About Pangong Lake
Pangong Lake is a famous border lake. It lies to the north of the Rutog County (not far from Rutog Rock Paintings) and extends westward across the border. “Pangong” comes from the Indian language, meaning “a patch of meadow”. In the Tibetan language, this lake is called “Cuomu Angla Renbo Tso”, which means “Long-Necked Crane Lake”.
Most part of the Pangong Lake lies in China, with only a small part in Kashmir. From east to west, the lake is 155 km long, with an average breadth of 2-5 km. The broadest place from north to south is only 15 km. It is formed with 3 narrow lakes linked together. The 593-square-kilometer lake is 4,242 meters above sea level, with the deepest point reaching 57 meters. The highlight about this lake is that its eastern part inside China is fresh water, while the western part in Kashmir is salt water. Although the fresh water part is crystal clear and the water tastes sweet, there is only sparse vegetation on the bank. On the contrary, the salt water part has reared lush meadows on the bank.
The lake is famous for the schizothoracin, a kind of carp unique in Tibet. The fish is known as “Crack-Bellied Fish” because at its anus and anal fins large scales that appear like a long crack long the belly. This fish has evolved to meet the harsh conditions of the Tibetan Plateau.
At the lake center is a small island at 300 meters long and 200 meters broad. Bar-headed goose, brown-headed gull, black-necked crane and nearly 20 other species of birds dwell on this ideal resort. When they all gather, the sky is throbbing with wings and ringing with songs. This bird island is at the world’s highest elevation. Nearby the lake’s banks are sites of some prehistoric tribes.
Pangong Lake can be reached in a 5-hour drive from Leh, most of it on a rough and dramatic mountain road. The road crosses the villages of Shey and Gya and traverses the Changla Pass, where army sentries and a small teahouse greet visitors. Toad down from Changla Pass leads through Tangste and other smaller villages, crossing river called Pagal Naala or “The Crazy Stream”. The spectacular lakeside is open during the tourist reason, from May to Sept..
The first glimpse of the tranquil, azure blue water and shaky lakeshore remains deeply in the memory of tourists. You will realize that the undisturbed animals and the undeveloped landscape are the most precious pictures.
( Pangong Tso is a paradise for migrant birds.)
Restaurant and Accommodation
The options for eatery are limited. “Pangong Tso resort” is a famous hotel on the lakeside. They can offer some local venison, like Schizothorax, wild meat and bird eggs. But it is advised not to eat in consideration of environmental protection. Carry your own food will never go wrong.
It is the most convenient for you to stay in Pangong Tso resort, and the normal price of standard room is CNY160 per room. If you want to create peculiar photos, you can try to camp by the lakeside to capture the spectacular sceneries of sunrise and sunset. Of course, you will have more choice by going back to Rutog County.
1. 8 kilometers away from Rutog County along Tibet line
There is a huge stone engraved with red words of ‘Pangong Tso’ by the lakeside, which is left to travelers who want to take a photo with “here I am’. In the wetland in front of the resort, you can take one or two obsolete small wooden boats as foreground. Keep moving and you will discover several corner are also good places to shoot the sceneries of lake and mountain.
( Photo shows red words of ‘Pangong Tso’ by the lakeside.)
2. On the way back and forth to bird island
It is a great opportunity to snapshoot the flyer when you are close to the bird island. The waterfowl are tweeting on the lake and seagulls are chasing each other on the quarter. You should try to creep and disguise so as to approach the birds as much as possible.
( There are full of bird nests and eggs on Bird Island. Photo shows eggs of a brown-headed gull.)
Pangong Tso is a destination for photographers and experiential travelers to appreciate exceptional natural beauty. Generally, as an important shoot place among Tibetan lakes, Pangong Tso is arranged in Ngari trip.
Plan A: Rent a car to Pangong Tso along Ali line from Lhasa and arrive in there seven days later. There are many attractions you can shoot, such as YamdrokTso Lake, Mount Everest, Tashilhunpo Monastery and so on. The whole journey is about 2,200 kilometers.
Plan B: If you start from Karghalik in Sinkiang, which will cost you three days. The whole journey is 910 kilometers. Spend a night at the lakeside and get to the bird islands by boat where you can have a close contact with Bar-headed Geese, Great Blackneaded Gull, etc.
( Photo shows the most common birds on the island. Birds fly very fast and you should try to use large aperture of the lens and continuous auto focus to insure clear photos.)
Tips of Pangong Lake
1. An Inner Line Permit is required to visit the lake as it lies on the Sino-Indian Line of Actual Control. While Indian nationals can obtain individual permit, others must have group permits accompanied by an accredited guide, which is issued by the tourist office for a small fee.
2. There are some legends about Loong and lake monster according to the locals. Maybe you will come across one during your visit.
3. Although its elevation is not too high, you still need to pay attention to the altitude sickness.
4.Try to creep quietly and do not disturb the birds during your shooting. Please do not tread eggs under your feet and touch or sneak the eggs in the nest. Otherwise the birds will give up hatching the eggs.
Attractions nearby Pangong Lake
Recommended Tour Itineraries Including the Pangong Lake
Regarded as the holiest moutain and lake in Tibet, Mount Kailash and Lake Manasarovar attract a number of pilgrim to visit with a cleansing heart on the roof of the world. Certainly, other tourist attractions in Ngari are filled with magic. Tibet Vista provides more than 10 tour packages including these tourist attractions in Ngari Prefecture at the best price.
Popular Ngari Tour Deals
- 11 Days Tibet Kailash Pilgrimage Tour by Helicopter from Nepal Kathmandu - Nepalgunj - Hilsa - Purang - Manasarovar - Darchen - Kailash - Purang - Nepalgunj - Kathmandu
- 15 Days Kailash and Manasarova Tour Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - E.B.C - Lake Manasarova - Kailash Trek - Saga - Shigatse - Lhasa
- 15 Days Kailash Pilgrimage Tour from Kathmandu (fly in and out via Lhasa) Kathmandu - Lhasa - Shigatse - Saga - Lake Manasarover - Mt. Kailash trek - Darchen- Drirapuk - Saga -Shigatse- Lhasa - Kathmandu
- 17 Days Kailash Manasarovar Tour & Guge Kingdom Exploration Lhasa - Everest Base Camp - Kailash Kora (3 days) - Guge Kingdom - Lhasa
- 19 Days Big Loop Tour around Ngari Region Lhasa - Everest - Saga- Manasarovar Lake - Kailash - Darchen - Guge Kingdom - Tsada - Shiquan River - Gerze - Namtso - Lhasa
- 22 Days Western and Northern Tibet Overland Lhasa-Gyangtse-Shigatse-Mt.Everest-Manasarover-Mt.Kailash-Guge-Ali-Gegye-Gertse-Dong tso-Nyma-Banger-Namtso Round tour
- 22 Days Travel to western Tibet from Nepal Kathmandu-Lhasa-Namtso-Ali-Guge Kingdom-Darchen-Lake Manasarovar-Peiku-tso Lake-Gyirong Port
How to get thereAddress: Rutog County, Ali Prefecture
2. Car-- It is very near to Xinjiang-Tibet Road.
Best time to visit it
Admission FeeCNY 100
Map of Pangong Lake
enlarge the map