the temple to honor mater Atisha
About Drolma Lhakhang
This significant although small monastery is jam-packed with ancient relics and hidden treasures. It’s only 30 minutes drive southwest of Lhasa and is worth a stop for those interested in Tibetan Buddhism.
As you take the Lhasa-Tsetang road out of Lhasa, you’ll pass a blue rock carving of Sakyamuni Buddha at the base of a cliff about 11 km southwest of town. Nyetang village and the monastery are about 6 km further on.
Drolma Lhakhang is associated with the Bengali scholar Atisha. Atisha came to Tibet and his teachings were instrumental in the so-called second diffusion of Buddhism in the 11th century. Drolma Lhakhang was established at this time by one of Atisha’s foremost disciples, Dromtonpa, who also founded the Kadampa order, to which the monastery belongs. It was here at Netang that Atisha died aged 72.
The first chapel to the left is a gonkhang, decorated with severed stags’ heads and arrow holders. As you enter and exit the main monastery building look for the 2 ancient guardian deities, which may even date back to the 11th century founding of the monastery. An inner kora surrounds the main chapels.
Tips of Drolma Lhakhang
Drolma Lhakhang is right by the roadside, so it’s very convenient for visitors to come and go.
Attractions nearby Drolma Lhakhang
Recommended Tour Itineraries Including Drolma Lhakhang
It couldn't be better to tour Lhasa famous tourist attractions when travelling in Tibet. Tibet Vista provides more than 10 Lhasa tour packages including these tourist attractions at the best price.
Popular Lhasa Tour Deals
- 3 Days Lhasa Tour at a Glimpse Lhasa
- 4 Days Lhasa Impression Small Group Tour Lhasa
- 5 Days Lhasa Small Group Tour with Three Major Monasteries Lhasa
- 5 Days Lhasa and Yamdrok Lake Small Group Tour Lhasa - Yamdrok Lake - Lhasa
- 6 Days Lhasa and Lake Namtso Small Group Tour Lhasa - Namtso Lake - Lhasa
- 6 Days Central Tibet Culture Small Group Tour Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse- Lhasa
- 8 Days Lhasa to Everest Base Camp Small Group Tour Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - Everest Base Camp - Lhasa
How to get thereAddress: Nietang District, Qushui County, Lhasa
1. Bus-- Any bus heading to/ from destinations south of Lhasa will take you past the entrance to Drolma Lhakhang, is you can get on it.
Best time to visit itYou can actually visit Drolma Lhakhang all year round, but Jul., Aug. and Sept. would be the best time to go.
Opening Hours: 9:00--17:00
Admission FeeCNY 35
Map of Drolma Lhakhang
View Larger Map