About Gyantse Dzong
Gyantse Dzong or Gyantse Fortress in one of the best preserved dzongs (one kind of fortress) in Tibet. It stands high above the Gyantse City on a huge spur of grey brown rock.
The original fortress, known as Gyel-khar-tse was attributed to Pelkhor-tsen, son of the anti-Buddhist King Langdharma. The present walls were built in 1268, after the rise of Sakyapa Sect. Phakpa Pelzangpo, who had found favor campaigning for the Sakyapas in the south, finished the large palace in 1365. The famous Buddhist teacher Buton Rinchendrub of Zhalu was also brought to live in there by him. His son, Kungpa Phakpa expanded the conplex and moved the royal residence here from the palace in the 14th century.
Gyantse is often called the “Hero City” by local people, because of the determined resistance of the Tibetans against far superior forces during the British invasion to Tibet of 1903 and 1904. It was a slow and bloody massacre of hundreds of Tibetan people, who were only equipped with antiquated matchlock guns, swords spears and slingshots at that time. What they faced were Maxim machine guns and 10-pound cannons.
At a night of May 1904, Tibetan ambushed British army and won this little battle, but what came later destroyed this determinate group of people. 6 months later, the backup army from Britain sent cannons here, bombing Gyantse Dzong nearly to the ground. In order not to be captured by British troops, the survivals of Tibetan people all jumped from the fortress.
However, the Gyantse Dzong, experiencing so many destructions, has gradually been restored and still “dominates the town and surrounding plains as it always did”.
Tips of Gyantse Dzong
1. Sichuan food and Tibetan food are very famous and welcome in Gyantse City.
2. There are some hotels providing both ordinary rooms and Tibetan rooms there. Normally speaking, the Tibetan style room are better equipped and more expensive.
Attractions nearby Gyantse Dzong
Recommended Tour Itineraries Including Gyantse Dzong
It couldn't be better to tour Lhasa famous tourist attractions when travelling in Tibet. Tibet Vista provides more than 10 Lhasa tour packages including these tourist attractions at the best price.
Popular Lhasa Tour Deals
- 3 Days Lhasa Tour at a Glimpse Lhasa
- 4 Days Lhasa Impression Small Group Tour Lhasa
- 5 Days Lhasa Small Group Tour with Three Major Monasteries Lhasa
- 5 Days Lhasa and Yamdrok Lake Small Group Tour Lhasa - Yamdrok Lake - Lhasa
- 6 Days Lhasa and Lake Namtso Small Group Tour Lhasa - Namtso Lake - Lhasa
- 6 Days Central Tibet Culture Small Group Tour Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse- Lhasa
- 8 Days Lhasa to Everest Base Camp Small Group Tour Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - Everest Base Camp - Lhasa
Recommended Tour Itineraries Including the Tourist Attraction
Regarded as the holiest moutain and lake in Tibet, Mount Kailash and Lake Manasarovar attract a number of pilgrim to visit with a cleansing heart on the roof of the world. Certainly, other tourist attractions in Ngari are filled with magic. Tibet Vista provides more than 10 tour packages including these tourist attractions in Ngari Prefecture at the best price.
Popular Ngari Tour Deals
- 11 Days Tibet Kailash Pilgrimage Tour by Helicopter from Nepal Kathmandu - Nepalgunj - Hilsa - Purang - Manasarovar - Darchen - Kailash - Purang - Nepalgunj - Kathmandu
- 15 Days Kailash and Manasarova Tour Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - E.B.C - Lake Manasarova - Kailash Trek - Saga - Shigatse - Lhasa
- 15 Days Kailash Pilgrimage Tour from Kathmandu (fly in and out via Lhasa) Kathmandu - Lhasa - Shigatse - Saga - Lake Manasarover - Mt. Kailash trek - Darchen- Drirapuk - Saga -Shigatse- Lhasa - Kathmandu
- 17 Days Kailash Manasarovar Tour & Guge Kingdom Exploration Lhasa - Shigatse - Sagar - Manasarovar Lake -Zanda- Guge Kingdom - Darchen - Kailash Kora (3 days) -Paryang-Tingri-EBC-Shigatse - Lhasa
- 19 Days Big Loop Tour around Ngari Region Lhasa - Everest - Saga- Manasarovar Lake - Kailash - Darchen - Guge Kingdom - Tsada - Shiquan River - Gerze - Namtso - Lhasa
- 22 Days Western and Northern Tibet Overland Lhasa-Gyangtse-Shigatse-Mt.Everest-Manasarover-Mt.Kailash-Guge-Ali-Gegye-Gertse-Dong tso-Nyma-Banger-Namtso Round tour
- 22 Days Travel to western Tibet from Nepal Kathmandu-Lhasa-Namtso-Ali-Guge Kingdom-Darchen-Lake Manasarovar-Peiku-tso Lake-Gyirong Port
How to get there
1. Bus-- There are buses going to Gyantse City everyday from Shigatse Station, CNY 20 per person.
Best time to visit it
Admission FeeCNY 40
Map of Gyantse Dzong
enlarge the map