7 Days Private Tour from Lhasa to Everest and Kathmandu
(TPT006) Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - Everest Base Camp - Gyirong - Kathmandu
Escorted by private guide and vehicle; leave 365 days a year!
Easy - suitable for all level of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
Trip Level Guide:
- Easy - suitable for all level of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
- Moderate - suitable for ones with average level fitness, family with kids bigger than 12 yrs.
- Moderate to Strenous - suitable for ones physically fit; have experiences of high altitude trek.
- Strenuous: suitable for adventures and individual with physically fit and healthy.
This 7-day classic Lhasa to Kathmandu overland tour brings you to travel from Tibet to Nepal via Gyirong Port and takes in all the stunning tourist attractions along Sino-Nepal Highway. After exploring the landmarks of Lhasa, like Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple, Barkhor Street, we’ll travel westwards to Shigatse and make stops at Yamdrok Lake, Pelkor Monastery and Gyantse Kumbum at your preference. Then we’ll visit the home of Panchan Lama - Tashilunpo Monastery and drive along the zigzag road to Everest Base Camp and Rongbuk Monastery for the close-up shot of Mount Everest - the world’s summit. Finally, we’ll drive from EBC to Gyirong Port with the stunning vista of Mt. Shishapangma and Pekutso Lake. Crossing the Nepal Tibet border, you’ll get to Kathmandu.
At a GlanceDay 1
Arrival in Lhasa (3650m)Day 2
Lhasa Tour - Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple, Barkhor Street (B)Day 3
Lhasa Tour - Drepung Monastery and Sera Monastery (B)Day 4
Lhasa (3650m) to Shigatse (3900m) via Gyantse (B)Day 5
Shigatse (3900m) to Everest Base Camp (5200m) (B)Day 6
EBC to Gyirong Border (370km)Day 7
Gyirong Border to Kathmandu (B)
Day to Day Itinerary
Day 1: Arrival in Lhasa (3650m)
Upon your arrival in Lhasa, our Tibetan guide will be greeting you at airport or train station with auspicious white Hada. Then you will be transferred to hotels in Lhasa. The guide will briefly introduce the itineraries and remind you about other dos and dont's for newcomers. To quickly get acclimatized to Tibetan plateau, it’s better to have a good rest in the hotel.
Stay overnight in Lhasa.
Day 2: Lhasa Tour - Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple, Barkhor Street (B)
Our first stop is to visit the Potala Palace, the UNESCO world heritage site and the winter palace of the Dalai Lama. Walking slowly along the long stone steps to the White and Red Palaces, you can explore the former residence of Dalai Lama and his meeting room and religious chamber. You can see the gilded burial stupas of past Dalai Lamas and the meditation cave of the 33rd great king of Tibet. A bird's-eye view of Lhasa city and Lhasa valley from the top of Potala Palace will take your breath away.
After we have lunch and then we will head to holy Jokhang Temple.It's the most sacred Buddhist site in Tibet. Outside the temple, you will witness pious Tibetan pilgrims, young and old, prostrating themselves in front of Jokhang and long lines of Tibetans following the Barkhor circuit. Inside, traveling in dim butter light, you can see the statue of Buddha Sakyamuni at the age of twelve,perhaps the single most venerated object in Tibet Buddhism.You may reach the top of Jokhang Temple to enjoy the panorama of old Lhasa city and great vista of Potala Palace.
Then we may do the kora by circling the Barkhor Street with pilgrims and locals and buy some souvenirs. Never miss the chance to enjoy the tasty sweet tea in local tea house and visit Tromzikhang,the famous farm produce market.
Stay overnight in Lhasa.
Day 3: Lhasa Tour - Drepung Monastery and Sera Monastery (B)
In the morning, you are going to visit Drepung Monastery which was one of the “Great Three” Gelug Monasteries of Tibet and was founded in 1416 by Jamyang Choge, one of the Tsongkhapa’s main disciples. Ganden palace is used as Dalai Lama’s palace in the Drepung before moving to the Potala Palace.
In the afternoon, you will visit Sera Monastery which is another one of the “Great Three” Gelug Monasteries of Tibet and founded in 1419 by Jamchen Chojey, one of the Tsongkhapa’s main disciples. The highlight is the monks’ debate at around 3 - 5 in the afternoon.
Stay overnight in Lhasa.
Day 4: Lhasa (3650m) to Shigatse (3900m) via Gyantse (B)
Today, we will drive from Lhasa to Shigatse. On the way, passing over the Gampala Pass (4790m),you will have a glimpse of Yamdrok-tso (4400m).The Lake is surrounded by many snow-capped mountains and in the distance,you have spectacular views of Holy Mount Nyenchen Khangsar(7191m),the highest mountain near Lhasa.Later,we will pass and enjoy the Karola Glacier on the roadside.At Manak Dam Lake,you can hang pray flag at Simila Mountain Pass.
Gyantse was historically known as the Tibet's third largest city (after Lhasa and Shigatse). In Gyantse, we will visit the famous Pelkor Monastery and Nepali-style Kumbum Stupa.After one and a half hour's driving,we arrive in Shigatse,which is the second largest city in Tibet.In Shigatse,we may visit traditional Barley Mill and view the landscape of Barley Field (in summer).
Stay overnight in Shigatse.
Day 5: Shigatse (3900m) to Everest Base Camp (5200m) (B)
In the morning, we will visit the home of Panchan Lama - Tashilunpo Monastery.Then, we’ll leave Shigatse after getting your Alien’s travel permit,and then drive to Lhatse,it is a small town where you can have lunch.
After that,we will pass Tsola Pass (4600m),and Gyatsola Pass (5248m).Shortly after we enter Mt. Everest National Nature Reserve, tourists can enjoy the panorama of Himalaya at Gawula Pass (5198m).Then we drive along the New zigzag road to Everest Base Camp (5200m).You can get closer to gaze at the Mt. Everest peak.The sunset of golden Everest peak if time and weather permit at the lodging area.
Stay overnight at Rongbuk monastery guest house.
Tips: our well-trained Tibetan guides will closely follow each client's response to altitude ascent and provide timely help when needed.
Day 6: EBC to Gyirong Border (370km)
In the morning,you can appreciate the sunrise of Everest Peak if weather permits at the lodging area and then visit the Rongbuk Monastery - the unique highest monastery with nuns and monks living together.Later,we can visit the Everest Base Camp and take pictures of Mt. Everest at the closest distance in EBC.
After that, we can drive from EBC to Kyirong border. On the way, tourists can enjoy breathtaking vista of Mt. Shishapangma and the Pekutso Lake. After passing the Ghungtang Lhamo (5236m), we will arrive in Kyirong in late afternoon.
Stay overnight in the guesthouse in Kyirong.
Day 7: Gyirong Border to Kathmandu (B)
Our Tibetan guide will assist you to exit China via Gyirong border. The tour service ends.
- Tibet travel permit and all other necessary permits to Tibet;
- All entrance ticket fees for all tourist sites listed in the itinerary;
- Personal knowledgeable English-speaking Tibetan local tour guide;
- Personal comfortable, clean and safe vehicle with reliable Tibetan local driver; vehicle ranging from 4WD land cruiser to minibus depending on your group size;
- All lodging listed in the itinerary; it’s your decision about the accommodation class: luxury 5-star international hotel, comfortable 4-star hotel, economic 3-star hotel or budget hostel, guesthouse or tent. Please tell us your accommodation preference when submitting the enquiry; we will arrange the best-value hotels for you.
- Domestic flight/train tickets listed in the itinerary;
- All meals listed in the above itinerary;
- Tourist accident/casualty insurance;
- First aid kit;
- International flight to and out of China;
- Chinese visa (Note: we could help you with the Chinese visa application, like providing the invitation letter, presenting the hotel or domestic flight reservation copies, etc that you may need. )
- Domestic flight/train not listed in the itinerary. (We can provide you the domestic flight/train ticket booking service at the BEST discount price; please contact us our travel experts for the details.)
- Meals not specified in the itinerary; usually it costs about USD3-15 per person for one meal in TAR (Tibet Autonomous Region).
- Tips and gratitude to tour guide and driver;
- Personal expenses, like laundry, phone call, snacks, soft drinks (please do the best to avoid the alcoholic beverages during your Tibet trip), optional tour activities, etc.
Contact us for your dream trip now !Enquire Now
You May Also Like
8 Days Private Kathmandu to Lhasa Overland Tour with EBC
Kathmandu - Kyirong - EBC - Tingri - Shigatse - Gyantse - Lhasa
8 Days Private Tour from Lhasa to Everest Base Camp
Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - Everest Base Camp - Shigatse - Lhasa
10 Days Private Tour from Lhasa to EBC and Namtso
Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - Everest Base Camp - Shigatse - Lhasa - Namtso Lake - Yampachen - Lhasa
15 Days Private Tour from Lhasa to Kailash and Manasarovar
Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - Everest Base Camp - Saga - Darchen - Drirapuk - Dzutripuk - Darchen - Saga - Sakya - Shigatse - Lhasa
Most Frequently Asked Questions from our Clients
Get Started - 7 Days Private Tour from Lhasa to Everest and Kathmandu