7 Days Xining and Central Tibet Culture Tour by Train
(XTT007) Tibet train (from Xining) - Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - Lhasa
Escorted by private guide and vehicle; leave 365 days a year!
Easy - suitable for all level of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
Trip Level Guide:
- Easy - suitable for all level of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
- Moderate - suitable for ones with average level fitness, family with kids bigger than 12 yrs.
- Moderate to Strenous - suitable for ones physically fit; have experiences of high altitude trek.
- Strenuous: suitable for adventures and individual with physically fit and healthy.
This tour is well-tailored for tourists with strong interests on Tibet Buddhist culture, and covers three largest cities in central Tibet – Lhasa, Shigatse and Gyantse. After arriving in Tibet by train, you will immerse yourself in the authentic Tibet culture and unique religion by visiting remarkable monasteries and relics, including Jokhang Temple, Potala Palace, Pelkor Monastery, as well as Tashilhunpo Monastery etc. On the other hand, you will also expect to view breathtaking Tibetan scenery like Yamdrok Lake and Karola Glacier as you travel from Lhasa to Shigatse.
At a GlanceDay 1
Board the Train to Lhasa from XiningDay 2
Scenery View on the Train; Arrive in LhasaDay 3
Lhasa Sightseeing: Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple and Barkhor StreetDay 4
Lhasa Sightseeing: Drepung Monastery and Sera MonasteryDay 5
Lhasa to ShigatseDay 6
Shigatse to LhasaDay 7
Departure from Lhasa
Day to Day Itinerary
Day 1: Board the Train to Lhasa from Xining
Fantastic Tibet travel will start with boarding on Xining-Lhasa train from Xining Railway Station. Our local guide would send train ticket and Tibet Travel Permit to you before train departs. Please be sure to bring all your belongings and Tibet visa to Xining Railway Station one and a half hour ahead.
Stay overnight on the Train
Day 2: Scenery View on the Train; Arrive in Lhasa
Today, you will witness the most beautiful scenery of Qinghai-Tibet Railway. Endless land of snows, vast desert, boundless grassland, snow-capped mountains and stunning lakes will continually appear and strongly attract your heart.
When you arrive in Lhasa, your tour guide will hold a board with your name on it at the exit to welcome you. A private car will take you to the reserved hotel. You may view the Yarlung Tsangpo River/Bhamaputra River (the Longest and largest river in Tibet) and Lhasa River on the way to downtown Lhasa.
Stay overnight in Lhasa.
Day 3: Lhasa Sightseeing: Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple and Barkhor Street
In the morning, visit the famous Potala Palace and explore the grandest of this myriad chapel. You will appreciate its audience halls, the jeweled and golden burial chortens (stupa Tombs) of past Dalai Lamas, and tremendous number of Buddhist frescoes, thangkas, combinations of mandala, etc.
In the afternoon, visit the holist temple in Tibet, the Jokhang Temple, built during Songtsen Gonpo's reign by princess Wencheng of Tang Dynasty, 647 A.D, and its famous Barkhor Kora, where you can buy or appreciate traditional Tibetan artifacts, religious implements, antiques, books, Tibetan music instrument, Thangkas, and tradition Tibetan clothes etc. You will have a chance to get close to appreciate how the artists draw Thangkas at the Thangka workroom at Barkhor.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 4: Lhasa Sightseeing: Drepung Monastery and Sera Monastery
In the morning, you are going to visit Drepung monastery which was one of the “three greet” Gelug monasteries of Tibet and was founded in 1416 by Jamyang choge, one of the Tsongkhapa’s main disciples. Ganden palace was used as Dalai Lama’s palace in the Drepung before moving to the Potala palace.
In the afternoon, visit the Sera Monastery, which is one of the “three great” Gelug monasteries of Tibet and was founded in 1419 by Jamchen chojey, one of the Tsongkhapa’s main disciples. The Most attraction is the Monks debate at around 3:00 - 5:00 in the afternoon.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 5: Lhasa to Shigatse
Today, we will drive from Lhasa to Shigatse via Gyantse. On the way, we’ll drive over the Gangbala Pass (4790m) to view Yamdrok Lake and Mt. Naiqinkangsang. Besides, you can also appreciate Karola Glacier on the roadside. At Manak Dam Lake, tourists can hang pray flag at Simila Mountain Pass.
Then we’ll go to the heritage town Gyantse and explore its old street, Pelkor Monastery and Kumbum Stupa. Here you can far view Gyantse Fortress.
Later, we’ll arrive at Shigatse, the second largest city in Tibet. And tourists can visit traditional Barley Mill and view the landscape of Barley Field (in summer).
Stay Overnight in Shigatse
Day 6: Shigatse to Lhasa
In the morning, we will visit the home of Panchen Lama - Tashilhunpo Monastery. It is largest monastery of the Gelug Sect in Rear Tibet, and the main stage where generations of Panchen Lamas carried out religious and political activities. Then we’ll follow Yalong Valley back to Lhasa and drop you off at hotel in Lhasa.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 7: Departure from Lhasa
The guide will transfer you to the airport or train station and help you get on board.
- Tibet travel permit and all other necessary permits to Tibet;
- All entrance ticket fees for all tourist sites listed in the itinerary;
- Personal knowledgeable English-speaking Tibetan local tour guide;
- Personal comfortable, clean and safe vehicle with reliable Tibetan local driver; vehicle ranging from 4WD land cruiser to minibus depending on your group size;
- All lodging listed in the itinerary; it’s your decision about the accommodation class: luxury 5-star international hotel, comfortable 4-star hotel, economic 3-star hotel or budget hostel, guesthouse or tent. Please tell us your accommodation preference when submitting the enquiry; we will arrange the best-value hotels for you.
- Domestic flight/train tickets listed in the itinerary;
- All meals listed in the above itinerary;
- Tourist accident/casualty insurance;
- First aid kit;
- International flight to and out of China;
- Chinese visa (Note: we could help you with the Chinese visa application, like providing the invitation letter, presenting the hotel or domestic flight reservation copies, etc that you may need. )
- Domestic flight/train not listed in the itinerary. (We can provide you the domestic flight/train ticket booking service at the BEST discount price; please contact us our travel experts for the details.)
- Meals not specified in the itinerary; usually it costs about USD3-15 per person for one meal in TAR (Tibet Autonomous Region).
- Tips and gratitude to tour guide and driver;
- Personal expenses, like laundry, phone call, snacks, soft drinks (please do the best to avoid the alcoholic beverages during your Tibet trip), optional tour activities, etc.
Contact us for your dream trip now !Enquire Now
You May Also Like
10 Days Xining and Tibet Natural Scenery Tour by Train
Xining-Qinghai Lake-Lhasa-Namtso-Shigatse-Mt.Everest Tour
10 Days Xining to Lhasa and Sacred Namtso Lake Tour
Xining - Qinghai Lake - Lhasa - Namsto Lake - Lhasa
11 Days Xining to Lhasa and EBC Kathmandu Tour
Xining - Qinghai Lake - Lhasa - Shigatse - EBC - Old Tingri - Kathmandu
17 days Xining and Tibet in-depth Tour by Train
Xining - Qinghai Lake - Gansu - Lhasa - Tesdang - Gyantse - Shigatse - Lhasa
Most Frequently Asked Questions from our Clients
Get Started - 7 Days Xining and Central Tibet Culture Tour by Train