How to Travel in Tibet
Traveling to Tibet is like no other! Even to the most experienced travelers, without the basic knowledge of Tibetan culture, Tibetan landscape, and its notoriously erratic weather, etc., your Tibet tour experience would certainly be compromised. However, don’t panic! It’s time for our Tibet travel gurus to take charge.
Gathering a wealth of practical knowledge from our local leaders, we teach you how to prepare your Tibet tour from scratch, and offer you expert advice for choosing an ideal attraction, with the latest information that matters a great deal to your journey. Read on to learn more.
What are the most important things for planning a Tibet tour?
Well, firstly to international tourists, you can only visit Tibet via a guided tour with a local Tibet agency like us.
Secondly, it’s better to book your Tibet tour with us at least 30 days in advance before your leave for Tibet since you need time to apply for Tibet Travel Permit, an essential travel document for entering Tibet.
Besides, due to the high altitude of Tibet (averaging 4,000 above sea level), you need to have the basic knowledge of how to avoid altitude sickness. The warm clothes, sun-protection gears, and personal medical kits, etc. should be well-prepared.
As to the day-to-day itinerary and other details like hotel, transfer, dining, local guide service, etc., our travel consultants will discuss with you in detail and properly arrange the tour for you. So, just stay fit and keep a great mood, then you are ready for Tibet.
What are the best experiences worth enjoying in Tibet?
Of all the tours in Tibet, nothing compares to the popularity of the 8-day Lhasa to Everest Base Camp tour. It offers you great opportunities to visit landmark Tibetan attractions in Lhasa, with the epic panorama of Himalayas, esp, the Mt. Everest.
If you love enjoying mountains and lakes, then focus on your visit in Lhasa, and extend your footprints to turquoise Lake Yamdrok and tranquil Lake Namtso. The otherworldly landscapes will take your breath away.
For devoted Buddhist's longing for the divine experience in Tibet, the 15-day Lhasa to Mt.Kailash tour promises the best spiritual adventure ever. The best highlight would be joining the local pilgrims for the legendary 3-day kora around holy Mt. Kailash
To those who want to combine your visit to both Tibet and Nepal, the epic overland tour from Lhasa to Kathmandu should live up to your expectation. The thrilling trans-Himalayan ride is nothing short of excitement.
What about the transporation in Tibet?
Over the years, Tibet has seen a tremendous upgrade in its infrastructures and the ability to accommodate worldwide tourists.
Nowadays, all the major attractions, dotted across cities and counties, are connected by well-paved asphalt roads.
You can enjoy our comfortable and spacious tour vehicles such as multiple-seat Ford Van from Lhasa all the way to Rongbuk Monastery, which is only mins’ walk to EBC.
While the overland routes from Chengdu or Kathmandu to Lhasa are also improved, except for parts of roads at the Sino-Nepal border.
To ensure travelers’ safety, speed limits are strictly imposed on all roads in Tibet. Though with exceedingly good road conditions, tour vehicles can run at a speed of 40-70 miles on the road.
Is it a good idea to visit Tibet in its rainy season, like in summer?
Well, it depends on what you expect to have in Tibet. In fact, the summer (June to Aug), or the so-called rainy season of Tibet, is the high season of Tibet tour, with an upsurge of global tourists coming.
The reason is simple. It’s the most pleasant time for Tibet tour. With verdant grasslands and gree trees, the oxygen level in Tibet reaches its maximum.
While the rain, which mostly falls at night due to the special geography, makes the previous arid air become more comfortable. So is the beauty of the holy lake further enhanced.
If your main goal is to enjoy epic Himalayan Range, esp. Mt. Everest, the summer may not be an ideal time, because the dense clouds may obstruct the visual. However, the eventful Tibetan festivals will make it up for you.
So, do visit Tibet in summer. It’s definitely beyond your expectation.
Is it safe to travel solo in Tibet?
Yes, absolutely. As all the international tourists can only visit Tibet by a guided tour, you will either travel in a Tibet small group tour or tour Tibet accompanied by a local guide as a private tour.
Your travel safety is guaranteed in both ways mentioned above. Meanwhile, locals are extremely friendly to overseas tourists. There is nothing to worry about.
What to eat during your Tibet tour?
Though known as a holy land of lofty peaks and mysterious monasteries, Tibet never disappoints your taste buds as well.
As a crucial trade hub connecting Nepal, India, and inland China, Tibet, esp. the Lhasa city, offers you great chances to enjoy the exhilarating culinary discovery.
You will follow our local leaders to taste the Tibetan staples like Tsampa, yak noodle soups, and Tibetan momos, yak stew, etc. in some of the finest Tibetan restaurants around Barkhor Street.
If you miss the western cuisine or want to try some authentic Nepali or Indian food, it’s also available. The succulent yak curry with garlic naan, Tandoori chicken or chicken tikka masala, etc, are worth fighting for every gulp.
Veggie-friendly food like veg momos, green beans, and yogurt with raisin, noodle soups, chili potatoes, etc. are also can be found.
While you travel beyond Lhasa or Shigatse to remote regions like EBC or Mt.Kailash, the option of food becomes very limited. Usually, the Sichuan dishes like egg-fried rice, chicken cubes with peanuts, and tomato egg soup, etc. are the frequent scene.
Our local leaders promise to take you to well-chosen restaurants with the food safety guarantee. You may prepare some biscuits or bread for the trek in remote regions.
Most Read Articles about How to Travel in Tibet
The top 4 most-read articles provide you with the most comprehensive guide to facilitate your travel in Tibet. From the step-by-step expert advice for tour planning to detailed tips to choose the best Tibetan experiences available, etc., you can save lots of energy for researching and make the most of your journey, once and for all.
More Travel Guide about How to Travel in Tibet
For travelers with varied interests and needs, the mammoth amount of tour advice below offers you the ultimate guide to traveling in Tibet in all aspects. Read on to learn more.
Plan Your Tour in Tibet
Whatever your interests are, we answer your questions and offer you the best travel solution and expert advice during the phase of tour planning. Check for more details.
- Tibet Group Tour: the Best Way to Tibet Visit for Many Tourists
- Seven Days in Tibet: how to plan a 7-day Tibet tour
- Mount Kailash or Mount Everest? Which One You Should Visit and What to Experience Respectively
- Can I Travel to Tibet? Top Concerns on Visiting Tibet or Not
- Tsedang Altitude: how to visit Lhoka with varied elevations
- The Ultimate Guide to Sichuan: Tibet Overland Tour
- What to Pack for Tibet Travel: the ultimate packing list you should follow
- Luxury Tibet Tours? It’s Possible!
- Technology In Tibet - The Top 9 Apps You Should Use On Your Tour
- The Ultimate Resource for Tibet Tour Planning
- Top 20 Things to Know Before You Travel to Tibet
- Nyingchi Transportation: how to travel easily in Nyingchi and beyond
- Lhasa to Kathmandu Overland: road condition from Lhasa to Kathmandu
- Can Americans Travel to Tibet? Tips for Americans Visiting Tibet
- Is the Rainy Season a Bad Time to Visit Tibet?
- Manasarovar or Namtso Lake, Which One Should You Visit?
- Where to Rent a Car in Lhasa?
- Johnny Ward, the Irish Travel Phenom's First Visit to Tibet with Tibet Vista
- Why Should You Combine 2021 Tokyo Olympics with A Trip to Tibet?
- How to Smoothly Visit Tibet under Travel Restrictions in 2023/2024
- Tibet Tourism 2023/2024: Have to Know These 12 Things
Top Experiences in Tibet
From top monasteries in Tibet to best-known Tibetan festivals and kora routes, etc, we offer you the best guide to top experiences in Tibet. Keep reading.
- 6 Experiences Cultural Explorers Shouldn't Miss in Lhasa
- Top 10 Things to Do for Tibet Culture Tour
- Top 4 Places to Enjoy the Holy Springs Around Lhasa in Summer
- Top 6 Gelugpa Monasteries in Tibet
- Top 2 Gelugpa Monasteries to Enjoy Buddha Unfolding Ceremony in Tibet
- Top 3 Most Peaceful Nunneries in Tibet
- Top Four Festivals in Tibet
- Top 8 Kora Routes in Tibet: where to experience the best Tibetan pilgrimage
- Top 5 Tibetan Off-the-Beaten-Track Monasteries for Tibet Tour
- Buddhist Hermitage: guide to top 2 buddhist hermitages in Tibet
- Attracted by Tibet’s Mountains? Check Out These Top Picks
- 20 Photos That Will Inspire You to Tour Tibet
- Lalu Wetland Lhasa: an off-the-beaten path for visiting Lhasa
- Top 10 Must-Visit Tibetan Monasteries for Your Tibet Travel
- Top Ten Reasons to Visit Tibet: Why Travel to Tibet
- Top Three Winter Tour Destinations in Tibet
- Plan to Propose to Her During Your Tibet Tour? Top Destinations to Propose in Tibet
Guide to Self-driving in Tibet
With our professional services, driving in Tibet is no longer a dream. Read the following guide to get fully prepared.
Tibet Tour for Couples
Enjoy the incredible Himalayan peaks with your partner or find a heavenly lake to propose to your loved one in Tibet. We offer you the helpful guide you need most now.
Advice for Solo Travelers to Tibet
Solo travelers are commonly seen in Tibet. Read the following tips to learn what you should be careful when planning your journey to Tibet.
More of Tibetan Culture and Customs
Wanna learn more of Tibetan culture? The following tips will satisfy your needs and get you inspired for Tibet travel.
- Monk Debate: A Bizarre Test of Tibetan Buddhism Study in Tibet
- Guge Kingdom, A Glimpse of the Ancient Tibetan Empire
- What is Tibet Known For? Why Tibet is a Once-in-a-Lifetime Trip?
- Tibet's Little Slice of Heaven: Nyingchi
- Top 5 Inspirational Tibetan Movies for Tibet Tour 2023/2024
- How to Visit a Tibetan Monastery? Any Special Things to Pay Attention to…
Most Popular Tibet Small Group Tours
No matter you are a solo traveler or will travel with your friends or relatives to Tibet, the small group tour is the most affordable and exhilarating way to enjoy the adventure with like-minded global travels in Tibet. We present you with the top 14 popular Tibet small groups for you. From the most classic 4-day tour in Lhasa to epic Lhasa to EBC or Mt.Kailash tour and overland journey to Nepal and beyond, you will have a journey of a lifetime in Tibet, with our expert team’s support and attentive one-stop services.
8 Days Lhasa to Everest Base Camp Small Group Tour: marvel at Mt.Everest real close
Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - Everest Base Camp - Lhasa
From USD939 p.pView Details
7 Days Lhasa to Kathmandu Overland Small Group Tour
Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - Everest Base Camp - Kathmandu
From USD979 p.pView Details
15 Days Kailash and Manasarova Small Group Tour: A pilgrim’s final fantasy and the greatest overland trip in Tibet.
Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - E.B.C - Lake Manasarova - Kailash Trek - Saga - Shigatse - Lhasa
From USD2059 p.pView Details
10 Days Lhasa to Everest Base Camp and Namtso Lake Small Group Tour
Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - Mt. Everest - Namtso - Lhasa
From USD1289 p.pView Details
8 Days Driving Across Himalaya Overland Adventure from Kathmandu to Lhasa
Kathmandu - Kyirong - Everest Base Camp - Tingri - Shigatse - Gyantse - Lhasa
From USD1069 p.pView Details
6 Days Travel to Sky Lake - Lhasa and Lake Namtso Small Group Tour
Lhasa - Namtso Lake - Lhasa
From USD779 p.pView Details