Trekking Strategy (Bike-riding) from Tingri to EBC
You may know that travel to Tibet can be really fantastic, especially when you choose trekking in Tibet. This paper is about the trekking (bike-riding) strategy from Tingri to EBC.
This section, Tingri to EBC trekking, can be walking as well as bike-riding, however, bike-riding is not supposed to be feasible from Medog and Lugu Lake to Daocheng.
1. A bike (two spare inner tubes; one outer tube; one chain belt hole puncher; one bicycle pump; one internal hexagonal wrench; two brake cables; four brake rubbers; one link chain rectifier; one clamp; glue for realtime skin repair; etc.). Please don't give up these articles by thinking they're too heavy or too big in size. In fact, a bicycle pump only weighs one gram and is as small as a ham sausage. These are all special tools and are quite convenient.
2. Backpack (bicycle saddlebag).
3. Compass, altitude meter, flashlight and ten batteries.
4. A piece of firecrackers (1000) to be cut to 2 to 4 pieces with 1 piece at hand. Fire it when coming across wild wolves and other animals (do not fire it if the animals don't attack ) using matchsticks (lighters are not easy to kindle because of a lack of oxygen at an an altitude of four to five thousand meters). Knives and axe may not work well on wild animals and it is better to use firecrackers to frighten them and embolden yourselves.
5. 500ml alcohol.
6. 500ml gasoline. Inflame the gasoline (fire the firecrackers first) for self-defense when coming across animal attack camping at night.
7. One long stick ( it's for self-defense and it is more helpful than knives. Every one who has a tibet trekking for the Mount Everest should have one).
8. High altitude tent, sleeping bag, camping mat and moistureproof mat.
9. Cotton-padded clothes, rain-proof clothes, hat, sunglass and lipstick (necessity for going for the Mount Everest).
10. Alcohol cooker (can only drink cold water and eat cold food without it, and drinking wine can warm your stomach ).
11. 2 ropes, a pair of scissors and 1 knife.
1. Trauma: red flower oil, woundplast, mercurochrome, gauze, rubberized fabric, bandage and alcohol.
2. Cavum laryngis: Compound Caoshanhu Tablets and Watermelon Frost Throat-Clearing Buccal Tablets.
3. Clearing heat and antiphlogosis: radix isatidis infusion.
4. Healing pulmonitis: Cefalexin Capsules and ofloxacin.
5. Anti-oxygen deficiency: amylaceum (useful).
6. Antiphlogistic drug: spiramycin.
7. The stomach and intesitine drugs: Motilium, norfloxacin and Agastache rugosus liquid.
8. Cold cure : VC Yinqiao Tablets (In fact, the key point is to heal pulmonitis, for on plateau, a cold can easily become pulmonary emphysema and cough may lead to pulmonary diseases.).
One box of Master Kang instant noodles; ten pieces of ham sausage; 15 steamed buns (in steamed stuffed bun's size) and 6 bags of hot pickled mustard tuber; 2 bottles of coke; 1 bag of chocolate; 1 bottle of wine (not alcoholism, but for warming the stomach while eating cold food); 5 L to 6 L water.
1. Day 01: shopping in Tingri city, asking about the weather and recent road condition, having a hearty meal and preparing for going for the mountain.
2. Day 02: Tingri — Lulu frontier station —turning of National road 308 leading to the mountain — mountain-entering toll gate — Wuming campsite. About 30km and 10 hours. There's no village between the toll gate and Wuming campsite and the trekking after the toll gate is quite arduous with very low oxygen content.
3. Day 03: Wuming campsite to Trashi Chhoe Dzong. About 30km and 10 hours. It will be going uphill before noon and is of very low oxygen content. Then it will be easier walking downhill after noon. There are villages between them and the food price is quite high. The boiled water can be 5 to 10RMB per kettle. Szechwan fried dishes are available after arriving in Trashi Chhoe Dzong and it can be 25 to 40RMB per person drinking and eating; as for the Tibetan inns, it is 25 to 40RMB per person for domitory and it is free to pitch tent.
4. Day 04: Trashi Chhoe Dzong to Rongbuk Monastery. About 45km and 10 hours. There are villages between them and boiled water is available. Restaurants and hotels can be found in Rongbuk Monastery. It's 25 to 40RMB per person eating and drinking; the domitory is 30 to 40RMB per person in Tibetan hotels and the self-pitched tent shall also be charged for 10 RMB each.
5. Day 05: Rongbuk Monastery to the EBC. 8km and around 3 hours. The altitude of the EBC is 5200m. There is no hotels there and it's free to pitch tents.
There is no ICBC in the whole Tibet and you'd better carry with you the card of ABC, Postbank or CCB.
The above said three banks are all available in Lhasa, but for your convenience, it's better for you to use ABC or Postbank in cities other than Lhasa.
1. Tingri to the Mount Everest ( round trip )
1）Applying bordering password card: 10RMB.
2）Entrance ticket for the EBC: 65RMB (whether it is higher now is unknown).
3）Tingri to the EBC: 1-day-rest in Tingri and 4-day trekking, which are 5 days in total and 70RMB per day (including board and lodging).
4）One-day rest in the EBC: 40RMB.
5）The EBC to Tingri: asking for a lift from nearby cars, one day with 50RMB for car fare and 40RMB for eating and drinking.
7 days' subtotal: around 550RMB.
2. Lhasa to Tingri (round trip)
sking for a lift from a passing-by car (not chartered bus), single trip is 2.5 days, car fare 350RMB per person and 40RMB per day for eating and drinking.
Round trip: 5 days and 860RMB in subtotal.
Total: Lhasa to the EBC (round trip), 12 days and 1410RMB.
Matters Needing Attention
1. The rainy season from July to August should not be chosen, for the roads are usually blocked and tdebris flow may happen. It's better for around May or from September to October.
2. Rest properly so as to maintain physical strength, as while moving on a place of an altitude of around 5000m, you should not flaunt your superiority especially on steep roads and should rest a while every 20 to 50m.
3. Cover your head carefully when coming across cold wind, for the wind there can easily make you have a cold.
4. If you feel a very bad wether, have some anti-pulmonitis drugs and cold cure in advance, or it'll be late if you have them after you have already had a cold.
5. When camping during the journey, do not set the tent below the mountain stream so as to avoid the sudden flash flood at night.
6. All the nails on the tent should be set into the ground and stones should be used all round the tent to stable it. The camping should be very steady.
7. You should be especially careful while camping around the EBC, because there are all moving stones on the mountains. Sometimes there are wild sheep or wild ass walking on the mountains and then the stones can roll off easily.
8. The tools for self-defense must be put somewhere at hand.
9. Pay attention to environmental protection. Don't throw away rubbishes anywhere. You'd better carry the rubbishes out of the mountain or bury them under the ground.
More Mount Everest Base Camp Travel Guide
- Everest Base Camp Nepal vs Everest Base Camp Tibet
- Mount Everest History and Its Famous Explorers
- The Difference of Mt. Everest in Nepal and Tibet
- Kathmandu to EBC Distance: how far and how to get to EBC in Nepal and Tibet from Kathmandu
- How Many Base Camps on Everest in Both Sides of Tibet and Nepal
Everest Base Camp Tour Guide
- Best Time to Travel to Everest Base Camp
- When is the Best Time to Enjoy EBC Trek in Nepal
- The Best Hotel at Everest Base Camp (EBC)
- Guide to Everest Base Camp Tour in Winter
- How to Get to Everest Base Camp (EBC) from Nepal?
- How to Get to Everest Base Camp (EBC) from Lhasa?
- What Documents Do I Need for Everest Base Camp Tour in Tibet and Nepal?
Everest Trekking Guide
- What to Pack for Everest Base Camp Trek
- Tingri to Everest Base Camp Trekking
- Everest Trek: Trekking Routes along The Gama Valley
- Everest Base Camp Trekking Maps in Tibet
- Ultimate Packing List for EBC Trek in Tibet
- Best Trek in Nepal: Everest Base Camp Trek vs. Annapurna Circuit Trek
- Top 2 EBC Trekking Routes in Tibet
- EBC Trek in Tibet vs. EBC Trek in Nepal
Recommended Everest Base Camp Trek Tour Packages
12 Days Classic Trek from Tingri to EBC via Ra-chu Valley
Tour Route:Lhasa - Yamdrok Lake - Shigatse - Old Tingri - Trekking to EBC - Sakya - Lhasa
From USD1,264 p.p
15 Days Challenge to Everest Advance Base Camp Trek [6500M]
Tour Route:Lhasa - Shigatse - EBC -Base Camp1-Interim Camp -Base Camp2- ABC
From USD2,211 p.p
16 Days Gama Valley Trekking in the Eastern Slope of Mt. Everest
Tour Route:Lhasa-Yamdrok Lake-Shigatse-Trek (Youpa, Eastern Slope of Mt.Everest BC, Lhundupling)-Shigatse-Lhasa
From USD2,926 p.p
Photographic Guide to Top Three Holy Lakes in Tibet