How to Get to Everest Base Camp (EBC) from Lhasa?
Located in the southwest of Tibet, Everest Base Camp, also EBC, is the first camp of Mount Everest, and generally, it is also the farthest place where the common travelers can be. Travelers swarm in Tibet every year to catch a glimpse of Mount Everest. Then, how to get to the Everest Base Camp (EBC) from Lhasa?
Everest Base Camp
As we all know, foreigners who travel in Tibet must be organized by certain qualified travel agencies being accompanied by tour guides all along their Tibet tours, and are not allowed to take the county buses by themselves alone, so as for the transportation means of traveling to EBC from Lhasa, it’s usually tourist bus or 4WDs rented by the travel agency. However, there are many different but meaningful choices of routes available.
Getting to EBC by Car
Tourists usually go to EBC from Lhasa by bus provided by a travel agency or 4WDs, which is also one of the most popular modes of transportation and can kill two birds with one stone - Tourists can spend their time devoting themselves to the scenery along the road while resting their heads on the seats. Yamdrok-Tso Lake is one of the unmissable attractions on the way to Mount Everest. As long as the weather is bright, the lake will show you its beauty unreservedly. A breeze drives little puffs of fleecy clouds across an ultramarine sky, with a bright lake lying under it, and the turquoise lake surrounded by magnificent mountains. All these will make you travel in a picturesque world, and evokes your primordial sense of awe for the landscape.
Getting to EBC by Car can appreciate impressive scenery
If you think Yamdrok Lake is admirable enough to feast your eyes, you are all wet, because this is just the beginning of your journey by car. Tourists can stand by Karola Glacier exclaiming the magic power of nature, get to Simi La Pass to hang the prayer with their devout hope for the future, also visit Pelkor Monastery to scrutinize this Tibetan Buddhism building which fuses the feature of Sakyapa, Kadampa and Gelugpa together. When you arrive at Shigatse, Tashihunpo Monastery will come into view. It is said that Tashihunpo Monastery is comparable with Potala Palace in Tibet.
Pull away from Shigatse, you will stay for minutes at the 5000-meter monument of 318 National Highway to take some pictures. Continuing to moving on, you can look afar the magnificent Mount Everest for the first time at the Gyatso-La Pass, and then appreciate the world’s breathtaking peaks at Gawula Pass, including Makalu (8463m), Shishapangma (8012m), Cho Oyu (8210m), Lhotse (8516m), Everest (8850m), etc. As long as you catch a glimpse of Rongbuk Monastery, getting to Everest Base Camp is as easy as rolling off a log. In actual fact, the splendid scenery along the road is the reason why people are keen on getting from Lhasa to EBC by car.
Getting to EBC by Bike or Motorbike
Cycling or motorcycling to EBC from Lhasa is also an alternative suggestion, which will lead people who have a high regard for Tibet and go for in cycling or motorcycling are on top of the world. Because this kind of tour not only makes travelers observe and learn from the local life, bus also is a journey of refreshing people’s soul. Certainly, it is also an adventure for those lacking experience of riding on the plateau, particularly in Qinghai-Tibet Plateau – the roof of the world.
Cycling to EBC is also an excellent option
Therefore it is necessary to join in a group tour, accompanied by an experienced local tour guide, travelers don’t need to worry about altitude sickness, road condition, the preparation for bike or motorbike. As a professional Tibet Tour Agency, we have already customized cycling and motorcycling tour for travelers according to different health conditions – 4WDs and bike. This special riding tour is so humanized when feeling like a fish out of water during Everest cycling tour, you can pack up the bikes and take the car. Yet if you are fit as a fiddle, you can pull out all the stops, the car can guarantee your trip to EBC.
Getting to EBC by Trekking
Mount Everest has appealed to adventurous people from four corners of the earth. George Mallory, Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay, these outstanding people trekked across Mount Everest, thousands of adventurers have followed, even making huge sacrifices. However, now, trek to Mount Everest is not a dream. As long as you possess the spirit of adventure, have plenty of time and is in good health, accompanied by Tibetan your guide, you can start this meaningful and impressive trip.
EBC trekking makes people who love the adventure excited
In general, people will trek around 70 kilometers from the Old Tingri(4390m) to Everest Base Camp(5200m), which will last about 4 days. There are many guest houses along the road, it is not essential to worry about accommodation and food. At the same time, the tour guide also will offer perfect service, the tourist just needs to indulge in bewitching plateau scenery and bright sunshine. Besides, you can also choose to trek 4 kilometers to EBC from Rongbuk Monastery, if just want to experience.
Trek to EBC is a dreamed journey for every Tom, Dick, and Harry. Today is much safer than before, why not join in this trekking tour to witness the highest mountain in the world. Maybe you have many scruples about trekking, but a qualified travel agency will dispel your misgivings. Booking your own EBC tour admits of no delay, for upcoming peak season.
Getting to EBC by Train
There are no planes or trains leading to EBC and you may know quite clear about that, but taking a train from Lhasa to Shigatse is a nice option. Those who are planning to travel Tibet don’t have plenty of time, taking the train to Shigatse can save much time and physical strength to do the rest of the trip. Nevertheless, a number of tourists are still fond of taking cars or riding or trekking, thus they can appreciate the attractive Yamdro-Tso Lake. From what has said above, you can choose any one of means of transportation that you prefer. If you want to know more details and plan your own Everest Base Camp tour, do not hesitate to contact us.
Shigatse Train Station
Other Useful Tips
1. Due to the high altitude, the big temperature difference between daytime and night can make people catch a cold quite easily, and increase the risk of altitude sickness. So it is extremely vital to prepare proper clothes.
2. Although basking in the sunshine is so enjoyable, sunglass, sunhat and sun cream are of essence for strong ultraviolet light from the sun.
3. There are regular buses running between different counties of Tibet. But, due to some reasons, foreigners are not allowed to take the regular buses alone and they can only travel in Tibet organized by qualified travel agencies.
4. Traveling in Tibet needs Tibet Travel Permit and other related documents, such as Alien's Travel Permits, Frontier Pass. Your travel agent will help you apply for.
5. The best time to visit Everest Base Camp is from April to October, but July and August are not good months to trek for abundant rain, if you want to know more detailed information, you can refer to Tibet Everest weather and climate.
6. As we all know, all Tibetan are devout Buddhists, so please respect their religious belief.
More Mount Everest Base Camp Travel Guide
- Everest Base Camp Nepal vs Everest Base Camp Tibet
- Mount Everest History and Its Famous Explorers
- The Difference of Mt. Everest in Nepal and Tibet
- Kathmandu to EBC Distance: how far and how to get to EBC in Nepal and Tibet from Kathmandu
- How Many Base Camps on Everest in Both Sides of Tibet and Nepal
Everest Base Camp Tour Guide
- Best Time to Travel to Everest Base Camp
- When is the Best Time to Enjoy EBC Trek in Nepal
- The Best Hotel at Everest Base Camp (EBC)
- Guide to Everest Base Camp Tour in Winter
- How to Get to Everest Base Camp (EBC) from Nepal?
- How to Get to Everest Base Camp (EBC) from Lhasa?
- What Documents Do I Need for Everest Base Camp Tour in Tibet and Nepal?
Everest Trekking Guide
- What to Pack for Everest Base Camp Trek
- Tingri to Everest Base Camp Trekking
- Everest Trek: Trekking Routes along The Gama Valley
- Everest Base Camp Trekking Maps in Tibet
- Ultimate Packing List for EBC Trek in Tibet
- Best Trek in Nepal: Everest Base Camp Trek vs. Annapurna Circuit Trek
- Top 2 EBC Trekking Routes in Tibet
- EBC Trek in Tibet vs. EBC Trek in Nepal
Recommended Everest Base Camp Tour Packages
7 Days Lhasa to Kathmandu Overland Small Group Tour
Tour Route: Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - Everest Base Camp - Kathmandu
From USD950 p.p
8 Days Lhasa to Everest Base Camp Small Group Tour
Tour Route:Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - Everest Base Camp - Lhasa
From USD850 p.p
10 Days Lhasa to Everest Base Camp and Namtso Lake Small Group Tour
Tour Route:Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - Mt. Everest - Namtso - Lhasa
From USD1180 p.p