6 oceanic glaciers
About Lhegu Glacier
Lhegu Glacier is a group of glaciers located in Chamdo Prefecture, Tibet. It is named “Lhegu” because it is situated near a village-- Lhegu Village. In Tibetan language, “Lhegu” means “a hidden village of idyllic beauty”. Lhegu Village is located at the belly of Bosura Mountain southeast of Qinghai-Tibet Plateau, which is also the best place for visitors to appreciate the breathtaking glacier landscape. Lhegu Glacier consists of 6 major parts-the Meixi Glacier, Yalong Galcier, Ruojiao Glacier, Dongga Glacier, Xiongjia Glacier and Niuma Glacier-- each encompasses the Lhegu Village. Near Lhegu Glacier, there lays Rawok Lake-- one of Tibet’s most gorgeous lakes.
The charm of the Lhegu Glacier lies in its black-and-white medial moraines. Rivers formed by melted water from the glaciers flow into the lakes. What are more astonishing are the iceberg floating into the lakes. There are some icebergs in few of the ice lakes in front of Lhegu Village. The ice lakes present different colors due to the difference in geology and soil constituent. Looking up, the black medial moraines, which run down the mountains in S shape, divide the Lhegu Glacier into several parts, like several white rivers rushing forward between black banks. These huge rivers come to a sudden stop at Lhegu Village. You can imagine this scenery only after you see one with your own eyes.
Tips of Lhegu Glacier
1. Many young people there can speak mandarin even if Lhegu Village is a Tibetan village. If you stay the night in local people’s homes, some families will even treat you with Sichuan cuisine.
2. There are some guesthouses and youth hotels nearby, charging about CNY 20 per night in Rawok Town.
3. If you plan to climb Lhegu Glacier, you need to prepare very professional mountaineering equipments.
Attractions nearby Lhegu Glacier
Recommended Tour Itineraries Including Lhegu Glacier
Chamdo Prefecture which must be passed from Chengdu to Lhasa by overland also possesses lots of natural and cultural landsacpe. Tibet Vista provides lots of tour packages including these tourist attractions in Chamdo Prefecture at the best price.
Popular Chamdo Tour Deals
- 11 Days World-Class Overland Route: Chengdu to Lhasa via G318 National Highway Chengdu - Kangding - Xinduqiao Bridge - Litang - Markam - Zogang - Ranwu - Nyingchi - Lhasa
- 12 Days Chengdu and Tibet Train Tour Chengdu-Lhasa-Namtso Lake-Shigatse-Everest Base Camp-Lhasa
- 11 Days Tibet Tour from Hongkong by train Hongkong- Chengdu-Lhasa-Gyantse-Shigatse-Everest Base Camp-Lhasa
- 23 Days Cycling Tour from Chengdu via Sichuan Tibet Highway Chengdu - Kangding - Litang - Mangkang - Bayi - Lhasa
How to get there
1. Rental Car-- It is very easy to rent a vehicle to Lhegu Village from Rawok Town Seat.
Best time to visit it
Admission FeeCNY 30
Map of Lhegu Glacier
enlarge the map