Five Tips for Travelling in Tibet from Experts
As we know, altitude sickness is the biggest risk for travelers to Tibet. Now it is the best time to visit Tibet and thousands of tourists flock into Tibet by flight, train or bus. We would like to share five tips for travelling in Tibet from experts with travelers who will travel to Tibet.
1. Drink plenty of water/fluids. As the air humidity at Tibetan plateau is very low, it's easy to get dehydrated during traveling in Tibet. One to five liters a day is recommended to maintain clear, copious urine.
2. Don't smoke, if you are a chronic smoker, keep it to a minimum. Lots of carbon monoxide is produced during smoking. The affinity of carbon monoxide and haemoglobin is 250 to 300 times of that of oxygen and haemoglobin. So smoking will aggravate altitude sickness.
3. Do abdominal respiration as much as possible when you are walking or climbing.
4. Avoid too hot shower which will speed up metabolism and aggravate oxygen, and then cause pulmonary edema.
5. Stick to high-carbohydrate diet which will increase the exchange ventilation of oxygen, while too much fat and animal protein will aggravate altitude sickness.
Hiring a local tour travel guide is important and helpful if it is your first tour to Tibet. The local tour guides know how to deal with altitude sickness and can take you to nearest hospital.