9 Days Lhasa to Everest Base Camp Tour from Chengdu by Train
(CTT009) Train from Chengdu - Lhasa - Yamdrok Lake - Shigatse - EBC - Gyirong - Kathmandu
Escorted by private guide and vehicle; leave 365 days a year!
Easy - suitable for all levels of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
Trip Level Guide:
- Easy - suitable for all level of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
- Moderate - suitable for ones with average level fitness, family with kids bigger than 12 yrs.
- Moderate to Strenous - suitable for ones physically fit; have experiences of high altitude trek.
- Strenuous: suitable for adventures and individual with physically fit and healthy.
Travelling to Tibet from one of the nearest gateway cities in mainland, Chengdu, you will spare more time to discover mysterious Tibetan culture and intriguing plateau scenery. After your two-day Lhasa tour, you will hit the road towards the famous Everest Base Camp, via Shigatse and Gyantse. For sure, the scenery along the road trip will feast your eyes and the monasteries and relics will satisfy your curiosity about Tibet culture and religion. The great moment for you to memorize for a lifetime will probably be the stunning peak view of Mount Everest, the highest mountain in the world.
At a GlanceDay 1
Board the Train to Lhasa from ChengduDay 2
Train to Lhasa; Sightseeing along Qinghai-Tibet RailwayDay 3
Arrive in LhasaDay 4
Lhasa Sightseeing: Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple and Barkhor StreetDay 5
Lhasa Sightseeing: Drepung Monastery and Sera MonasteryDay 6
Lhasa to Shigatse via GyantseDay 7
Shigatse to EBCDay 8
EBC to Gyirong BorderDay 9
Gyirong to Nepal Border
Day to Day Itinerary
Day 1: Board the Train to Lhasa from Chengdu
The train from Chengdu to Lhasa departs every other day from Chengdu North Railway Station. It takes about 1 hour to check in as the train takes about 1000 passengers. Please be sure to arrive at the train station for 1 hour and a half before the train departure. Your Tibet Travel Permit will be needed when you check in.
Stay overnight on the Train
Day 2: Train to Lhasa; Sightseeing along Qinghai-Tibet Railway
It is quite a long journey that will take about 36 hours. Today you will first pass through two important provincial capital cities in northwest China, Lanzhou and Xining. Xining is known as the beginning of Qinghai-Tibet Railway. Travelling along the rail line, you could see the scenery of countryside and city in northwest China.
Then you will witness the most beautiful scenery of Qinghai-Tibet Railway. The land of snows, the desert, the grassland, snowy mountains and turquoise lakes will continually appear and strongly attract your heart.
Stay overnight on the Train
Day 3: Arrive in Lhasa
Your train will arrive in Lhasa in the morning. Upon your arrival, your tour guide will hold a board with your name on it at the exit of the train station to welcome you. A private car will take you from the train station to the reserved hotel. The rest of the day is for you to acclimate to the high elevation.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 4: Lhasa Sightseeing: Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple and Barkhor Street
In the morning, visit the famous Potala Palace and explore the grandest of this myriad chapel. You will appreciate its audience halls, the jeweled and golden burial chortens (stupa Tombs) of past Dalai Lamas, and tremendous number of Buddhist frescoes, thangkas, combinations of mandala, etc.
In the afternoon, visit the holist temple in Tibet, the Jokhang Temple, built during Songtsen Gonpo's reign by princess Wencheng of Tang Dynasty, 647 A.D, and its famous Barkhor Kora, where you can buy or appreciate traditional Tibetan artifacts, religious implements, antiques, books, Tibetan music instrument, Thangkas, and tradition Tibetan clothes etc. You will have a chance to get close to appreciate how the artists draw Thangkas at the Thangka workroom at Barkhor.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 5: Lhasa Sightseeing: Drepung Monastery and Sera Monastery
In the morning, you are going to visit Drepung monastery which was one of the “three greet” Gelug monasteries of Tibet and was founded in 1416 by Jamyang choge, one of the Tsongkhapa’s main disciples. Ganden palace was used as Dalai Lama’s palace in the Drepung before moving to the Potala palace.
In the afternoon, visit the Sera Monastery, which is one of the “three great” Gelug monasteries of Tibet and was founded in 1419 by Jamchen chojey, one of the Tsongkhapa’s main disciples. The Most attraction is the Monks debate at around 3:00 - 5:00 in the afternoon.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 6: Lhasa to Shigatse via Gyantse
Passing by the green farmland of Nyangchu Valley, Yamdro-tso Lake, Karo-la Glacier roadside at 4960m, we move westwards to the second biggest city of Tibet, Shigatse, the area spiritually hosted by Pamchan Lama. The most important attraction for today is Yamdro-tso Lake and Kumbum Monastery in Gyantse. Yamdro-tso Lake is shaped like coiling scorpion with deep blue in color and Kumbum monastery has a 35m-high Chorten (stupa) with its white layers trimmed with decorative stripes and its crown-like golden dome.
Stay overnight in Shigatse
Day 7: Shigatse to EBC
Before leaving Shigatse, we will go to visit the home of Panchen Lama - Tashilhunpo Monastery. It is the largest monastery of the Gelug Sect in Rear Tibet, and the main stage where generations of Panchen Lamas carried out religious and political activities. After getting your Alien’s travel permit, we will leave Shigatse and then drive to Lhatse for lunch.
After that, we’ll drive over Tsola Pass (4600M), and Gyatsola Pass (5248M). At Gawula Pass (5180m), tourists can view the panorama of Himalaya. Then we’ll drive along the new zigzag road to Everest Base Camp and get closer to Mt. Everest peak. If time and weather permits, you are lucky enough to catch the sunset of golden Everest peak at the lodging area.
Stay overnight at Rongbuk Guest House
Day 8: EBC to Gyirong Border
In the morning, you will first visit the Rongbuk Monastery, the highest monastery in the world. Being a part of the Nyingmapa Sect of Tibetan Buddhism, it is unique in that both monks and nuns live together in the same monastery. You will also take gorgeous photos of the peak from the best vantage point at Everest Base Camp.
After EBC, you will drive to Gyirong Port, taking in the breathtaking vista of Mt. Shishapangma and Pekutso Lake. The road goes along the Ghungtang Lhamo, at 5,236 meters, and you will arrive in Gyirong in the late afternoon.
Stay overnight in a Gyirong Guest House
Day 9: Gyirong to Nepal Border
In the morning, your guide will assist you to exit China, and will see you off at the border with Nepal. Transfers from Gyirong to Kathmandu can be arranged, but are not included in the package, and will require an extra payment if requested.
- Tibet travel permit and all other necessary permits to Tibet;
- All entrance ticket fees for all tourist sites listed in the itinerary;
- Personal knowledgeable English-speaking Tibetan local tour guide;
- Personal comfortable, clean and safe vehicle with reliable Tibetan local driver; vehicle ranging from 4WD land cruiser to minibus depending on your group size;
- All lodging listed in the itinerary; it’s your decision about the accommodation class: luxury 5-star international hotel, comfortable 4-star hotel, economic 3-star hotel or budget hostel, guesthouse or tent. Please tell us your accommodation preference when submitting the enquiry; we will arrange the best-value hotels for you.
- Domestic flight/train tickets listed in the itinerary;
- All meals listed in the above itinerary;
- Tourist accident/casualty insurance;
- First aid kit;
- International flight to and out of China;
- Chinese visa (Note: we could help you with the Chinese visa application, like providing the invitation letter, presenting the hotel or domestic flight reservation copies, etc that you may need. )
- Domestic flight/train not listed in the itinerary. (We can provide you the domestic flight/train ticket booking service at the BEST discount price; please contact us our travel experts for the details.)
- Meals not specified in the itinerary; usually it costs about USD3-15 per person for one meal in TAR (Tibet Autonomous Region).
- Tips and gratitude to tour guide and driver;
- Personal expenses, like laundry, phone call, snacks, soft drinks (please do the best to avoid the alcoholic beverages during your Tibet trip), optional tour activities, etc.
Contact us for your dream trip now !Enquire Now
You May Also Like
Most Frequently Asked Questions from our Clients
Get Started - 9 Days Lhasa to Everest Base Camp Tour from Chengdu by Train