Himalaya Travels across Five Countries
As the frontier of China, Nepal, Bhutan, India and Pakistan, the Himalaya is located in the south Asia, southwest to China, north to Nepal and Bhutan, northeast to India and Pakistan. Since the highest mountain ranges on the Earth is 2400 kilometers long from south in India to the east in Tibet, tourists come to these countries can see the Himalayas in different angles.
Himalayas in China
Mount Everest, the highest peak of the Himalayas, is one of the top destinations for tourists traveling to Tibet. Southern to Shigatse, the second largest city in Tibet, the north face of Mount Everest is a popular tourist attraction in Tibet. At the 5200 metres above the sea level on the north side of Mount Everest, there is the Everest Base Camp for mountain climbers and ordinary tourists. It is the highest point that general travelers can reach to see the peak of Mt.Everest. There are some tent hotels run by the local Tibetans. Tourists can stay overnight at the Everest Base Camp to see the amazing sunset and sunrise from the top of the world. 8km to the EBC is the Rongbuk Monastery, which is the highest monastery in the world.
Visit Everest Base Camp in Tibet, China
Most Recommended Tibet Everest Tour Itinerary
The most classic trip to Everest Base Camp tour from Lhasa takes 8 days, with 3 days in Lhasa city, 1 day in Shigatse, 2 days in the EBC and 2day back to Lhasa from the EBC.
It is recommended to take join-in group tour to visit the Everest Base Camp in Tibet, during which you can meet the like-minded travelers from all over the world, and share the cost of transportation and accommodation with each other. It is really the cheapest way to go.
The trip to Everest Base Camp can also be a highlight of a Lhasa-Kathmandu overland trip. If you have enough time, you can also extend your Everest Base Camp trip to the Mount Kailash.
1. Everest Base Camp can be only accessed by overland from Lhasa. And to get to Lhasa, Tibet, it is convenient for tourists to come from mainland China by air, by train and by overland.
2. To Visit Everest Base Camp in Tibet, you need to apply for Tibet Travel Permit, as well as the Aliens’ Travel Permit for entering Tibet and go further to the remote area in the Himalaya regions.
3. The best time to visit Everest Base Camp in Tibet is from April to May and September to October. Even in summer, the temperature is quite low at night, so you need to bring some warm clothes with you whenever you visit EBC.
Himalayas in Nepal
Nepal is one of the best destinations to enjoy an outdoor trekking at the southern side of Mount Everest in the Himalayas. There are various kinds of trekking routes in the Himalaya Region in Nepal, which cater the needs of various kinds of trekkers and mountaineers. Travelers can see the Mount Everest with surrounding peaks, such as Lhotse, Makalu, Cho-Oyu and Ama Dablam along Himalayas.
Everest Base Camp Trek in Nepal
Most Recommended Nepal Everest Tour Itinerary
The classic Everest Base Camp trek in Nepal usually takes about 17 days from Kathmandu. To get to the Everest Base Camp in Nepal, tourists should take a flight to Lukla from Kathmandu first, and then move on to Namche Bazaar and start the trekking to the Everest Base Camp from 3440 metres to 5210 metres. On the way from Gorak Shep to Kala Pattar, you may have the chance to get the best view of Mount Everest.
If your time is limited, you can shorten your trip to 10 days without trekking to the Everest Base Camp. It doesn’t mean that you miss the chance to see the amazing Himalayas. In fact, during the 10 days Nepal trekking tour, you are also able to enjoy the panoramic view of Mount Everest.
Sample Route for Nepal Travel
Kathmandu - Lukla-Phakding - Namche Bazaar - Khumjung - Tengboche - Monjo - Kathmandu
1. Nepal is a paradise for mountain climbers and trekkers from all over the world. Besides the popular Everest Base Camp trek at the southern side of Mount Everest, there are more trekking routes, such as the Annapurna Circuit treks, Manaslu Circuit Trek and so on.
2. March, April and May are good seasons for trekking in Nepal for its fine weather with clear skies and warmer temperatures. To have a better view of the world highest mountain peaks of the Himalayas, you can go to trek in Nepal from late September to November, which is said to be the best time to trek to EBC in Nepal. Please try to avoid the monsoon season from June to August because the heavy moisture and clouds with much rainfall will make your trekking journey more difficult and unpleasant.
Himalayas in Bhutan
Bhutan, located at the eastern end of the Himalayas between China and India, is known as the Himalayan Kingdom. The tiny county is an undiscovered paradise with lots of mystic and spiritual sites that are unexplored by normal tourists.
Jhomolhari Trek in Bhutan
Most Recommended Bhutan Tour Itinerary
As the paradise for mountain hiking, Bhutan offers various kinds of trekking routes in the Himalayas Region. Among them, the most popular route is the Jhomolhari Trek. It generally takes around 13 days to explore the most amazing trekking areas in the Himalayan mountain regions.
Sample Route for Bhutan Travel
Paro - Sharna Zampa - Thangthangka - Jangothang - Lingzhi - Shodu - Barshong - Dolam Kencho - Dodina - Thimphu - Paro
For those who are short in time, a Himalayan trekking tour around one week is also available. Thimphu, Punakha and Paro are the most popular destinations in Bhutan that you can enjoy the great view of the Himalayas, experience the classic must-sees and indulged in the heart of Bhutanese culture.
1. Unlike its neighbors, Bhutan remains relatively unexplored. Overseas travelers will be charged $250 a day by the local government during their stay in Bhutan.
2. You need to apply for a visa through an authorized travel agency that will offer you the travel services during your holidays in Bhutan before your arrival.
3. The best time to visit the Himalayas in Bhutan is from March to May and from September to November with the finest weather for mountain hiking, horse-riding, white water rafting and some other outdoor activities.
Himalayas in India
Tibet and Nepal are always the first places you may think about while talking about visiting the Himalayas. However, there are also some places that you can enjoy different views of the Himalayan Mountains in India, especially the northern India that at the western and southern side of the Himalayas. Kinnaur is an important Buddhist centre in Himanchal, the lesser Himalaya. There are many ancient monasteries that build in the 11th century, such as the Kee Monastery, Dhankar Monastery and Tabo Monastery. Nowadays, in Kunnaur, the west region of the Himalayas, there are still some wooden carved temples that you can hardly see in Tibet.
Visit Kinnaur, an important Buddhist centre in Himanchal
Most Recommended India Tour Itinerary
The big circle route around Himanchal usually takes about 15 days. During this trip in the Himalaya regions in India, you will not only enjoy the stunning natural beauty of the mountain area, but also experience the unique local culture here.
Sample Route for India Travel
New Delhi – Shimla – Rampur – Sarahan – Sangla – Kalpa – Nako – Tabo – Dhankar – Kaza – Manali – Delhi
The best time to visit the Himalayas is from March to May in spring and from September to November in Autumn. It is suggested to avoid trekking the Himalayas in the monsoon seasons in summer.
Himalayas in Pakistan
Every section of the Himalayas has its own charm in a way. Compared with the Himalayas in Tibet, Nepal and India, the Pakistani Himalayas may be less crowded. At the southern side of the Himalayas, Pakistan is the home of some of the highest peaks of Himalayan mountains over 8000 metres. Traveling along the Karakoram Highway is a good way to enjoy the marvelous landscape of the Himalayas, the Karakoram and the Hindukush between Kashgar of Xinjiang, China and Islamabad, Pakistan. You can also hike across a glacier in the Pakistan Himalayas in Passu on the north Pakistan to explore the Himalayas in a special way. A trip to the Deosai plains national park will take you to the west of the Himalaya range to see the wildlife in the northeastern Pakistan.
Karakoram Mountain in Pakistan
You need to apply for the Pakistani visa on your home country before you go. It is convenient to take publish transportation to travel around Pakistan, such as by bus, by mini bus and by train. For shorter distances, tourists can also take a rickshaws or taxi. Generally speaking, from May to October is the best time to visit Pakistan for it is relatively dry and warm.