8 Days Tibet Discovery Tour by Train from Xining
(XTT008) Xining - Train to Lhasa – Namtso Lake - Lhasa
Escorted by private guide and vehicle; leave 365 days a year!
Easy - suitable for all levels of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
Trip Level Guide:
- Easy - suitable for all level of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
- Moderate - suitable for ones with average level fitness, family with kids bigger than 12 yrs.
- Moderate to Strenous - suitable for ones physically fit; have experiences of high altitude trek.
- Strenuous: suitable for adventures and individual with physically fit and healthy.
After an extraordinary train ride across the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau, you will start your thrilling Tibet tour. Not only will you discover the religious temples and cultural sites in Lhasa city, but also enjoy a pilgrimage trip to the holy Namtso Lake. The must-see attractions in Lhasa city include the famous Potala Palace, the revered Jokhang Temple, Barkhor Street, Drepung and Sera Monastery. While at Namtso Lake, you will appreciate the unbelievably stunning view of the lake and take a leisurely trek around the lakeside and Tashi Island. There will also be hot spring spa at Yangpachen for you to relax yourself and remove all the tiredness after the tour.
At a GlanceDay 1
Arrive in XiningDay 2
Xining Tour and Overnight Train to TibetDay 3
Arrive in Lhasa and Get Acclimatized to the PlateauDay 4
Lhasa Sightseeing: Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple and Barkhor StreetDay 5
Lhasa Sightseeing: Drepung Monastery and Sera MonasteryDay 6
Lhasa to Namtso Lake (250km, 5 hours)Day 7
Namtso Lake back to Lhasa via Yampachen (230km, 5 hours)Day 8
Depart from Lhasa
Day to Day Itinerary
Day 1: Arrive in Xining
After you arrive in in Xining airport or railway station, the guide will be greeting you and later get you transferred to your hotel. The rest of the time is at leisure. You can have a good rest or walk around in the city.
Stay overnight in Xining
Day 2: Xining Tour and Overnight Train to Tibet
In the morning, we are about to visit Ta’er Monastery, one of the must-see religious sites in Xining. Located 25km to the northeast of Xining City, Ta’er Monastery is also called “Kumbum Monastery”. It’s one of the major Gelugpa monasteries of Tibetan Buddhism and the birthplace of Tsongkhapa, well-known Tibetan Buddhist master. You can see many devoted Tibetan pilgrims doing full-body prostration to the Buddha, magnificent Buddhist hall and exquisite murals and Tibetan butter flowers, etc.
After lunch, you will be transferred to Xining railway station and board the train to Lhasa.
Stay overnight on the train.
Day 3: Arrive in Lhasa and Get Acclimatized to the Plateau
When you arrive in Lhasa, your guide will greet you and take you to your hotel. You may view the Yarlung Tsangpo River/Brahmaputra River (the Longest and largest river in Tibet) and Lhasa River on the way to downtown Lhasa. For the rest of the day, you can take a rest and get acclimatized to high altitude.
Stay overnight in Lhasa.
Day 4: Lhasa Sightseeing: Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple and Barkhor Street
In the morning, visit the famous Potala Palace and explore the grandest of this myriad chapel. You will appreciate its audience halls, the jeweled and golden burial chortens (stupa Tombs) of past Dalai Lamas, and tremendous number of Buddhist frescoes, thangkas, combinations of mandala, etc.
In the afternoon, visit the holist temple in Tibet, the Jokhang Temple, built during Songtsen Gonpo's reign by princess Wencheng of Tang Dynasty, 647 A.D, and its famous Barkhor Kora, where you can buy or appreciate traditional Tibetan artifacts, religious implements, antiques, books, Tibetan music instrument, Thangkas, and tradition Tibetan clothes etc. You will have a chance to get close to appreciate how the artists draw Thangkas at the Thangka workroom at Barkhor.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 5: Lhasa Sightseeing: Drepung Monastery and Sera Monastery
In the morning, you are going to visit Drepung monastery which was one of the “three greet” Gelug monasteries of Tibet and was founded in 1416 by Jamyang choge, one of the Tsongkhapa’s main disciples. Ganden palace was used as Dalai Lama’s palace in the Drepung before moving to the Potala palace.
In the afternoon, visit the Sera Monastery, which is one of the “three great” Gelug monasteries of Tibet and was founded in 1419 by Jamchen chojey, one of the Tsongkhapa’s main disciples. The Most attraction is the Monks debate at around 3:00 - 5:00 in the afternoon.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 6: Lhasa to Namtso Lake (250km, 5 hours)
In the morning, drive from Lhasa to Lake Namtso. On the way, you can see Nyenchen Thanglha (snow mountain ranges) and lots of nomads’ tent with grazing yak and sheep densely-populated around the mountain side. Namtso Lake is the Heavenly Lake which is one of the four holy lakes of Tibet and also the highest salt lake. You can do a very relaxing trekking around the lake side and Tashi Island.
To spend a night at lake shore is fantastic to see the stars.
Stay overnight in Namtso Guest house
Day 7: Namtso Lake back to Lhasa via Yampachen (230km, 5 hours)
Day 8: Depart from Lhasa
The guide will transfer you to the airport or train station and help you get on board.
- Tibet travel permit and all other necessary permits to Tibet;
- All entrance ticket fees for all tourist sites listed in the itinerary;
- Personal knowledgeable English-speaking Tibetan local tour guide;
- Personal comfortable, clean and safe vehicle with reliable Tibetan local driver; vehicle ranging from 4WD land cruiser to minibus depending on your group size;
- All lodging listed in the itinerary; it’s your decision about the accommodation class: luxury 5-star international hotel, comfortable 4-star hotel, economic 3-star hotel or budget hostel, guesthouse or tent. Please tell us your accommodation preference when submitting the enquiry; we will arrange the best-value hotels for you.
- Domestic flight/train tickets listed in the itinerary;
- All meals listed in the above itinerary;
- Tourist accident/casualty insurance;
- First aid kit;
- International flight to and out of China;
- Chinese visa (Note: we could help you with the Chinese visa application, like providing the invitation letter, presenting the hotel or domestic flight reservation copies, etc that you may need. )
- Domestic flight/train not listed in the itinerary. (We can provide you the domestic flight/train ticket booking service at the BEST discount price; please contact us our travel experts for the details.)
- Meals not specified in the itinerary; usually it costs about USD3-15 per person for one meal in TAR (Tibet Autonomous Region).
- Tips and gratitude to tour guide and driver;
- Personal expenses, like laundry, phone call, snacks, soft drinks (please do the best to avoid the alcoholic beverages during your Tibet trip), optional tour activities, etc.
Contact us for your dream trip now !Enquire Now
You May Also Like
10 Days Xining and Tibet Natural Scenery Tour by Train
Xining-Qinghai Lake-Lhasa-Namtso-Shigatse-Mt.Everest Tour
10 Days Xining to Lhasa and Sacred Namtso Lake Tour
Xining - Qinghai Lake - Lhasa - Namsto Lake - Lhasa
11 Days Xining to Lhasa and EBC Kathmandu Tour
Xining - Qinghai Lake - Lhasa - Shigatse - EBC - Old Tingri - Kathmandu
17 days Xining and Tibet in-depth Tour by Train
Xining - Qinghai Lake - Gansu - Lhasa - Tesdang - Gyantse - Shigatse - Lhasa
Most Frequently Asked Questions from our Clients
Get Started - 8 Days Tibet Discovery Tour by Train from Xining