5 Days Tibet New Year Festival Tour in Winter
Escorted by private guide and vehicle; leave 365 days a year!
Easy - suitable for all level of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
Trip Level Guide:
- Easy - suitable for all level of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
- Moderate - suitable for ones with average level fitness, family with kids bigger than 12 yrs.
- Moderate to Strenous - suitable for ones physically fit; have experiences of high altitude trek.
- Strenuous: suitable for adventures and individual with physically fit and healthy.
Travel to Tibet during Tibetan New Year(also known as Losar), the most important festival for Tibetans, tourists will join locals’ family, and eat traditional food such as “Gutu”, i.e. dough drops, visit monasteries, and circle around religious sites. During the festival, people celebrate by some ancient ceremonies which represent the struggle between good and evil, dancing, singing, and merrymaking. Lamas are chanting and passing fire torches through the crowds to exorcise the evil spirits.
The entire celebration is expected to last 15 days. As the Losar is celebrated in winter, when there will be no too many crowds. So, it’s a great chance to join in some events and you will have ample time to experience various aspects of New Year celebration, like praying in monastery, and circling religious route with your tour guide.
At a GlanceDay 1
Arrive in LhasaDay 2
Lhasa Tour - Potola Palace, Jokhang Temple and Barkhor Street (B)Day 3
Lhasa Tour - Norbulingka, Drepung Monastery and Sera Monastery (B)Day 5
Departure from Lhasa (B)Day 4
Ganden Monastery and Wetland Wild Birds (B)
Day to Day Itinerary
Day 1: Arrive in Lhasa
Upon your arrival at Lhasa airport or train station, you will be greeted by your Tibetan guide and escorted to your hotel in Lhasa. Then check in at the hotel, and have a good rest to acclimatize the high altitude.
Stay overnight in Lhasa.
Day 2: Lhasa Tour - Potola Palace, Jokhang Temple and Barkhor Street (B)
In the morning, we will visit the famous Potala Palace in which you can see tremendous number of Buddhist frescoes, thangkas, combinations of mandala.
In the afternoon, tourists are expected to pay a visit to the holist temple in Tibet, the Johkang Temple, built during Songtsen Gonpo's reign by princess Wencheng of Tang Dynasty, 647 A.D, and experience the religious circling around Barkhor street.
Later, we will visit local Tibetans’ family and learn to make traditional new year’s food “Gutu”, i.e. Dough drops with them and have dinner with them.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 3: Lhasa Tour - Norbulingka, Drepung Monastery and Sera Monastery (B)
After breakfast, you are driven to visit the Norbulingka Park, the former summer palace of Dalai Lama and explore the beautiful gardens and one of the most holy sites in Tibetan Buddhism.
Next, come to Drepung Monastery, which was once the largest Tibetan Buddhist monastery housing 10,000 monks in its heyday. Learn about the lives of Tibetan monks.
After lunch, continue to visit the Sera Monastery, founded in 1419 by Tsongkapa's disciple Jamchen Choeje. The most dramatic scene is its monks’ debate held in the courtyard mostly around 4:00 - 5:30 in the afternoon. As it is in new year’s celebration, They dress up in their best clothes with grandest ornaments on to pray for good luck in the coming year.
Stay overnight in Lhasa.
Day 4: Ganden Monastery and Wetland Wild Birds (B)
Today drive to the Ganden Monastery. It is about 60 kilometers east of Lhasa and is one of the “Great Three” Gelugpa monasteries of Tibet, founded by the Great Tsongkhapa in 1409.The main sight is Serdung, which contains the tomb of Tsongkhapa. Ganden monastery is situated on the Wangpori mountain with an elevation of 3800m above sea level. It is very interesting to trek Lingkor (circle) around the monastery and you can also see the Great Tsongkapa’s meditation cave and many religious figure statues and the beautiful view of Lhasa valley. Scenery that can only be seen in winter is migratory wild birds in the wetland around Lhasa river.
On the way to Ganden monastery are a number of large wetland, you can watch many wild birds, like wild ducks and cranes.
Stay overnight in Lhasa.
Day 5: Departure from Lhasa (B)
After spending several happy days in Tibet, you will be driven to Gonggar airport for your flight.
- Tibet travel permit and all other necessary permits to Tibet;
- All entrance ticket fees for all tourist sites listed in the itinerary;
- Personal knowledgeable English-speaking Tibetan local tour guide;
- Personal comfortable, clean and safe vehicle with reliable Tibetan local driver; vehicle ranging from 4WD land cruiser to minibus depending on your group size;
- All lodging listed in the itinerary; it’s your decision about the accommodation class: luxury 5-star international hotel, comfortable 4-star hotel, economic 3-star hotel or budget hostel, guesthouse or tent. Please tell us your accommodation preference when submitting the enquiry; we will arrange the best-value hotels for you.
- Domestic flight/train tickets listed in the itinerary;
- All meals listed in the above itinerary;
- Tourist accident/casualty insurance;
- First aid kit;
- International flight to and out of China;
- Chinese visa (Note: we could help you with the Chinese visa application, like providing the invitation letter, presenting the hotel or domestic flight reservation copies, etc that you may need. )
- Domestic flight/train not listed in the itinerary. (We can provide you the domestic flight/train ticket booking service at the BEST discount price; please contact us our travel experts for the details.)
- Meals not specified in the itinerary; usually it costs about USD3-15 per person for one meal in TAR (Tibet Autonomous Region).
- Tips and gratitude to tour guide and driver;
- Personal expenses, like laundry, phone call, snacks, soft drinks (please do the best to avoid the alcoholic beverages during your Tibet trip), optional tour activities, etc.
Contact us for your dream trip now !Enquire Now
You May Also Like
Most Frequently Asked Questions from our Clients
Get Started - 5 Days Tibet New Year Festival Tour in Winter