Most famous monastery in Ali Prefecture
About Korjak Monastery
Korjak Monastery is a Buddhist monastery in Korjak Town, Burang County, Ali (or Ngari) Prefecture in western Tibet. It is located not very far to the southeast of Burang and just northeast of the Indian border.
Korjak Monastery is an important monastery of the Sakya order. The blood-red compound, which dates back to 996 was destroyed once, but the damage has been repaired with financial assistance from German and Italian sponsors.
It was previously one of the most important Kagyu monasteries in Western Tibet. It has inner and outer gates and a large courtyard. The atmospheric main hall is entered via an ancient wooden door with particularly fine carvings. The hall itself is presided over by a figure of Jampa. To the far left is a small chamber with paintings from the earliest days of the monastery. Hanging from the ceiling to the right of the entrance are the stuffed carcasses of a yak, Indian tiger, snow leopard, bear, wolverine and a wolf. The inner kora gives access to a hidden protector chapel. When you finish inside, do a final kora around the compound to see the unusual om mani padme hum mantra painted on the back wall.
On special days in Sept. or early Oct., monks come in from the areas around and perform day-long dances using masks. Betrothed maidens come out wearing their family’s jewellery and fine outfits.
Tips of Korjak Monastery
Attractions nearby Korjak Monastery
Recommended Tour Itineraries Including Korjak Monastery
Regarded as the holiest moutain and lake in Tibet, Mount Kailash and Lake Manasarovar attract a number of pilgrim to visit with a cleansing heart on the roof of the world. Certainly, other tourist attractions in Ngari are filled with magic. Tibet Vista provides more than 10 tour packages including these tourist attractions in Ngari Prefecture at the best price.
Popular Ngari Tour Deals
- 11 Days Tibet Kailash Pilgrimage Tour by Helicopter from Nepal Kathmandu - Nepalgunj - Hilsa - Purang - Manasarovar - Darchen - Kailash - Purang - Nepalgunj - Kathmandu
- 15 Days Kailash and Manasarova Tour Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - E.B.C - Lake Manasarova - Kailash Trek - Saga - Shigatse - Lhasa
- 15 Days Kailash Pilgrimage Tour from Kathmandu (fly in and out via Lhasa) Kathmandu - Lhasa - Shigatse - Saga - Lake Manasarover - Mt. Kailash trek - Darchen- Drirapuk - Saga -Shigatse- Lhasa - Kathmandu
- 17 Days Kailash Manasarovar Tour & Guge Kingdom Exploration Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - Everest Base Camp - Saga - Darchen - Kailash Kora (3 days) - Guge Kingdom - Manasarovar - Saga - Sakya - Shigatse - Lhasa
- 19 Days Big Loop Tour around Ngari Region Lhasa - Everest - Saga- Manasarovar Lake - Kailash - Darchen - Guge Kingdom - Tsada - Shiquan River - Gerze - Namtso - Lhasa
- 22 Days Western and Northern Tibet Overland Lhasa-Gyangtse-Shigatse-Mt.Everest-Manasarover-Mt.Kailash-Guge-Ali-Gegye-Gertse-Dong tso-Nyma-Banger-Namtso Round tour
- 22 Days Travel to western Tibet from Nepal Kathmandu-Lhasa-Namtso-Ali-Guge Kingdom-Darchen-Lake Manasarovar-Peiku-tso Lake-Gyirong Port
How to get there
Best time to visit it
Map of Korjak Monastery
enlarge the map