9 Days Lhasa to Everest Base Camp Tour with Tibet Train Experience
(XTT009) Tibet train (from Xining) - Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - Everest Base Camp - Lhasa
Escorted by private guide and vehicle; leave 365 days a year!
Easy - suitable for all levels of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
Trip Level Guide:
- Easy - suitable for all level of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
- Moderate - suitable for ones with average level fitness, family with kids bigger than 12 yrs.
- Moderate to Strenous - suitable for ones physically fit; have experiences of high altitude trek.
- Strenuous: suitable for adventures and individual with physically fit and healthy.
One of the most popular travel routes in Tibet, the Lhasa to Everest Base Camp tour will take tourists to experience the Buddhist holy city of Lhasa, appreciate the amazing scenery of Yamdrok Lake and Karola Glacier, visit Tibet’s second largest city-Shigatse, and enjoy the pristine Tibetan country side view in Gyantse. Most exhilaratingly, you will gaze upon the majestic Mount Everest at Everest Base Camp and catch the sunset of golden Everest peak. In addition, the tour also includes an epic Tibet train journey to allow you get well adapted to the high altitude before your Tibet exploration.
At a GlanceDay 1
Board the Train to Lhasa from XiningDay 2
Scenery View on the Train; Arrive in LhasaDay 3
Lhasa Sightseeing: Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple and Barkhor StreetDay 4
Lhasa Sightseeing: Drepung Monastery and Sera MonasteryDay 5
Lhasa to Shigatse via GyantseDay 6
Shigatse to EBCDay 7
EBC to ShigatseDay 8
Shigatse to LhasaDay 9
Depart from Lhasa
Day to Day Itinerary
Day 1: Board the Train to Lhasa from Xining
Fantastic Tibet travel will start with boarding on Xining-Lhasa train from Xining Railway Station. Our local guide would send train ticket and Tibet Travel Permit to you before train departs. Please be sure to bring all your belongings and Tibet visa to Xining Railway Station one and a half hour ahead.
Stay overnight on the Train
Day 2: Scenery View on the Train; Arrive in Lhasa
Today, you will witness the most beautiful scenery of Qinghai-Tibet Railway. Endless land of snows, vast desert, boundless grassland, snow-capped mountains and stunning lakes will continually appear and strongly attract your heart.
When you arrive in Lhasa, your tour guide will hold a board with your name on it at the exit to welcome you. A private car will take you to the reserved hotel. You may view the Yarlung Tsangpo River/Bhamaputra River (the Longest and largest river in Tibet) and Lhasa River on the way to downtown Lhasa.
Stay overnight in Lhasa.
Day 3: Lhasa Sightseeing: Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple and Barkhor Street
In the morning, visit the famous Potala Palace and explore the grandest of this myriad chapel. You will appreciate its audience halls, the jeweled and golden burial chortens (stupa Tombs) of past Dalai Lamas, and tremendous number of Buddhist frescoes, thangkas, combinations of mandala, etc.
In the afternoon, visit the holist temple in Tibet, the Jokhang Temple, built during Songtsen Gonpo's reign by princess Wencheng of Tang Dynasty, 647 A.D, and its famous Barkhor Kora, where you can buy or appreciate traditional Tibetan artifacts, religious implements, antiques, books, Tibetan music instrument, Thangkas, and tradition Tibetan clothes etc. You will have a chance to get close to appreciate how the artists draw Thangkas at the Thangka workroom at Barkhor.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 4: Lhasa Sightseeing: Drepung Monastery and Sera Monastery
In the morning, you are going to visit Drepung monastery which was one of the “three greet” Gelug monasteries of Tibet and was founded in 1416 by Jamyang choge, one of the Tsongkhapa’s main disciples. Ganden palace was used as Dalai Lama’s palace in the Drepung before moving to the Potala palace.
In the afternoon, visit the Sera Monastery, which is one of the “three great” Gelug monasteries of Tibet and was founded in 1419 by Jamchen chojey, one of the Tsongkhapa’s main disciples. The Most attraction is the Monks debate at around 3:00 - 5:00 in the afternoon.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 5: Lhasa to Shigatse via Gyantse
Passing by the green farmland of Nyangchu Valley, Yamdro-tso Lake, Karo-la Glacier roadside at 4960m, we move westwards to the second biggest city of Tibet, Shigatse, the area spiritually hosted by Pamchan Lama. The most important attraction for today is Yamdro-tso Lake and Kumbum monastery in Gyantse. Yamdro-tso Lake is shaped like coiling scorpion with deep blue in color and Kumbum monastery has a 35m-high Chorten (stupa) with its white layers trimmed with decorative stripes and its crown-like golden dome.
Stay overnight in Shigatse
Day 6: Shigatse to EBC
Before leaving Shigatse, we will go to visit the home of Panchan Lama - Tashilhunpo Monastery. It is largest monastery of the Gelug Sect in Rear Tibet, and the main stage where generations of Panchen Lamas carried out religious and political activities. After getting your Alien’s travel permit, we will leave Shigatse and then drive to Lhatse for lunch.
After that, we’ll drive over Tsola Pass (4600M), and Gyatsola Pass (5248M). At Gawula Pass (5180m), tourists can view the panorama of Himalaya. Then we’ll drive along the new zigzag road to Everest Base Camp and get closer to Mt. Everest peak. If time and weather permits, you are lucky enough to catch the sunset of golden Everest peak at the lodging area.
Stay overnight at Rongbuk Guest House.
Day 7: EBC to Shigatse
In the morning, you can see the sunrise appearing on the top of Mt. Everest, and have a full view the magnificent Mt. Everest standing like a snow-capped pyramid in front of you at Rongbuk, which is the vantage point for watching Mt. Everest. Then, tourists can visit Rongbuk Monastery which is the highest monastery in the world (5000m) and belongs to Nyingma sect. After that, drive back to Shigatse.
Stay overnight in Shigatse
Day 8: Shigatse to Lhasa
Today, we will drive back to Lhasa on the friendship Highway. The whole distance is almost 280km and it takes 6 hours along the Yarlung Tsangpo River/Bhamaputra River (the Longest and largest river in Tibet).
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 9: Depart from Lhasa
The guide will transfer you to the airport or train station and help you get on board.
- Tibet travel permit and all other necessary permits to Tibet;
- All entrance ticket fees for all tourist sites listed in the itinerary;
- Personal knowledgeable English-speaking Tibetan local tour guide;
- Personal comfortable, clean and safe vehicle with reliable Tibetan local driver; vehicle ranging from 4WD land cruiser to minibus depending on your group size;
- All lodging listed in the itinerary; it’s your decision about the accommodation class: luxury 5-star international hotel, comfortable 4-star hotel, economic 3-star hotel or budget hostel, guesthouse or tent. Please tell us your accommodation preference when submitting the enquiry; we will arrange the best-value hotels for you.
- Domestic flight/train tickets listed in the itinerary;
- All meals listed in the above itinerary;
- Tourist accident/casualty insurance;
- First aid kit;
- International flight to and out of China;
- Chinese visa (Note: we could help you with the Chinese visa application, like providing the invitation letter, presenting the hotel or domestic flight reservation copies, etc that you may need. )
- Domestic flight/train not listed in the itinerary. (We can provide you the domestic flight/train ticket booking service at the BEST discount price; please contact us our travel experts for the details.)
- Meals not specified in the itinerary; usually it costs about USD3-15 per person for one meal in TAR (Tibet Autonomous Region).
- Tips and gratitude to tour guide and driver;
- Personal expenses, like laundry, phone call, snacks, soft drinks (please do the best to avoid the alcoholic beverages during your Tibet trip), optional tour activities, etc.
Contact us for your dream trip now !Enquire Now
You May Also Like
10 Days Xining and Tibet Natural Scenery Tour by Train
Xining-Qinghai Lake-Lhasa-Namtso-Shigatse-Mt.Everest Tour
8 Days Classic Xining to Tibet Tour by Train
Xining - Qinghai Lake - Lhasa
5 Days Classic Xining Lhasa Train Tour
Xining - Lhasa
7 Days Xining and Central Tibet Culture Tour by Train
Tibet train (from Xining) - Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - Lhasa
Most Frequently Asked Questions from our Clients
Get Started - 9 Days Lhasa to Everest Base Camp Tour with Tibet Train Experience