14 Days Drive from Chengdu to Gansu through Primitive Tibetan Area Tour
(CTT017) Chengdu-Jiuzhaigou-Huanglong-Songpan-Ruoergai-Langmu-Xiahe-Lanzhou Tour
Escorted by private guide and vehicle; leave 365 days a year!
Easy - suitable for all level of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
Trip Level Guide:
- Easy - suitable for all level of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
- Moderate - suitable for ones with average level fitness, family with kids bigger than 12 yrs.
- Moderate to Strenous - suitable for ones physically fit; have experiences of high altitude trek.
- Strenuous: suitable for adventures and individual with physically fit and healthy.
This tour starts from Chengdu, the homeland of Giant pandas and land of abundance. You will pass Jiuzhaigou Valley & Huanglong scenic spot, and traverse Zoige grassland, where you can visit famous Tibetan Buddhist monastery- Langmusi, located in Sichuan and Gansu provinces. Then head towards Xiahe to visit a significant monastery in Amdo Tibet - Labrang monastery, and finally arrive in Lanzhou, where the tour ends.
This itinerary is at the edge of northeastern Tibetan Plateau, and owing to its unique topography, one can appreciate spectacular landscapes, including plains, lush forests, snow-capped mountains, lakes, grasslands, pasture, farmland, loess landscape and so on.
At a GlanceDay 1
Arrive in ChengduDay 2
Chengdu-Mianyang (B, L, D)Day 3
Mianyang /Jiuzhaigou ( B, L, D)Day 4-5
Jiuzhaigou National Park Excursion (B, L, D, Hiking 5-6 hours)Day 6
Jiuzhaigou- Huanglong-Songpan ( B, L, D )Day 7-8
Songpan Horse-riding (B, L, D)Day 9
Songpan-Ruoergai Grassland (driving about 260km, B, L, D)Day 10
Ruer gai-Langmu Monastery (drive about 75km, altitude 2920m, B, L, D )Day 11
Langmu Monastery (B, L, D, one-day hiking)Day 12
Langmu Monastery-Xiahe-Labuleng Monastry and the grassland (265km, B, L, D)Day 13
Xiahe-Lanzhou (about 240km, B, L, D)Day 14
Lanzhou to Beijing/Shanghai (B, L)
Day to Day Itinerary
Day 1: Arrive in Chengdu
Transfer to your reserved hotel after arriving in Chengdu airport.
Stay overnight in Chengdu
Day 2: Chengdu-Mianyang (B, L, D)
We will start our driving today. First drive to the Panda Breeding and Research Center to see the Giant Panda and then drive to visit Sanxingdui Museum on the way. We will explore the mysterious ancient civilization of Yangtze drainage in Sanxingdui Museum (Three Star Garden Museum). Every excavated ware is a marvelous art craft for us. Then drive further to Mianyang.
Stay overnight in Mianyang
Day 3: Mianyang /Jiuzhaigou ( B, L, D)
After breakfast, drive to Jiuzhaigou. We will have lunch in Pingwu, a nice small county with an ancient temple. If the traffic is fine, we will arrive in Jiuzhaigou in the late afternoon.
Stay overnight in Jiuzhaigou
Day 4-5: Jiuzhaigou National Park Excursion (B, L, D, Hiking 5-6 hours)
We will explore scenic areas of Jiuzhaigou to the full: Mirror Lake, the Pearl Shoal Waterfall, the Five Colored Pond and the Panda Lake. At the end of the visit, you cannot agree more with the old Chinese saying, which goes: 'just as one will find it worthless seeing a mountain after he has already visited the Yellow Mountain and he will also come to the conclusion that every lake is dull after he has seen the lakes in Jiuzhaigou'.
Stay overnight in Jiuzhaigou
Day 6: Jiuzhaigou- Huanglong-Songpan ( B, L, D )
Drive to Huanglong (Yellow Dragon) National park in the morning in about 3 hours. Small ponds, waterfalls and dense forests scatter in a spectacular canyon, which is between 3,000 m-3,500 m (9,843 ft-11,483 ft) above sea level and interspersed with colorful flowers in Spring. Then drive to Songpan old town.
Stay overnight in Songpan old town
Day 7-8: Songpan Horse-riding (B, L, D)
You will have a two-day horse-riding trip in the beautiful mountains surrounding by Songpan. Visit Muni Valley, where there are some peaceful lakes and an elegant waterfall. The horses are tame but the slopes are sometimes quite steep. You can do this trip even if you don't have experience with horse-riding.
Day 9: Songpan-Ruoergai Grassland (driving about 260km, B, L, D)
The first half of the drive is in mountainous area, and then we will climb over to the high altitude grassland, where the jade like Yellow River and the Flower Lake located. The Flower Lake is a wetland located in the center of the Ruoergai grassland, a good place for wild bird-watching and sunset-watching. (the best time to explore grassland is from June to August)
Stay overnight at hotel in Ruergai county
Day 10: Ruer gai-Langmu Monastery (drive about 75km, altitude 2920m, B, L, D )
The highlight of today is the tour to Langmu Monastery, located on the border of Sichuan and Gansu, a long-hiding village and temple where the time seems stand still. This village is unique for it is a mixture of Christianism, Buddhism and Islamism in their villager’s life and architecture.
Stay in Langmusi hotel or the similar
Day 11: Langmu Monastery (B, L, D, one-day hiking)
Huagai mountain is the highest mountain around Langmusi and also the sacred mountain for Tibetan people from Gansu Sichuan and Qinghai province. We will hike on this mountain and its Fairy Valley near the Monastery called Namo. Standing on the top of the mountain, you will see yellow river and big grassland.
Stay in Langmusi hotel or the similar
Day 12: Langmu Monastery-Xiahe-Labuleng Monastry and the grassland (265km, B, L, D)
Today’s driving is long, but you will see yaks, herd and beautiful landscapes on the way. We may be invited to a nomad’s tent to drink the fresh yak milk on the way. Arrive in Xiahe in Gansu province and spend a half day visiting the Labuleng Monastery and the grassland around. Stay in the best hotel in the small town.
Labuleng Monastry is one of the biggest Yellow Head Sect Monasteries in China. We will hike onto the top of the hill to have a bird view of the whole Monastery. We would watch the impressive gathering of the monks (at 12:00 everyday) in the courtyard of the monastery with the call of “alphorn”. Once the monks are doing their chanting, they will walk the Kora, surrounding the whole monastery complex and count the prayer wheels you are turning. We would also explore the village of Xiahe with local shops and the grassland around Xiahe, where nomad families live in tents.
Stay in Xiling Hotel or the similar
Day 13: Xiahe-Lanzhou (about 240km, B, L, D)
The high way makes the drive much easier and faster. Visit Bingling Caves at the Yellow River, where we will first take a boat and then pass muddy trail to reach the site of unique Buddhist Caves, sculptures and paintings hiding from most of the tourists.
Stay overnight in Lanzhou
Day 14: Lanzhou to Beijing/Shanghai (B, L)
Transfer to the airport for the flight to Beijing or Shanghai and then take the flight for home.
- Tibet travel permit and all other necessary permits to Tibet;
- All entrance ticket fees for all tourist sites listed in the itinerary;
- Personal knowledgeable English-speaking Tibetan local tour guide;
- Personal comfortable, clean and safe vehicle with reliable Tibetan local driver; vehicle ranging from 4WD land cruiser to minibus depending on your group size;
- All lodging listed in the itinerary; it’s your decision about the accommodation class: luxury 5-star international hotel, comfortable 4-star hotel, economic 3-star hotel or budget hostel, guesthouse or tent. Please tell us your accommodation preference when submitting the enquiry; we will arrange the best-value hotels for you.
- Domestic flight/train tickets listed in the itinerary;
- All meals listed in the above itinerary;
- Tourist accident/casualty insurance;
- First aid kit;
- International flight to and out of China;
- Chinese visa (Note: we could help you with the Chinese visa application, like providing the invitation letter, presenting the hotel or domestic flight reservation copies, etc that you may need. )
- Domestic flight/train not listed in the itinerary. (We can provide you the domestic flight/train ticket booking service at the BEST discount price; please contact us our travel experts for the details.)
- Meals not specified in the itinerary; usually it costs about USD3-15 per person for one meal in TAR (Tibet Autonomous Region).
- Tips and gratitude to tour guide and driver;
- Personal expenses, like laundry, phone call, snacks, soft drinks (please do the best to avoid the alcoholic beverages during your Tibet trip), optional tour activities, etc.
Contact us for your dream trip now !Enquire Now
You May Also Like
10 Days Images of Tibet and China Tour
Beijing - Xi’an - Lhasa - Shanghai
15 Days Classic China Tour with Tibet
Beijing - Xian - Lhasa - Chengdu - Guilin - Shanghai
13 Days All Around China and Tibet Discovery Tour
Beijing - Xian - Lhasa - Chongqing - Yangtse River - Yichang - Shanghai Tour
12 Days Tibet Tour from Chengdu by Train
Chengdu - Tibet Railway - Lhasa - Namtso - Shigatse - Lhasa - Chengdu
12 Days Oriental Culture Road Expedition Tour
Beijing - By train - Xian - By train - Lhasa - Shigatse - EBC - By overland - Kathmandu Tour
14 Days World Cultural Heritage Sites Tour of China and Tibet
Beijing - Xian - Lhasa - Shigatse - EBC- Lhasa - Chengdu
12 Days Modern and Ancient China Tour plus Tibet Discovery
Kunming - Lijiang - Shanghai - Lhasa
14 Days Visit Top Natural Sites in China and Tibet
Shanghai - Chengdu - Lhasa - Xian - Beijing Tour
Most Frequently Asked Questions from our Clients
Get Started - 14 Days Drive from Chengdu to Gansu through Primitive Tibetan Area Tour