10 Days Xi’an to Lhasa and Shigatse Tour by Train
(XTT003) Xian - Lhasa - Shigatse - Lhasa
Escorted by private guide and vehicle; leave 365 days a year!
Easy - suitable for all level of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
Trip Level Guide:
- Easy - suitable for all level of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
- Moderate - suitable for ones with average level fitness, family with kids bigger than 12 yrs.
- Moderate to Strenous - suitable for ones physically fit; have experiences of high altitude trek.
- Strenuous: suitable for adventures and individual with physically fit and healthy.
The 10-day Xi’an to Lhasa and Shigatse tour features the classic tour in Xi’an, a must-visit ancient Chinese capital to international tourists, and two of most important cities in Tibet, i.e. Lhasa and Shigatse. Tourists will be able to visit the iconic Tibetan monasteries, appreciate magnificent alpine scenery and learn the exotic life of local Tibetans in Lhasa and Shigatse. In addition, tourists can board the Qinghai-Tibet train and experience the extraordinary ride on the roof of the world.
At a GlanceDay 1
Arrive in Xi’anDay 2
Xi’an Tour: The Museum of Qin Terra-cotta Warriors and Horses, Big Wild Goose PagodaDay 3
Xi’an Tour: Shanxi History Museum, Cycling on the top of Ancient City Wall, and Muslim QuarterDay 4
Board the train to Lhasa from Xi’anDay 5
Scenery View of Tibet Railway, Arrive in LhasaDay 6
Lhasa Tour - Potala Palace, Johkang Temple, and Barkhor StreetDay 7
Lhasa Tour - Drepung and Sera MonasteryDay 8
Lhasa (3650m) to Shigatse (3900m) TourDay 9
Shigatse (3900m) to Lhasa (3650m)Day 10
Departure from Lhasa
Day to Day Itinerary
Day 1: Arrive in Xi’an
Upon your arrival in the Xi’an airport or railway station, your local tour guide will escort you to your reserved hotel in Xi’an. The rest of the day is at leisure.
Stay overnight in Xi’an
Day 2: Xi’an Tour: The Museum of Qin Terra-cotta Warriors and Horses, Big Wild Goose Pagoda
In the morning, we are about to visit the Eighth Wonder of the World, the Terracotta Warriors and Horses Museum. You will not only be attracted by the life-sized warrior figures and horses, each of which has distinct facial expressions and positions, but also be astonished by various kinds of ancient weapons which reflect the highly advanced technology in weapon-making 2,200 years ago.
Afterwards, we will head to tour another must-see attraction in Xi’an Big Wild Goose Pagoda. Originally built in 652 during the Tang dynasty, the Pagoda is known for keeping the Buddhist scriptures and figurines of the Buddha brought by Xuanzang, one of the most renowned Chinese monks. The whole place is one of the most visited destinations by international tourists in Xi’an.
Stay overnight in Xi’an
Day 3: Xi’an Tour: Shanxi History Museum, Cycling on the top of Ancient City Wall, and Muslim Quarter
In the morning, we are expected to visit Shanxi History Museum, the best place to take a glance at the glorious history of ancient Chinese civilization. The precious exhibits dates from the Paleolithic era to the Qing Dynasty. The breadth and depth of the artifacts and quality of artwork from each time period and dynasty are breathtaking! The museum is crowded, so be prepared to go with the flow of the people in front of each display.
In the afternoon, tourists can enjoy wonderful cycling on the top of Ancient City Wall. The wall around the city centre of Xi'an is a massive construction, about 14 kilometres in perimeter. With 98 defensive ramparts, four main gates, and a moat around it, the ancient city wall is a wonderful example of ancient defensive building. Near its centre are the Bell Tower and Drum Tower.
Later, we will travel to Muslim Quarter, the most famous gourmet street and largest Muslim business street in Xi’an. It’s the perfect place to have close chat with street venders of Muslims and buy the exquisite handicrafts and enjoy various local snacks.
Stay overnight in Xi’an
Day 4: Board the train to Lhasa from Xi’an
In the morning, tourists will be transferred to Xian railway station and take overnight train to Lhasa.
Stay overnight in the train
Day 5: Scenery View of Tibet Railway, Arrive in Lhasa
You will witness the most beautiful scenery of Qinghai-Tibet Railway. Spectacular land of snows, boundless desert, vast grasslands, grand ice mountains, and beautiful lakes will unfold before your eyes one after another and deliver a visual feast to you. Arrive in Lhasa in the afternoon. Your tour guide will hold a board with your name and welcome you at the exit of the train station. A private tour vehicle will take you to the reserved hotel. The rest of the day is for your acclimatization to high altitude in Lhasa.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 6: Lhasa Tour - Potala Palace, Johkang Temple, and Barkhor Street
Today's tour will first bring you to the Potala Palace which is the winter palace of the Dalai lama. It was put to use since the 7th Century by the 33rd great king of Tibet. The most valuable collections of Potala Palace are the gilded burial stupas of former Dalai Lamas and meditation Cave of the 33rd great king of Tibet.
Then after lunch, tourists head to Jokhang Temple which was founded by the 33rd great king of Tibet in the 7th century, in order to promote the Buddhist religion. Inside you can see the statue of Buddha Sakyamuni at the age of twelve, perhaps the only most venerated object in Tibetan Buddhism. Around the temple is Barkhor street where you can do kora (a religious circle of a building or mountain) with pilgrims and locals, in the meantime you can buy souvenirs.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 7: Lhasa Tour - Drepung and Sera Monastery
In the morning, you are going to visit Drepung Monastery which is one of the “great three” Gelug monasteries of Tibet, founded in 1416 by Jamyang choge, one of the Tsongkhapa’s main disciples. Ganden palace used to be Dalai Lama’s palace in the Drepung before he moved to the Potala palace.
In the Afternoon, Tourists will visit Sera Monastery which is another one of the “great three” Gelug monasteries of Tibet, founded in 1419 by Jamchen Chojey, one of the Tsongkhapa’s main disciples. The hot attraction is the Monks debate at around 3 - 5 in the afternoon.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 8: Lhasa (3650m) to Shigatse (3900m) Tour
In the morning, drive from Lhasa to Shigatse .On the way, drive over the Gampala pass (4790 m), and you will have a glimpse of Yamdrok-tso (4400m) .The Lake is surrounded by many snow-capped mountains and in the distance you can have spectacular views of Holy Mount Nyenchen Khangsar, (7191m) the highest mountain near Lhasa .
Gyantse was historically Tibet's third largest city (after Lhasa and Shigatse). In Gyantse, we will visit the famous Pelkor Monastery and Gyantse Kumbum.
After one and a half driving, we arrive in Shigatse, which is the second largest city in Tibet. In Shigatse, we’ll visit Tashilunpo Monastery, the seat of Tibet's second highest incarnation, the Panchen Lama.
Stay overnight in Shigatse
Day 9: Shigatse (3900m) to Lhasa (3650m)
Day 10: Departure from Lhasa
The guide will transfer you to the airport or train station and help you get on board.
- Tibet travel permit and all other necessary permits to Tibet;
- All entrance ticket fees for all tourist sites listed in the itinerary;
- Personal knowledgeable English-speaking Tibetan local tour guide;
- Personal comfortable, clean and safe vehicle with reliable Tibetan local driver; vehicle ranging from 4WD land cruiser to minibus depending on your group size;
- All lodging listed in the itinerary; it’s your decision about the accommodation class: luxury 5-star international hotel, comfortable 4-star hotel, economic 3-star hotel or budget hostel, guesthouse or tent. Please tell us your accommodation preference when submitting the enquiry; we will arrange the best-value hotels for you.
- Domestic flight/train tickets listed in the itinerary;
- All meals listed in the above itinerary;
- Tourist accident/casualty insurance;
- First aid kit;
- International flight to and out of China;
- Chinese visa (Note: we could help you with the Chinese visa application, like providing the invitation letter, presenting the hotel or domestic flight reservation copies, etc that you may need. )
- Domestic flight/train not listed in the itinerary. (We can provide you the domestic flight/train ticket booking service at the BEST discount price; please contact us our travel experts for the details.)
- Meals not specified in the itinerary; usually it costs about USD3-15 per person for one meal in TAR (Tibet Autonomous Region).
- Tips and gratitude to tour guide and driver;
- Personal expenses, like laundry, phone call, snacks, soft drinks (please do the best to avoid the alcoholic beverages during your Tibet trip), optional tour activities, etc.
Contact us for your dream trip now !Enquire Now
You May Also Like
7 Days Classic Xi’an and Tibet Tour
Xian - Lhasa
9 Days Xi’an to Lhasa and Heavenly Namtso Tour
Xian - Lhasa - Namsto - Lhasa
9 Days Classic Chongqing and Lhasa to Shigatse Tour
Chongqing - Lhasa - Shigatse - Lhasa
15 Days Xi’an to Lhasa and Nyingchi, Tsedang and Shigatse Tour
Xian - Lhasa - Nyingchi - Gyatsa - Tsedang - Gyantse - Shigatse - Lhasa
Most Frequently Asked Questions from our Clients
Get Started - 10 Days Xi’an to Lhasa and Shigatse Tour by Train