Most important Nyingmapa monasteries
About Dorje Drak Monastery
Along with Mindroling Monastery, Dorje Drak Monastery is 1 of the 2 most important Nyingmapa monasteries. With a remote and romantic location, it is less accessible than Mindroling Monastery and consequently gets few western visitors.
Dorje Drak Monastery was founded by the 1st Rigdzin Godemchen Ngodrub Gyeltsen. In 1632 the monastery relocated from Tsang to its present tranquil setting on the north bank of the Yarlung Tsangpo River, or Brahmaputra, when the young 3rd Rigdzin Ngagiwangpo and his ruardian Jangdak Tashi Topgyel were forced to flee the wrath of the kins of Tsang. Their successor, the erudite 4th Rigdzin Pema Trinle greatly enlarged the monastery before his untimely death at the hands of the Dzungar Mongolians, who sacked the monastery in 1717.
The main assembly hall has statues of Guru Rinpoche and Pema Trinley, the 4th Rigdzin. The Samsum Namgyel Gonkhang to the right has 5 butter sculptures representing the chapel’s 5 protectors. A cabinet holds the monastery’s treasures, including a fragment of a staff belonging to Milarepa that was smashed in the Cultural Revolution. The upstairs chapel sells lovely ground juniper incense.
A demanding 1/2 hour kora lead around the back of the dorje shaped rock behind the monastery, up to a ruined retreat atop the rock. The path overlooks some dramatic sand dunes and the views from the retreat are simply stunning.
Tips of Dorje Drak Monastery
1. There are Tibetan-style beds at the Monastery Guesthouse.
2. Soft drinks and instant noodles are available in the small shops.
Attractions nearby Dorje Drak Monastery
Recommended Tour Itineraries Including Dorje Drak Monastery
Yamdrok Lake is one of three most sacred lakes in Tibet. Tibet Vista provides more than 10 tour packages including these tourist attractions in Tsedang Prefecture at the best price.
Popular Tsedang Tour Deals
- 5 Days Lhasa and Yamdrok Lake Small Group Tour Lhasa - Yamdrok Lake - Lhasa
- 5 Days Lhasa and Yamdrok-tso Lake Tour Lhasa - Yamdrok Lake - Lhasa
- 9 Days Central Tibet Tour with Premium Cultural Destinations Lhasa - Tsedang - Gyantse - Shigatse - Lhasa
- 12 Days Tibet Tour to the Historical Sites along the Brahmaputra River Lhasa- Nyingchi - Tsedang- Shigatse- Lhasa
How to get thereAddress: North Bank of Yalong River, Gongga County
1. Boat-- Regular boat are available in the morning and afternoon. You can also rent a boat if you like.
Best time to visit it
Map of Dorje Drak Monastery
enlarge the map