5 Days Lhasa Outskirts Trekking Tour
Escorted by private guide and vehicle; leave 365 days a year!
Easy - suitable for all level of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
Trip Level Guide:
- Easy - suitable for all level of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
- Moderate - suitable for ones with average level fitness, family with kids bigger than 12 yrs.
- Moderate to Strenous - suitable for ones physically fit; have experiences of high altitude trek.
- Strenuous: suitable for adventures and individual with physically fit and healthy.
This adventurous 5-day Lhasa tour combines the landmark Buddhist attractions in and around Lhasa with an action-packed day trek across a number of off-the-beaten Buddhist hermitages in the suburbs of Lhasa. For tourists who have a tight schedule yet are keen to explore Tibetan monasteries and challenge the scenic trek on Tibetan Plateau, this would be a perfect choice for you.
At a GlanceDay 1
Arrive in LhasaDay 2
Lhasa Tour - Potala Palace, Johkang Temple, and Barkhor Street (B, D)Day 3
Lhasa Tour - Drepung and Sera Monastery (B)Day 4
Day Trek from Pabonka to Pubjoi MonasteryDay 5
Departure from Lhasa (B)
Day to Day Itinerary
Day 1: Arrive in Lhasa
When you arrive in Lhasa either by train or flight, your guide will greet you and take you to your hotel. You may view the Yarlung Tsangpo River and Lhasa river on their way to Lhasa.
After arriving in Lhasa, you can take a rest and get acclimatized to high altitude. If you feel to go out, then you can go to the Potala Square, where you will enjoy the fountain with different colors and get amazing photos of the Potala and around.
For the new-comers of Tibet, to get acclimatized to the high altitude in Tibet. Having a good sleep in your hotel is a good option. Don not rush to visit attractions inside Lhasa city.
Stay overnight in Lhasa.
Day 2: Lhasa Tour - Potala Palace, Johkang Temple, and Barkhor Street (B, D)
Today's tour will first bring you to the Potala Palace which is the winter palace of the Dalai lama. It was put to use since the 7th Century by the 33rd great king of Tibet. The most valuable collections of Potala Palace are the gilded burial stupas of former Dalai Lamas and meditation Cave of the 33rd great king of Tibet.
Then after lunch, tourists head to Jokhang Temple which was founded by the 33rd great king of Tibet in the 7th century. Inside you can see the statue of Buddha Sakyamuni at the age of twelve. Outside, you can see pilgrims making prostrating in front of Jokhang Temple. Around the temple is Barkhor Street, where you can do kora (a religious circle of a building or mountain) with pilgrims and locals, and explore the old market.
Besides, we can taste Tibetan tea with locals in tea house; the welcome dinner will also be arranged accordingly.
With time permitting, you may go with tour guide to visit Tibetan handicraft art or Tibetan Traditional Medicine center. You can upgrade your service to enjoy Tibetan Culture Show in the evening (fr. 60USD)
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 3: Lhasa Tour - Drepung and Sera Monastery (B)
In the morning , you are going to visit Drepung Monastery which is one of the “great three” Gelug monasteries of Tibet, founded in 1416 by Jamyang choge, one of the Tsongkhapa’s main disciples. You can visit biggest monastery kitchen inside the monastery and enjoy Buddhist Sculpture Carving workshop near Drepung.
In the Afternoon, Tourists will visit Sera Monastery which is another one of the “great three” Gelug monasteries of Tibet. The hot attraction is the Monks debate at around 3 - 5 in the afternoon. In addition, you can tour the Tibetan religious scripture printing house; inside the monastery, you can see three sand Mandalas and colorful Rock Painting of Buddha.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 4: Day Trek from Pabonka to Pubjoi Monastery
In the morning, we drive to cliff-side Pabonka Palace 15km from city center, and visit the holy cave where Songtsen Gampo the 33rd Tibetan king used to meditate.
From here, we start the day trek; hike for 30 minutes northeast up to Tashi Chöling Hermitage passing through a distance view of sky-burial place but tourists are not allowed to visit and take photos.
After short break at Tashi Choling, hike continuously for about 40 minutes, ascending 300m by alternative trails to a cliff side hermitage called Tagden Ritro, where you enjoy clear spring water, birds singings and gorgeous panoramic view of Lhasa city and we can enjoy the lunch box here.
From here no more ascent, slide descending towards Sera Ütse hermitage another 40minutes walk, the panoramic view of Lhasa is wider and wider. And finally, trek further for over an hour more to Purbu Jog Monastery via Raka Drak hermitage. Through this section of hiking, you can see a spectacular scenery of both Nyangra and Thokde valley.
After visiting Purbu Jog this small beautiful monastery, you will be picked up by your driver near by the monastery and finish your hike.
Insider Tips: This is not an easy trek so trekkers must be fit with and fully adjusted to this elevation, and bring enough water because it’s hot and dry there.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 5: Departure from Lhasa (B)
The guide will transfer you to the airport or train station and help you get on board.
- Tibet travel permit and all other necessary permits to Tibet;
- All entrance ticket fees for all tourist sites listed in the itinerary;
- Personal knowledgeable English-speaking Tibetan local tour guide;
- Personal comfortable, clean and safe vehicle with reliable Tibetan local driver; vehicle ranging from 4WD land cruiser to minibus depending on your group size;
- All lodging listed in the itinerary; it’s your decision about the accommodation class: luxury 5-star international hotel, comfortable 4-star hotel, economic 3-star hotel or budget hostel, guesthouse or tent. Please tell us your accommodation preference when submitting the enquiry; we will arrange the best-value hotels for you.
- Domestic flight/train tickets listed in the itinerary;
- All meals listed in the above itinerary;
- Tourist accident/casualty insurance;
- First aid kit;
- International flight to and out of China;
- Chinese visa (Note: we could help you with the Chinese visa application, like providing the invitation letter, presenting the hotel or domestic flight reservation copies, etc that you may need. )
- Domestic flight/train not listed in the itinerary. (We can provide you the domestic flight/train ticket booking service at the BEST discount price; please contact us our travel experts for the details.)
- Meals not specified in the itinerary; usually it costs about USD3-15 per person for one meal in TAR (Tibet Autonomous Region).
- Tips and gratitude to tour guide and driver;
- Personal expenses, like laundry, phone call, snacks, soft drinks (please do the best to avoid the alcoholic beverages during your Tibet trip), optional tour activities, etc.
Contact us for your dream trip now !Enquire Now
You May Also Like
9 Days Tsurphu to Yangpachen Trek
Lhasa - Tsurphu Monastery - 4 Days' Trekking - Yangpachen - Lhasa
9 Days Ganden to Samye Trek
Lhasa - Ganden Monastery - Trek to Samye Monastery - Lhasa
12 Days Classic Trek from Tingri to EBC via Ra-chu Valley
Lhasa - Yamdrok Lake - Shigatse - Old Tingri - Trekking to EBC - Sakya - Lhasa
15 Days Challenge to Everest Advance Base Camp Trek [6500M]
Lhasa - Shigatse - EBC -Base Camp1-Interim Camp -Base Camp2- ABC
Most Frequently Asked Questions from our Clients
Get Started - 5 Days Lhasa Outskirts Trekking Tour