The highest lake in the world, second largest lake in Tibet
About Siling Tso
Lying on the border between Peru and Bolivia of South America, Lake Titicaca sits at 3,812 meters above sea level. For a long time, people in the West regarded this lake as the world’s highest lake. Whereas in Tibet, nearly 1,000 lakes are higher than 4,000 meters above sea level and 17 lakes are 5,000 meters high.
According to Chinese scientists, the Siling Tso of Tibet should be the highest lake in the world. Located in the Zhongba County, the 5,386-meter high fresh-water lake flows into the Yarlung Tsangpo River. The lake lies on a tundra of very rigid natural condition.
Siling Tso is also the 2nd largest lake (the largest one is Namtso Lake) in Tibet, lying at the south of the Changtang Plateau. In accordance with legend, Siling is an arch devil who used to live in Duilongdeqing County, west of Lhasa. He greedily devoured thousands of lives everyday including both human beings and animals. One day, Padamasambhava found Siling and asked him to stay in the lake forever and confess. From then on, people called the lake “Siling Tso”, which means the “Siling Devil Lake”.
Tips of Siling Tso
After you get off the bus, there are still several km away from the Siling Tso. Be careful, because there are many marshes nearby.
Attractions nearby Siling Tso
Recommended Tour Itineraries Including Siling Tso
As one of the grandest festivals in Tibet, Nagqu Horse Racing will be held every August. A lot natural and cultural tourists attractions in Nagqu attract a noumber of tourists to come. Tibet Vista provides more than 10 Nagqu tour packages including these tourist attractions at the best price.
Popular Nagqu Tour Deals
- 6 Days Lhasa and Lake Namtso Small Group Tour Lhasa - Namtso Lake - Lhasa
- 8 Days Tibet Nagqu Horse Racing Festival Budget Travel by Train Lhasa - Nagqu - Lhasa
- 8 Days Yushu Horse Racing Festival Tour Xining - Tongren - Madoi - Yushu - Xining
- 10 Days Lhasa to EBC and Namtso Lake Small Group Tour by train Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - Mt. Everest - Namtso - Lhasa
- 18 Days Cycling Tour from Golmud to Lhasa Golmud - Kunlun Mountain - Wudaoliang - Tuotuo River - Amdo - Nagqu - Namtso - Yangpachen - Lhasa
How to get there
Best time to visit it
Map of Siling Tso
enlarge the map