International trade port
About Nepal Building and Darchula Bazaar
Nepal Building is situated in the north of Purang County. Unlike other concrete architectures, Nepal Building is actually made up of countless caves in a hill, some of which used to be temples. Now, many Indians and Nepalese cross the international border to make a business in Purang. That’s why local people tend to call this hill Nepal Building.
It is now a trading center comprising a number of distinct settlements separated by the Hunla Karnali River, known in Tibetan as Mabja Tsangpo (Peacock River). Nepali traders come up from the Humla and Darchula regions in the extreme west of Nepal to trade a variety of goods, including rice, carried up from Nepal in huge trains of goods-carrying goats. Indian traded for Tibetan salt and wool in the Darchula Bazaar, a 15-minute walk south of Purang.
This bazaar consists of 6 or 7 rows of shops. In Darchula Bazaar, most vendors are Nepalese, bringing clothes, jewellery, coffees and perfumes in, and taking wools and sheep back to Nepal. There are also some sellers from India, Tibet and even inland China.
Purang is also the arrival point for the annual influx of Hindu pilgrims from India, intent on making a kora of Mount Kailash, which devout Hindus consider the abode of Shiva.
Tips of Nepal Building and Darchula Bazaar
You need to manage your shopping time because when it’s getting dark, the seller will close the shops.
Attractions nearby Nepal Building and Darchula Bazaar
Recommended Tour Itineraries Including the Nepal Building and Darchula Bazaar
Regarded as the holiest moutain and lake in Tibet, Mount Kailash and Lake Manasarovar attract a number of pilgrim to visit with a cleansing heart on the roof of the world. Certainly, other tourist attractions in Ngari are filled with magic. Tibet Vista provides more than 10 tour packages including these tourist attractions in Ngari Prefecture at the best price.
Popular Ngari Tour Deals
- 11 Days Tibet Kailash Pilgrimage Tour by Helicopter from Nepal Kathmandu - Nepalgunj - Hilsa - Purang - Manasarovar - Darchen - Kailash - Purang - Nepalgunj - Kathmandu
- 15 Days Kailash and Manasarova Tour Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - E.B.C - Lake Manasarova - Kailash Trek - Saga - Shigatse - Lhasa
- 15 Days Kailash Pilgrimage Tour from Kathmandu (fly in and out via Lhasa) Kathmandu - Lhasa - Shigatse - Saga - Lake Manasarover - Mt. Kailash trek - Darchen- Drirapuk - Saga -Shigatse- Lhasa - Kathmandu
- 17 Days Kailash Manasarovar Tour & Guge Kingdom Exploration Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - Everest Base Camp - Saga - Darchen - Kailash Kora (3 days) - Guge Kingdom - Manasarovar - Saga - Sakya - Shigatse - Lhasa
- 19 Days Big Loop Tour around Ngari Region Lhasa - Everest - Saga- Manasarovar Lake - Kailash - Darchen - Guge Kingdom - Tsada - Shiquan River - Gerze - Namtso - Lhasa
- 22 Days Western and Northern Tibet Overland Lhasa-Gyangtse-Shigatse-Mt.Everest-Manasarover-Mt.Kailash-Guge-Ali-Gegye-Gertse-Dong tso-Nyma-Banger-Namtso Round tour
- 22 Days Travel to western Tibet from Nepal Kathmandu-Lhasa-Namtso-Ali-Guge Kingdom-Darchen-Lake Manasarovar-Peiku-tso Lake-Gyirong Port
How to get there
Best time to visit it
Map of Nepal Building and Darchula Bazaar
enlarge the map