The Best Hotel at Everest Base Camp (EBC)
If you are planning an Everest Base Camp Tour, you will very likely be interested in the question considering the best hotel in EBC. Then what’s the best hotel in EBC and where should you lodge in EBC? In fact, there are hardly any “real” hotels in EBC for the accommodations in those said hotels in EBC are all not comparable to those in Lhasa or Shigatse because of the harsh climate and environment in EBC. However, accommodations are still available in EBC.
Everest Base Camp Tour
There are several places where you will pass by from Shigatse to EBC, including Lhatse, Tingri, Tashi Dzom, Rongbuk Monastery, and Everest Base Camp. Normally, travelers can stay in Tingri, Tashi Dzom, Rongbuk Monastery, and EBC. Here are some options for you.
Staying in Tingri
Tingri is at an altitude of about 4,300 meters (approx. 14,107 feet), around 107 km north-west of Mount Everest, often used as a base by mountain climbers or trekkers preparing to trek Mount Everest. There are many benefits for travelers staying here. First of all, the lower altitude will make you more comfortable and warmer, the risk of altitude sickness may be lessened a lot. Secondly, as a town, the facilities of hotels in Tingri may be better than other places near to Mount Everest. As long as you sleep well, you can feel your oats from soup to nuts.
More importantly, it just takes some time to drive to EBC, at the same time, the scenery along the road can make you be on the top of the world. Setting out at 4 or 5 PM in the next day morning, you will not spend much time in the drive to EBC. Certainly, wanting to view the Mount Everest at sunrise, you had better depart earlier. In fact, an increase number of people are fond of standing at Gawula Pass taking photos of Mount Everest. If you are a shutterbug, joining in Everest photographic tour is a perfect option.
In so far as the hotels in Tingri, hotels or guesthouses are quite basic, not comparable with those in Shigatse or Lhasa. There are two recommended hotels - Tingri Everest Shanghai Hotel and Tingri Bebar Hotel which have good supporting facilities. When traveling in remote parts of the world one can’t expect city or urban services, but the room is clean and equipped with a western toilet, two beds, no heating in the rooms but electric blankets will be provided. Although the accommodation is not good even bad, when viewing the Mount Everest, you will think the journey is worth it.
Staying in Tashi Dzom
Tashi Dzom is an alternative place to stay in the Everest region, located between Everest Base Camp and Tingri, at the lowest altitude in the nearby places of EBC. If you decide to stay overnight there, in general, the altitude sickness may not hit you. And getting to EBC from Tashi Dzom, you will spend less time driving.
There are some simple Tibetan style guesthouses. The recommended hotel is Cho Mo Lang Ma Ben Ba Guest House, which is also very poorly accommodated inside. Expect to sleep 2-4 to a room in very basic, yet clean, accommodation and use communal squat toilets as the compromise for the experience. Duvets are provided but it is recommended that you bring your own sleeping bag along for the added warmth. Hint, ensure that there is sufficient airflow into the room at night (keep the door slightly ajar) to avoid depletion of the oxygen.
Staying in Rongbuk Monastery
Rongbuk monastery is just 4 Kilometers away from EBC, lies near the base of the north side of Mount Everest at 4,980 meters above sea level, staying here is quite challenging but exciting. Imagine that you have just gotten up, while brushing your teeth, glance up the best view of Mount Everest, what such a soul-stirring experience it is. Have your cake and eat it too. That is why so many travelers are most willing to chance their arm.
Rongbuk Everest Hotel
The Rongbuk Everest Hotel may rank the top for it is at least a “hotel”. It is the highest hotel in the world located 50m north of Rongbuk Monastery. The Hotel runs from April to late October every year. There are double rooms and some triple rooms in the hotel, but the price of the hotel is very high, which can be as much as 480RMB per night per room, due to its unique location.
As for the Tent Guest House, they are set up by local Tibetans providing beds and hot water for the tourists. They are much cheaper and usually a tent can be shared by over ten people. These tent guest houses are not available all year round. The Rongbuk Monastery Guesthouse is 8km away from EBC. And the monastery guesthouses are also very poorly accommodated inside, but the rooms are relatively clean and there is even a small restaurant serving noodles, milk and some other food.
Staying in Everest Base Camp
The last place you can choose to stay in the area is at the Tent Guest House, where camping site of EBC lies. It is the closest place to the Mount Everest where you can sleep. There are several traditional yak wool tents, without doubt, all are basic, but have enough blankets and offer boiled drinks and simple Tibetan and Western food. These tents are just available from late April to early October, owing to its weather and climate. Those who have already visited Everest Base Camp must know how cold here is.
Tent Guest House at Everest Base Camp
Staying at Everest Base Camp is certainly golden opportunity to appreciate the snow-capped and mighty Mount Everest at close range. Owing to at a high altitude of 5200 meters above sea level, it is quite challenging to sleep at these tent houses, the air is too thin to result in the risk of altitude sickness. Therefore, tourists must keep them warm to prevent altitude sickness.
Now, are you clear about the best hotel in EBC? I hope you are. Of course, I can’t deny that the Rongbuk Everest Hotel is the best hotel in EBC, but the Tent Guest House and Rongbuk Monastery Guesthouse are also good choices for lodging in EBC. Although they are poorly accommodated, they are warm and cheap and they can make you safe and comfortable. Those who are planning to visit EBC can choose the hotel on the basis of their own needs.
Useful Tips for Staying in Everest Area
1. Clothing: due to high altitude, warm clothes are extremely important, including down jacket, cotton wadded jacket, wool hat, woolen glove, snow boots and cotton and woolen socks and so on.
2. Food: even if the hotels and guest houses can provide you with food, bringing some food to rejuvenate and replenish yourself is necessary, such as chocolate, sugar.
3. First-aid: Keep antiseptic creams, ointments, syrups, and Band-Aids or something else that you need.
4. Documents and Tickets: Tibet Travel Permit is necessary. Of course, all related documents and tickets can be applied by Tibet travel agency that you contact. In particular, the ticket of EBC should be bought in Tingri, do not forget.
More Mount Everest Base Camp Travel Guide
- Everest Base Camp Nepal vs Everest Base Camp Tibet
- Mount Everest History and Its Famous Explorers
- The Difference of Mt. Everest in Nepal and Tibet
- Kathmandu to EBC Distance: how far and how to get to EBC in Nepal and Tibet from Kathmandu
- How Many Base Camps on Everest in Both Sides of Tibet and Nepal
Everest Base Camp Tour Guide
- Best Time to Travel to Everest Base Camp
- When is the Best Time to Enjoy EBC Trek in Nepal
- The Best Hotel at Everest Base Camp (EBC)
- Guide to Everest Base Camp Tour in Winter
- How to Get to Everest Base Camp (EBC) from Nepal?
- How to Get to Everest Base Camp (EBC) from Lhasa?
- What Documents Do I Need for Everest Base Camp Tour in Tibet and Nepal?
Everest Trekking Guide
- What to Pack for Everest Base Camp Trek
- Tingri to Everest Base Camp Trekking
- Everest Trek: Trekking Routes along The Gama Valley
- Everest Base Camp Trekking Maps in Tibet
- Ultimate Packing List for EBC Trek in Tibet
- Best Trek in Nepal: Everest Base Camp Trek vs. Annapurna Circuit Trek
- Top 2 EBC Trekking Routes in Tibet
- EBC Trek in Tibet vs. EBC Trek in Nepal
Recommended Everest Base Camp Tour Packages
7 Days Lhasa to Kathmandu Overland Small Group Tour
Tour Route: Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - Everest Base Camp - Kathmandu
From USD950 p.p
8 Days Lhasa to Everest Base Camp Small Group Tour
Tour Route:Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - Everest Base Camp - Lhasa
From USD850 p.p
10 Days Lhasa to Everest Base Camp and Namtso Lake Small Group Tour
Tour Route:Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - Mt. Everest - Namtso - Lhasa
From USD1180 p.p