7 Days Lhasa to Kathmandu Overland without visiting Everest Base Camp
(TNT001 ) Lhasa-Gyantse-Shigatse-Tingri-Gyirong-Kathmandu
Escorted by private guide and vehicle; leave 365 days a year!
Easy - suitable for all levels of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
Trip Level Guide:
- Easy - suitable for all level of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
- Moderate - suitable for ones with average level fitness, family with kids bigger than 12 yrs.
- Moderate to Strenous - suitable for ones physically fit; have experiences of high altitude trek.
- Strenuous: suitable for adventures and individual with physically fit and healthy.
This itinerary does not contain trekking to Mount Everest base camp, so some of visitors won’t have altitude sickness at an altitude of 5200 meters. You will first visit some attractions in Lhasa (3650 meters above sea level) to get acclimated, and gradually head to Shigatse( at an altitude of 3800 meters).
Then you will arrive in Lhatse County, the door of Himalaya Mountains at the elevation of 4300 meters, and drive westwards to Tingri County (at an altitude of 4500 meters). Drive through Tong La Pass (at an altitude of 5100 meters) of Himalaya Mountains and head southwards to Nepal along the canyons at the edge of Himalayas. You can appreciate gorgeous palaces and monasteries of cultural landscapes, magnificent snow-capped mountains, turquoise lakes, rushing rivers, grand glaciers, smoke-like waterfalls and deep canyons, which will be a lifetime experience.
At a GlanceDay 1
Arrive in Lhasa by plane or by trainDay 2
Lhasa Sightseeing: Potala Palace/Tibet Museum/Jokhang Temple/Barkhor StreetDay 3
Lhasa Sightseeing: Drepung Monastery/Sera MonasteryDay 4
Drive towards Gyantse:Yamdrok-tso,Nanchan- Kangtsang glacierDay 5
Drive toward Sakya, Visit Kubhum monastery, Tashilhunpo Monastery, Sakya MonasteryDay 6
Drive towards GyirongDay 7
Day to Day Itinerary
Day 1: Arrive in Lhasa by plane or by train
Lhasa Train station/airport picking up and you are warmly welcome to Tibet by saying Tashi Delek at the Train station/airport by our professional employee and send you to reserved hotel in Lhasa. Then have a good rest to acclimatize the high altitude in the afternoon.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 2: Lhasa Sightseeing: Potala Palace/Tibet Museum/Jokhang Temple/Barkhor Street
In the morning, visit the famous Potala palace and explore the grandest of this myriad chapels, you will experience its audience halls, the jeweled and Golden burial chortens(stupa Tombs) of past Dalai Lamas, and tremendous number of Buddhist frescoes, thangkas, combinations of mandala etc. Tibet Museum is an important window to introduce the glorious culture of Tibet, as a free Museum in Lhasa, you should not miss it. Afternoon section visiting to the holist temple in Tibet, the Johkang Temple, built during songtsen gonpo’s reign by princess wencheng of tang dynasty, 647 A.D, and its famous Barkhor Kora, where you can buy or appreciate traditional Tibetan artifacts, religious implements, antiques, books, Tibetan music instrument, Thangkas, and tradition Tibetan clothes etc. you will have chance to get close to appreciate how the artists draw Thangkas at the Thakangka workroom at Barkhor.
Day 3: Lhasa Sightseeing: Drepung Monastery/Sera Monastery
Today, you will visit two important monasteries in Lhasa, the Drepung and the Sera.
Drepung monastery is situated at the foothill of a mountain and was founded by Jamyang Choeje in 1416. It was once home of 10000 monks and Ganden podrang in Drepung is famous it was the government centre during fifth dalai lama and later moved to the famous potala palace during fifth dalai lama. Then you will visit the Carpet Factory, you can see how the world-famous Tibetan carpets are made. After having lunch, continue to visit the Sera Monastery, which was founded in 1419 by Tsongkapa’s disciple Jamchen Choeje. The most attractive is that Monks debiting is held there in the courtyard at around 6-7:30 in the afternoon section most of the time.
Stay overnight at Lhasa
Day 4: Drive towards Gyantse:Yamdrok-tso,Nanchan- Kangtsang glacier
A few kilometers from chushor is famous pass kangpa-la with4700m.From the top of the pass in clear weather, you can see the fabulous shade of deep torquoise. Yamdrok-tso is shaped like coiling scorpion with deep blue in colour. Far in the distance is the huge massif of mount Nanchan kangtsang(7191m).Leaving yamdrok-tso is a spectacular as arriving, since you have to cross the 4960m karo-la with its awesome roadside views of the Nanchan- Kangtsang glacier. It was here that Young husband's British troops clashed with Tibetan forces en route to Lhasa. Then reach to your day's final destination Gyantse.
Stay overnight in Gyantse
Day 5: Drive toward Sakya, Visit Kubhum monastery, Tashilhunpo Monastery, Sakya Monastery
Driving Towards Shigatse in the morning after visiting famous Gyantse Kubhum, in Shigatse, you will visit the famous Tashi Lhunpo monastery where you can see the well preserved largest statue of Jampa(future god) in the world. The monastery itself is abiding place for the successive Penchen Lamas.
Driving towards the Sakya County where you can visit the famous Sakya monastery. The most interesting thing in Sakya sect is that the sect doesn’t believe in reincarnation and the head of sakya sect will wear white cassock and also marry to birth their child for next generation..Then forwards to world highest pass Gyatso-la pass with 5200 m above sea level and take a good rest in Sakya
Stay overnight in Sakya County
Day 6: Drive towards Gyirong
Today, we continue to drive to Gyirong, where you will check out from China, you can enjoy the beautiful scene of Himalaya and Gangdise Mountain range on the way.
Stay overnight in Gyirong
Day 7: Gyirong-Rasuwagadhi-Kathmandu
Our Guide will drop you off at next morning at the border bridge, you are kindly required to walk on your own to cross the border bridge which is 50ms long, then check in Nepal side, you can get the Nepal visa upon arrival with 30USD, please prepare one photo at passport size to get Nepal Visa. Next step, The Nepal tour guide will go cross the border bridge to China side which is 50ms long to meet you, then you follow the Nepal tour guide to check in Nepal side, then drive you to your hotel in Kathmandu. End the tour in Kathmandu.
- Tibet travel permit and all other necessary permits to Tibet;
- All entrance ticket fees for all tourist sites listed in the itinerary;
- Personal knowledgeable English-speaking Tibetan local tour guide;
- Personal comfortable, clean and safe vehicle with reliable Tibetan local driver; vehicle ranging from 4WD land cruiser to minibus depending on your group size;
- All lodging listed in the itinerary; it’s your decision about the accommodation class: luxury 5-star international hotel, comfortable 4-star hotel, economic 3-star hotel or budget hostel, guesthouse or tent. Please tell us your accommodation preference when submitting the enquiry; we will arrange the best-value hotels for you.
- Domestic flight/train tickets listed in the itinerary;
- All meals listed in the above itinerary;
- Tourist accident/casualty insurance;
- First aid kit;
- International flight to and out of China;
- Chinese visa (Note: we could help you with the Chinese visa application, like providing the invitation letter, presenting the hotel or domestic flight reservation copies, etc that you may need. )
- Domestic flight/train not listed in the itinerary. (We can provide you the domestic flight/train ticket booking service at the BEST discount price; please contact us our travel experts for the details.)
- Meals not specified in the itinerary; usually it costs about USD3-15 per person for one meal in TAR (Tibet Autonomous Region).
- Tips and gratitude to tour guide and driver;
- Personal expenses, like laundry, phone call, snacks, soft drinks (please do the best to avoid the alcoholic beverages during your Tibet trip), optional tour activities, etc.
Contact us for your dream trip now !Enquire Now
You May Also Like
8 Days Tibet-Nepal Highway in-depth Travel
Lhasa, Gyantse,Shiatse, Sakya, Everest Base Camp,Kathmandu
10 Days Central Tibet in-depth travel then overland from Tibet to Nepal
Lhasa, Tsedang, Gyantse,Shigatse, Sakya,Everest Base Camp
9 Days Kathmandu to Lhasa Overland Tour with EBC
Kathmandu - Tibet border - North Face Everest Base Camp - Sakya - Shigatse - Gyantse - Lhasa
7 Days Kathmandu to Lhasa Overland Trip without EBC
Kathmandu - Gyirong - Lhatse-Tingri- Sakya - Shigatse - Gyantse - Lhasa
Most Frequently Asked Questions from our Clients
Get Started - 7 Days Lhasa to Kathmandu Overland without visiting Everest Base Camp