8 Days Classic Tibet Tour from Xining by Train
(TTT001 ) Lhasa-Gyantse-Shigatse-Lake Namtso
Escorted by private guide and vehicle; leave 365 days a year!
Easy - suitable for all level of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
Trip Level Guide:
- Easy - suitable for all level of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
- Moderate - suitable for ones with average level fitness, family with kids bigger than 12 yrs.
- Moderate to Strenous - suitable for ones physically fit; have experiences of high altitude trek.
- Strenuous: suitable for adventures and individual with physically fit and healthy.
Start the Tibet Train Journey from Xining, , which is 1956 kilometers away from Lhasa, you can experience the magical journey of Qinghai-Tibet Railway in the shortest time and distance by only taking 24 hours. After arriving in holy Lhasa, you will visit some most popular attractions and cities in Tibet, including Namtso lake, Lhasa, Gyantse, and Shigatse.
At a GlanceDay 1
Arrive in XiningDay 2
Scenery View of Tibet Railway, Arrive in Lhasa at about 16:00Day 3
Lhasa Sightseeing: Potala Palace,Norbulingka Palace,Jokhang TempleDay 4
Lhasa Sightseeing: Drepung Monastery, Sera Monastery (B)Day 5
Lhasa/Namtso Lake (220km,4 hours driving, asphalt road in good condition)Day 6
Namtso,Dazhuka,Shigatse (385km, 8-9hours driving)Day 7
Shigatse-Gyantse-Lhasa(365km, 6-8 hours driving)Day 8
Depart from Lhasa airport (B)
Day to Day Itinerary
Day 1: Arrive in Xining
You will be welcome by tour guide in Xining airport, then transfer to train station to board the train to Tibet. If you arrive in Xining one day earlier and time allows, you can pay a visit to one of the six most important monasteries in Tibet, Kumbum Monastery which is near Xining city.
Stay overnight in Tibet Train
Day 2: Scenery View of Tibet Railway, Arrive in Lhasa at about 16:00
After one night stay in the train, today, You will witness the most beautiful scenery of Qinghai-Tibet Railway. The land of snows, the desert, the grassland, the ice mountains, the lakes will continually appear and strongly attract your heart. You will arrive in Lhasa at about 16:00 and your tour guide will hold a board with your name at the exit of the train station to welcome you. Transfer to your reserved hotel by a private car.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 3: Lhasa Sightseeing: Potala Palace,Norbulingka Palace,Jokhang Temple
In the morning, visit the famous Potala palace and explore the grandest of this chapel. You will appreciate its audience halls, the jeweled and Golden burial chortens(stupa Tombs) of past Dalai Lamas, and tremendous number of Buddhist frescoes, thangkas, combinations of mandala etc. Tibet Museum is an important window to introduce the glorious culture of Tibet, and as a free Museum in Lhasa, you should not miss.
Then you will visit the Tibet Museum and its nearby Norbulingka Palace. Norbulingka means 'Treasure Park', covers an area of around 360000 sq. m. and is considered to be the biggest manmade garden in Tibet. It is called summer palace because after the 7th Lama, Dalai Lamas used to visit here during summer to hold religious and government related activities.
Day 4: Lhasa Sightseeing: Drepung Monastery, Sera Monastery (B)
Visit two important monasteries in Lhasa, the Drepung and the Sera. Drepung monastery is situated at the foothill of a mountain and was founded by Jamyang Choeje in 1416. It was once home to 10000 monks and Ganden podrang in Drepung is famous as it was the government centre and later moved to the famous Potala palace during fifth dalai lama. Then you will visit the Carpet Factory, where you can see how the world-famous Tibetan carpets are made. After lunch, continue to visit the Sera Monastery, which was founded in 1419 by Tsongkapa's disciple Jamchen Choeje. The most attractive is that Monks debiting held in the courtyard at around 4 pm.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 5: Lhasa/Namtso Lake (220km,4 hours driving, asphalt road in good condition)
In the morning around 08:00am, our guide and driver pick you up from your hotel, and then leave Lhasa to Namtso Lake. Nyenchen Thanglha snow mountain ranges appear in front of you all the way. In summer (May to August), the sheepherders and their family move to grassland and set up their tents, you could see green grassland, groups of sheep and yaks, nomad tents by the road. Namtso Lake is the Heavenly lake which is one of the three holy lakes of Tibet and also the highest salt lake. You can do a very relaxing trekking around the lake side and Tashi Island. Spending a night at lake shore is fantastic. The night sky is so clean that you could see all the stars twinkling on the sky, which are so close to you as if you could stretch your hands to pick them. Namtso lake is actually the lake in the sky, and it is about 5000m high lies on the highest plateau in the world.
Stay overnight at Lake Shore Tent Guest House, dorm bed
Day 6: Namtso,Dazhuka,Shigatse (385km, 8-9hours driving)
Enjoy the clear morning at the lake shore, and you can trek along the lake shore to Tashi Dor Island to explore the meditation caves. After that, continue to Shigatse, the second biggest city in Tibet, you will go through a long distance of rough road between Yanpanchen and Dazhuka, and finally get to Shigatse in the late afternoon.
Stay overnight in Shigatse
Day 7: Shigatse-Gyantse-Lhasa(365km, 6-8 hours driving)
In the morning, you will visit the famous Tashi Lhunpo monastery where you can see the well preserved largest statue of Jampa(future god) in the world. The monastery itself is abiding place for the successive Penchen Lamas. Then drive to Gyantse to visit Pelkor Monastery in Gyanse, which is a unique complex of kumbum and temple. Then drive towards Lhasa passing through Manla Lake, Yamdrotso Lake and Karola Glacier.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 8: Depart from Lhasa airport (B)
Transfer to Lhasa airport by private car, end the service.
- Tibet travel permit and all other necessary permits to Tibet;
- All entrance ticket fees for all tourist sites listed in the itinerary;
- Personal knowledgeable English-speaking Tibetan local tour guide;
- Personal comfortable, clean and safe vehicle with reliable Tibetan local driver; vehicle ranging from 4WD land cruiser to minibus depending on your group size;
- All lodging listed in the itinerary; it’s your decision about the accommodation class: luxury 5-star international hotel, comfortable 4-star hotel, economic 3-star hotel or budget hostel, guesthouse or tent. Please tell us your accommodation preference when submitting the enquiry; we will arrange the best-value hotels for you.
- Domestic flight/train tickets listed in the itinerary;
- All meals listed in the above itinerary;
- Tourist accident/casualty insurance;
- First aid kit;
- International flight to and out of China;
- Chinese visa (Note: we could help you with the Chinese visa application, like providing the invitation letter, presenting the hotel or domestic flight reservation copies, etc that you may need. )
- Domestic flight/train not listed in the itinerary. (We can provide you the domestic flight/train ticket booking service at the BEST discount price; please contact us our travel experts for the details.)
- Meals not specified in the itinerary; usually it costs about USD3-15 per person for one meal in TAR (Tibet Autonomous Region).
- Tips and gratitude to tour guide and driver;
- Personal expenses, like laundry, phone call, snacks, soft drinks (please do the best to avoid the alcoholic beverages during your Tibet trip), optional tour activities, etc.
Contact us for your dream trip now !Enquire Now
You May Also Like
14 Days Kathmandu-Lhasa-Beijing Tour by Train
15 Days China, Tibet and Nepal Tour by Train
10 Days Xining and Tibet Natural Scenery Tour by Train
Xining-Qinghai Lake-Lhasa-Namtso-Shigatse-Mt.Everest Tour
Most Frequently Asked Questions from our Clients
Get Started - 8 Days Classic Tibet Tour from Xining by Train