8 Days Classic Xining to Tibet Tour by Train
(XTT001) Xining - Qinghai Lake - Lhasa
Escorted by private guide and vehicle; leave 365 days a year!
Easy - suitable for all levels of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
Trip Level Guide:
- Easy - suitable for all level of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
- Moderate - suitable for ones with average level fitness, family with kids bigger than 12 yrs.
- Moderate to Strenous - suitable for ones physically fit; have experiences of high altitude trek.
- Strenuous: suitable for adventures and individual with physically fit and healthy.
Xining, a crucial overland gateway to Tibet, serves as the beginning of the essence of Qinghai-Tibet Railway. It’s the commercial and cultural hub of multiple ethnic groups, such as Tibetan, Han and Hui, etc. Tourists will be able to enjoy the distinct architecture and culture in well-known Islamic mosque and Tibetan Gelugpa Monastery. A variety of local cuisines, esp. Hui snacks, are worth a try. In addition, a hundred kilometers away from Xining lies the China’s largest saline lake, i.e. Qinghai Lake. Its stunning view allures a sizeable number of tourists to visit here each year. After Xining tour is done, you will enjoy the Xining-Lhasa train to head to Tibet and explore the holiness of Tibetan Buddhism, unparalleled alpine scenery and exotic culture in Tibet.
At a GlanceDay 1
Arrive in XiningDay 2
XiningCity Tour: Ta’er Monastery & Dongguan MosqueDay 3
Qinghai Lake Day TourDay 4
Board the Overnight Train to LhasaDay 5
Arrive in Lhasa: Acclimatization to the plateauDay 6
Lhasa Tour - Potala Palace, Johkang Temple and Barkhor StreetDay 7
Lhasa Tour - Drepung and Sera MonasteryDay 8
Departure from Lhasa
Day to Day Itinerary
Day 1: Arrive in Xining
After our clients arrive in in Xining airport or railway station, the guide will be greeting you and later get you transferred toyour hotel. The rest of the time is at leisure. You can have a good rest or walk around in the city.
Stay overnight in Xining
Day 2: XiningCity Tour: Ta’er Monastery & Dongguan Mosque
In the morning, we are about to visit Ta’er Monastery, one of the must-see religious sites in Xining. Located 25km to the northeast of Xining City, Ta’er Monastery is also called “Kumbum Monastery”. It’s one of the major Gelugpa monasteries of Tibetan Buddhism and the birthplace of Tsongkhapa, well-known Tibetan Buddhist master. You can see many devoted Tibetan pilgrims doing full-body prostration to the Buddha, magnificent Buddhist hall and exquisite murals and Tibetan butter flowers,etc.
In the afternoon, we will move to Dongguan Mosque in downtown area of Xining City. The impressive mosque has a mixture of Tibetan, Han, and Arabic and European architectural styles. It’s a great place to see large-scale Muslims praying inside the prayer hall, esp the Friday prayer time in the afternoon. You can learn more of Muslim culture and religion, as opposed to the Tibetan monastery you’ve visited in the morning.
Stay overnight in Xining
Day 3: Qinghai Lake Day Tour
In the morning, drive about 2.5 hours from Xining to Qinghai Lake, China's largest inland salt water lake. The ellipse-shaped lake looks like a huge poplar leaf sitting on the alpine prairie. Scenery in Qinghai lake varies according to seasons. Summer and autumn have the most comfortable weather conditions and the lake's scenery is most beautiful during these seasons. The most charming and attractive place in Qinghai Lake is the Bird Island. It situates on the western shore of the Lake. Cruising for about 30 minutes is a popular way to appreciate the lake. On the way to this charming lake, you can get a view of Riyue mountain. After the day tour, we will head back to city of Xining.
Stay overnight in Xining
Day 4: Board the Overnight Train to Lhasa
Day 5: Arrive in Lhasa: Acclimatization to the plateau
When you arrive in Lhasa either by Tibet train, your guide will greet you and take you to your hotel. Tourists may view the Yarlung Tsangpo River/ Bhamaputra river (the Longest and largest river in Tibet) and Lhasa river on their way to Lhasa.
After arriving in Lhasa, you can take a rest and get acclimatized to high altitude. If you feel to go out, then you can go to the Potala Square, where you will enjoy the fountain with different colors and get amazing photos of the Potala and around.
For the new-comers of Tibet, to get acclimatized to the high altitude in Tibet. Having a good sleep in your hotel is a good option. Don not rush to visit attractions inside Lhasa city.
Stay overnight in Lhasa.
Day 6: Lhasa Tour - Potala Palace, Johkang Temple and Barkhor Street
Today's tour will first bring you to the Potala Palace which is the winter palace of the Dalai lama. It was put to use since the 7th Century by the 33rd great king of Tibet. The most valuable collections of Potala Palace are the gilded burial stupas of former Dalai Lamas and meditation Cave of the 33rd great king of Tibet.
Then after lunch, tourists head to Jokhang Temple which was founded by the 33rd great king of Tibet in the 7th century, in order to promote the Buddhist religion. Inside you can see the statue of Buddha Sakyamuni at the age of twelve, perhaps the only most venerated object in Tibetan Buddhism. Around the temple is Barkhor Street where you can do kora (a religious circle of a building or mountain) with pilgrims and locals, in the meantime you can buy souvenirs.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 7: Lhasa Tour - Drepung and Sera Monastery
In the morning ,you are going to visit Drepung Monastery which is one of the “great three” Gelug monasteries of Tibet, founded in 1416 by Jamyangchoge, one of the Tsongkhapa’s main disciples. Ganden palace used to be Dalai lama’s palace in the Drepung before he moved to the Potala palace.
In the Afternoon, Tourists will visit Sera Monastery which is another one of the “great three” Gelug monasteries of Tibet, founded in 1419 by JamchenChojey, one of the Tsongkhapa’s main disciples. The hot attraction is the Monks debate at around 3 - 5 in the afternoon.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 8: Departure from Lhasa
The guide will transfer you to the airport or train station and help you get on board.
- Tibet travel permit and all other necessary permits to Tibet;
- All entrance ticket fees for all tourist sites listed in the itinerary;
- Personal knowledgeable English-speaking Tibetan local tour guide;
- Personal comfortable, clean and safe vehicle with reliable Tibetan local driver; vehicle ranging from 4WD land cruiser to minibus depending on your group size;
- All lodging listed in the itinerary; it’s your decision about the accommodation class: luxury 5-star international hotel, comfortable 4-star hotel, economic 3-star hotel or budget hostel, guesthouse or tent. Please tell us your accommodation preference when submitting the enquiry; we will arrange the best-value hotels for you.
- Domestic flight/train tickets listed in the itinerary;
- All meals listed in the above itinerary;
- Tourist accident/casualty insurance;
- First aid kit;
- International flight to and out of China;
- Chinese visa (Note: we could help you with the Chinese visa application, like providing the invitation letter, presenting the hotel or domestic flight reservation copies, etc that you may need. )
- Domestic flight/train not listed in the itinerary. (We can provide you the domestic flight/train ticket booking service at the BEST discount price; please contact us our travel experts for the details.)
- Meals not specified in the itinerary; usually it costs about USD3-15 per person for one meal in TAR (Tibet Autonomous Region).
- Tips and gratitude to tour guide and driver;
- Personal expenses, like laundry, phone call, snacks, soft drinks (please do the best to avoid the alcoholic beverages during your Tibet trip), optional tour activities, etc.
Contact us for your dream trip now !Enquire Now
You May Also Like
10 Days Xining and Tibet Natural Scenery Tour by Train
Xining-Qinghai Lake-Lhasa-Namtso-Shigatse-Mt.Everest Tour
10 Days Xining to Lhasa and Sacred Namtso Lake Tour
Xining - Qinghai Lake - Lhasa - Namsto Lake - Lhasa
11 Days Xining to Lhasa and EBC Kathmandu Tour
Xining - Qinghai Lake - Lhasa - Shigatse - EBC - Old Tingri - Kathmandu
17 days Xining and Tibet in-depth Tour by Train
Xining - Qinghai Lake - Gansu - Lhasa - Tesdang - Gyantse - Shigatse - Lhasa
Most Frequently Asked Questions from our Clients
Get Started - 8 Days Classic Xining to Tibet Tour by Train