Climate and Temperature of Everest Base Camp
The climate and weather of Everest Base Camp is always at extremes. The temperatures are always below the freezing point. The hurricane winds and chill winds are the harshest feature faced by the climbers. The average temperature is -17 degree Celsius which is considered the coldest during the year mostly from mid-December to January. During spring months the temperature warms up rapidly but the nights remains still cold and chilly. There is a short window to climb mountain in the month of May and temperature at this time ranges between -15℃ to -26℃. We can say that the temperature is deceiving in nature. The best time to visit EBC in Tibet is April to May and September to Oct, as it’s not that cold and the visibly is high to see the peak clearly.
Plan a visit to Everest Base Camp in September
Best Time to Visit Mount Everest, Tibet
Mount Everest is the highest mountain in the world. It is 8844.43m above the sea level. In Nepal it is called as sagarmantha and in Tibet is known as chomolungma. It is situated in the Mahalangur mountain range in Nepal and Tibet. Every year Mount Everest attracts many tourists from all around the world. Many travellers visit Everest Base Camp for sightseeing and some trek lovers visits its southern ridge in Nepal and some opt to climb the summit from standard route and others from north in Tibet.
Appreciate the stunning sunrise over Mount Everest
With an altitude of 5200m, Everest Base Camp is generally the highest place common travelers can go. And right because of its extremely high altitude, climate and temperature of Everest Base Camp (on Tibet’s side) is quite different from that of other places and regions.
Due to the rather high altitude, Mount Everest is covered by snow all year round and the climate here on the mountain is quite harsh. There are lots of large glaciers formed in the valley with the most famous one being the Rongbuk Glacier consisting of eastern, western and middle Rongbuk glaciers. The most distinctive feature of the climate of EBC may be the extremely big temperature difference in the daytime and at night. And in different seasons and time, the climate and temperature also vary. In winter, it can be snowy in EBC and you are never recommended to travel to EBC at that time. During July and August, it’s a little bit rainy and the road condition can be very bad, so you are not recommended to travel to EBC during that period either.
The best time to travel to EBC is from early March to the end of October except July and August. During this time, the climate is relative good and the temperature is comparatively mild. But you should remember that, although in the daytime, with the sunshine, it can be warm at EBC with a possible temperature of around 10℃, it is quite cold at night which is sure to be below 0℃ even in summer.
Here is the best time to visit the EBC for different travellers:
1. If visiting Everest Base Camp is your purpose then you must visit in mid-April, May, early June, Sep and October. As spring offers less rain and good weather. The visibility is good and the mountain peak is clearly visible. Similarly in autumn the weather is comfortable and there is lesser crowds.
2. Your desire is to climb the mountain then you must visit in late April and early June. Winter in Mt. Everest lasts somewhere between October and April. Spring and fall are suitable for climbing. During this time a lot of climbers make their way to the top by joining organized expedition groups.
3. Mid of September to next May except January and February are considered the best time to trek from old Tingri to Everest Base Camp. During this time the weather is stable with mild and warm days.
4. If you are a budget traveller and want to travel in comparatively cheaper prices then you must join a small group and must travel during Nov. to mid-February. Generally the cheapest months are December, January and February as travel agencies, hotels etc. offers huge discount.
5. If you are a curious trekker and want to explore places nearby the Mount Everest then October and November are the best months and also mid-April to early May are considered the best. Many companies offer treks during these months.
What to Prepare for EBC Tour
Travel documents required for EBC Tour are as follows:
1. Tibet Entry Travel Permit: This permit is issued by the Tibet Tourism Bureau. You need to apply for this permit one month prior to your arrival in Tibet as this permit takes some time to get ready and also you need to produce the original copy of this permit at Airport before you board the flight.
2. Alien's Travel Permit: This permit can be applied after you reach Lhasa,it consumes only several hours to obtain it. This permit is issued by Public security bureau, police. The travellers except of China,must possess this permit.
3. Mountaineers permit: This permit is issued by mountaineering association of Tibet. This licence is a must for the climbers.
Pack carefully as it will be cold there, here is a brief checklist of things to be packed.
Tibet Travel Documents
First of all take your passport and visa with other necessary Tibet travel permits and required documents.
1. There is sudden Temperature change in Lhasa as its been noticed that in the month of July temperature can be 30° c in the daytime and at night it may fall to 10°c whereas 4-5°c is the highest temperature in northern Tibet. It snows in July and August also. So it is really necessary to take the best woollen clothes along. It’s better to take woollen sweaters, warm wind proof shoes and other warm clothes that can be easy to wear and remove according to one’s comfortability.
2. Some pairs of cotton and woollen socks, hand gloves, down jacket, some full and half T-shirts, you can take one or two over coats.
3. It’s necessary to include the waterproof clothing and raingears.
4. If you are planning to go beyond Shigatse then you must keep at least one wind breaker jacket.
5. 4-5 pairs of underwear, lightweight wool shirts with long sleeves.
1. Strong and durable pair of shoes as you may have to walk some distance in the cold and puddled path.
2. Shoes must be of perfect fit and should be suitable for cold weathers. You must keep a pair of tough sandals and slippers for night.
1. Take a large backpack, small bag and a waist bag is enough. Bigger backpack will be a wise option as it will be usable to keep clothes and will be easy to carry as the path is not that smooth to walk.
2. Small bag will be usable to carry the things of daily use as hand towel, toiletries etc.
3. Waist bag will be usable to carry some small and important things.
1. Consult your doctor and do carry the prescribed medicines, if you take any on regular basis.
2. Take medicine for cold, insect bite, headache, stomach ache, diarrhoea.
3. Bring adequate amount of cleaning solution for your contact lenses as you may not find that easily in Lhasa.
4. You must keep some pills of Diamox, a medicine that prevents the altitude sickness.
Products for Daily Use
1. Tooth paste, tooth brush, soap, oil, shampoo, small hand towel, shaving kit, deodorant etc.
2. Though the solar radiations are strong in Tibet, it is necessary to keep sunscreen with minimum SPF 35, lip balms, cold cream, moisturiser, uv protection branded sunglasses, sun hat, ear buds, nail clippers etc. Do not expose your skin in the sun as rays are harsh there and may cause you sun burn.
Cash and Credit Cards
1. Bring cash in different denominations and try to keep enough cash with you as when you will be away from Lhasa then in remote areas your hard money will help you.
2. Credit cards are usable only in the big hotels and restaurants.
1. You need to take the necessary equipment with you because, in remote areas availability of things is rare. Take trekking equipment including sleeping bags, sleeping mats, stoves, cookware, water filter, camp bathroom, tents and tarps, first aid kits for emergency, expedition food, multi tools, Swiss knife, compass, maps etc.
2. But, if you r going through an agency then you need to worry about all these things as they will provide you.
Food and Drinks
1. Take some packed ready to eat food, dry fruits, chocolate bars, protein bars, etc.
2. Take good quality vitamin supplements as vegetables and fruits will not be available readily.
3. Take water purification equipment like hand pump filters.
4. Carry thermoses with you to carry hot water, tea or coffee.
Other Useful Notions
1. Carry oxygen bag with you as in high altitudes there is scarcity of oxygen and to avoid anoxic attack you must be well equipped with the oxygen bags. These are readily available in the Tibetan hospitals and hotels.
2. You can take camera with extra batteries and films.
3. Take small torch with extra batteries.
4. Sewing kit, lighter and some candles would be helpful.
Recommended Most Popular Routes to EBC
The most popular route to Everest Base camp is through Lhasa, as from here the north base camp is only 607.8km away and to reach further to Mt. Everest one has to travel for only 19 kilometres. The other reason is this route is motorable and offers straightforward access to the summit both by road as well as by climbing. The route starts from Tingri which is around 520 kilometres away and around 100 kilometres away from EBC. Along the way one got to see a number of tourist places like Gyantse, Karola Glacier, Yamdrotso Lake, Shigatse, etc. The route is full of wondrous scenic beauty and a feeling of being close to the nature.
Accommodation at Everest Base Camp
Luckily, you don’t need to worry too much about climate and temperature in EBC during your Everest Base Camp Tour, for there are tents, guest houses and even a hotel. Living in these hotels is much more comfortable and warmer than camping outside by yourself at night. And you just need to take enough clothes for both during the day and the night. You can take some long sleeve shirts for the daytime below EBC and you may need to wear some down-filled clothes after you are at EBC even in summer. (Click to find the best hotel in EBC)
Accommodation at Everest Base Camp
Cultural Tips: North EBC in Tibet VS South EBC in Nepal
There is a huge varying geographical feature between north EBC and south EBC. Though the landscapes of Tibet are barren but they still looks beautiful, at so much of altitude it feels like you are on the top of the world with white and dense clouds crowning your head and enormous mountain range carpets below your feet.
Whereas in Nepal’s side the there is more diversity to flora and fauna. You can observe huge dramatic altitude change while touring EBC in Nepal as you cross through alpine zone, sub alpine zone and forested temperature zone. Blue pines, birch, firs, Himalayan black bear, musk deer, etc. offers a palpable sense of biodiversity in Nepal along with the awe inspiring mountains like Mount Everest, Lhotse, Makalu, Nuptse, khumbila etc.
While in Tibet’s side, on the way there are three best places to photograph the highest peak Mt. Everest those are Gawu la pass, Rongbuk Monastery and EBC itself. The best time to visit EBC in Tibet April to May and September to Oct. as it’s not that cold and the visibly is high to see the peak clearly. The temperature is usually 4-5 degree Celsius and maximum up to 10-12 degree Celsius. The weather is stable with mild and warm climate.
More Mount Everest Base Camp Travel Guide
- Everest Base Camp Nepal vs Everest Base Camp Tibet
- Mount Everest History and Its Famous Explorers
- The Difference of Mt. Everest in Nepal and Tibet
- Kathmandu to EBC Distance: how far and how to get to EBC in Nepal and Tibet from Kathmandu
- How Many Base Camps on Everest in Both Sides of Tibet and Nepal
Everest Base Camp Tour Guide
- Best Time to Travel to Everest Base Camp
- When is the Best Time to Enjoy EBC Trek in Nepal
- The Best Hotel at Everest Base Camp (EBC)
- Guide to Everest Base Camp Tour in Winter
- How to Get to Everest Base Camp (EBC) from Nepal?
- How to Get to Everest Base Camp (EBC) from Lhasa?
- What Documents Do I Need for Everest Base Camp Tour in Tibet and Nepal?
Everest Trekking Guide
- What to Pack for Everest Base Camp Trek
- Tingri to Everest Base Camp Trekking
- Everest Trek: Trekking Routes along The Gama Valley
- Everest Base Camp Trekking Maps in Tibet
- Ultimate Packing List for EBC Trek in Tibet
- Best Trek in Nepal: Everest Base Camp Trek vs. Annapurna Circuit Trek
- Top 2 EBC Trekking Routes in Tibet
- EBC Trek in Tibet vs. EBC Trek in Nepal
Recommended Everest Base Camp Tour Packages
7 Days Lhasa to Kathmandu Overland Small Group Tour
Tour Route: Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - Everest Base Camp - Kathmandu
From USD950 p.p
8 Days Lhasa to Everest Base Camp Small Group Tour
Tour Route:Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - Everest Base Camp - Lhasa
From USD850 p.p
10 Days Lhasa to Everest Base Camp and Namtso Lake Small Group Tour
Tour Route:Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - Mt. Everest - Namtso - Lhasa
From USD1180 p.p