Primary monastery of Kadampa
About Reting Monastery
Reting Monastery is about 150 km from Lhasa. Reting Monastery, at an elevation of 4,150m, is the seat of the Reting Rinpoche: this lineage started in the eighteenth century when the seventh Dalai Lama appointed his tutor as abbot of Reting.
The monastery dates back to 1056. It was initially associated with Atisha but in its later years it had an important connection with the Gulugpa order and the Dalai Lamas. Reting Monastery is 25 km from the crossroads settlement of Phongdo, which has a ruined dzong and is overlooked by a mountain of near-perfect conical proportions. There are a handful of shops and restaurants here.
The current main assembly hall, or Tsogchen, is half its original size. Enter the hall to the right to get to the main inner shrine, the Utse (women not allowed). The central statue of Jampai Dorje is an unusual amalgam of the gods Jampelyang, Chana Dorje and Chenresig.
To the left is an ancient Thangka of Drolma that, accoeding to the resident monks, was brought here by Atisha himself. A wooden box beside the altar holds the giant molar of Sangye Wosong, the Buddha before Sakyamuni. To the left of the Utse is a rare mural of the fourteenth Dalai Lama. To the right of the entrance is a picture of the current Reting Rinpoche. In front of the entrance is a platform used for creating sand mandalas. Behind the Utse is a storeroom stuffed with Tantric drums and Buddha statues.
As you leave the chapel look for a second hall to your right. The hall contains a gold chorten with the remains of the sixth Reting Rinpoche. Lining the back wall are statues of all 6 previous Reting Rinpoches. The metal box in the right cornr holds a giant Thangka, unveiled once a year.
Tips of Reting Monastery
1. Every Wednesday in the Drepung Monastery, there is a grand sutra-reading event.
2. You’d better take a cab to there, because if you go by bus, you have to climb a mountain for half another to get Drepung Monastery.
Attractions nearby Reting Monastery
Recommended Tour Itineraries Including Reting Monastery
It couldn't be better to tour Lhasa famous tourist attractions when travelling in Tibet. Tibet Vista provides more than 10 Lhasa tour packages including these tourist attractions at the best price.
Popular Lhasa Tour Deals
- 3 Days Lhasa Tour at a Glimpse Lhasa
- 4 Days Lhasa Impression Small Group Tour Lhasa
- 5 Days Lhasa Small Group Tour with Three Major Monasteries Lhasa
- 5 Days Lhasa and Yamdrok Lake Small Group Tour Lhasa - Yamdrok Lake - Lhasa
- 6 Days Lhasa and Lake Namtso Small Group Tour Lhasa - Namtso Lake - Lhasa
- 6 Days Central Tibet Culture Small Group Tour Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse- Lhasa
- 8 Days Lhasa to Everest Base Camp Small Group Tour Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - Everest Base Camp - Lhasa
How to get thereAddress: Tangguo Village, Linzhou County, Lhasa. 152KM northeast of Lhasa
Transportation: 1. Shuttle Bus - The shuttle bus leaves at 7:30 in the morning at the Lhasa Eastern Bus Station, CNY 31/ person.
Best time to visit itYou can actually visit Reting Monastery all year round.
Opening Hours: 7:00 - 19:00
Admission FeeCNY 30
Map of Reting Monastery
View Larger Map