Lhasa to Kathmandu, the seven days overland tour, is one of the most sought after tours after the Everest Base Camp trek. In fact, the Lhasa to Kathmandu overland tour can also surpass the popularity of the Everest Base Camp trek, as the Everest Base Camp trek is not plausible for each and every individual or every age group.
The Lhasa to Kathmandu overland tour is a beautiful journey of seven days when the natural beauty presents her wonders at the most. The journey will take you through an elaborate tour round the historical sights of Lhasa, the best of the natural views and the most adventurous arid landscapes. The Friendship Highway is the connecting path between Lhasa and Kathmandu. The trip is one of the best experiences anyone can ever get and therefore if you are planning to travel Tibet, at least once in a lifetime.
Travel Permits Required
For making this overland trip, elaborate planning is required and also the travel documents have to be very precise. The basic travel documents required for the trip are –
1. Tibet Travel Permit. The Tibet Travel Permit is perhaps the most important travel document required to be shown at the border area, between Lhasa and Kathmandu.
2. Frontier Pass. Frontier Pass can be applied through Armed Police Tibet Frontier Corps in Lhasa. Without this paper, foreign travelers won’t be allowed to go to Mt. Everest or Nepal via Gyirong Border.
3. Aliens’ Travel Permit. Aliens’ Travel Permit is issued by the Public Security Bureau at the cost of CNY 50, without which travelers won’t even be able to reach the Everest Base Camp.
4. Tourism visas both for Nepal and for Tibet. Nepal government issues visas on arrival also. Therefore there is no problem all as you can issue it whenever plausible.
5. Special permit is required to be issued by the government and therefore it has to be taken along also.
6. All the documents that are collected on the journey like the receipts of the cars and other rental services should also be collected.
7. Your passport should positively be kept handy.
8. The photocopy of the first page of the passport should also be kept.
9. Keep two to three passport sized pictures along with you.
Best Time to Visit Tibet and Nepal
The most suitable time therefore to make this beautiful overland journey is any time other than winter. This means spring, summer and autumn are the ideal times to make this trip. The months of April to early June and then again from September to October are the best time to make this journey. The visibility remains super during this time.
You can witness the greenery of the rich Tibetan nature. The roads at least will not be slippery due to snow. All the areas remain accessible. Also camping is not at all a problem in this case. As the weather remains comfortable and cool, the camp can be set up anywhere. Thus these are the peak seasons when the trip should be executed.
Highlights of Lhasa-Kathmandu Overland Tour
The basic highlights of the Lhasa to Kathmandu overland tour are given below. The seven day journey is full of wonders. The basic highlights are –
Day 1-3 Lhasa Tour – Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple, Barkhor Street, Drepung Monastery,Sera Monastery
The initiation of the tour is with your arrival in Lhasa. Lhasa being situated at a very high altitude is required to be adjusted with. Thus, spend at least two to three days in Lhasa to acclimatize to the altitude. Visit the important tourism spots like Jokhang temple, Potala Palace, Barkhor Street and other such important tourism spots.
Day 4 Lhasa (3650m) to Shigatse(3900m) via Gyantse
After spending quality time in Lhasa and visiting the monasteries, you will begin your journey towards Shigatse. The place of Shigatse will be reached via Gyantse. In this journey we will come across, Mount Nyenchen Tanglha, Yamdrok-tso, Gyantse Kumbum and Gyanste fortress. You have to stay in Shigatse and then start again for the journey. In this route, other such visible sites are Pelkor Monastery and Karola Glacier and other such important visible sites.
Day 5 Shigatse(3900m) to EBC (5200m) via Tingri
The next day, we have to travel from Shigaste to Ebc via Tingri. After we have visited the Tashilhunpo Monastery in Shigatse, we will leave Shigatse, only after collecting the Alien Travel Permit. Then we will make our journey towards Everest Base Camp, travelling through the beautiful passes like Tsola and Gyatsola Pass and then finally Gawula Pass. After that finally, we will be reaching the Everest National Park. After that, witnessing the golden sunset at the peak of Mount Everest, we will be staying in Rongbuk Monastery and spend the night.
Day 6 EBC to Gyirong Border (370km)
The following day, after witnessing the mesmeric beauty of the sunrise against the Mount Everest and exploring Rongbuk Monastery, we will go straight the Gyirong Border-the new Sino Nepal border after the Zhangmu Border had been devastated by the earthquake of 2015. On the way, you will come across the beautiful site of Mount Shishapangma, Ghungtang Lamo and Pekutso lake. After arriving at Gyirong in the late afternoon, we will stay there.
Day 7 Gyirong to Nepal borders
In the following day, we will travel to Gyirong Border. From Gyirong Border, after all the documents had been checked, we will travel towards Kathmandu. It takes about half an hour or at the most one hour to travel from Gyirong Border to Kathmandu. The rest of the journey is very smooth and beautiful.
Things to Bring for Tibet Nepal Tour
Except for the documents, the packing for the Nepal tour should be very elaborate. The basic packing items are –
1. Enough winter clothes.
2. Special hiking pants.
3. Enough of woolen socks, gloves and hats.
4. Flannels and wind cheaters.
5. Definitely needed the rain coats.
6. Also you have to take sufficient cotton clothes too.
7. Also cotton inner wears are needed.
8. Except for the clothing materials, you need sunscreens, sunglasses, moisturizers, first aid kit and all types of medicines.
9. The toiletries should include wipes, dry shampoos, hand sanitizer and also water purifying tablets.
10. Lip balms should also be needed and be kept.
11. Flashlights should positively be taken.
12. Also carry light weight waterproof tents along with you.
13. Carry small thermos if possible.
14. Carry dry foods like chocolates and dry fruits.
15. Packaged drinking water should be carried as much as possible.
16. Carry instant foods or raw materials if you want to camp.
17. Also carry a small backpack.
How Long Is Needed to Travel both Nepal and Tibet?
Multiple ways have been invented to travel both to Tibet and Nepal. Therefore time is just a factor and different ways of travel requires different time. Both Tibet and Nepal are very nice places and they need at least an elaborate planning to cover up the essential places.
Many people do plan to travel Tibet and Nepal at the same time. In that case, you definitely have to compromise certain cities and places in both the countries but definitely keep the overland tour in your bucket list of tourism. Minimum a fifteen day trip has to be planned by you if you want to tour both Nepal and Tibet together. Out of which seven days have to be incorporated for the overland tour. The remaining eight days will have to be divided between Tibet and Nepal.
In Tibet you can incorporate your touring days to visit Lhasa, Shigatse and then to Everest Base Camp if the time permits. Otherwise, you can keep the Everest Base Camp travel for Nepal also. The trekking to Everest Base Camp will be hectic, so you might take a bus directly from the Friendship Highway to the Base Camp area as time is very limited.
Otherwise, for the limited time, in Nepal, you should definitely visit Kathmandu, the capital city. Also Nepal is mainly known for its variety and multiple culture and cuisines. So touring Kathmandu will be enough to bask in the rich culture of Nepal.
Therefore Nepal will require the remaining four days, if you want to tour it elaborately. If you want to trek to the Everest Base Camp region, then perhaps you have to keep four days for it.
Therefore, no matter what the situation is, the capital cities of both Tibet and Nepal should not be missed. They hold the rich emblem of the cultures of both the destinations, hence they cannot be missed. A detailed survey and a planned itinerary will help you choose the correct number of days for touring both Nepal and Tibet.
Thus these are the few facts that are required to be known when you are thinking of touring Nepal and Tibet and indulging in a planned overland tour from Lhasa to Kathmandu. Keep in mind all the specifications before you set out for this amazing trip. Tours between Tibet and Nepal are not limited to a certain length, and can even be tailored by us to suit your individual needs. Group tours are the most popular, as it can reduce the cost of the trip, but if you require it, an individual tour can also be arranged, to meet your exact specifications. Just tell us your plan and we’ll take care of the rest!