12 Days Tibet Tour from Hongkong by train
(CTT017) Hongkong- Chengdu-Lhasa-Gyantse-Shigatse-Everest Base Camp-Lhasa
Escorted by private guide and vehicle; leave 365 days a year!
Easy - suitable for all level of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
Trip Level Guide:
- Easy - suitable for all level of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
- Moderate - suitable for ones with average level fitness, family with kids bigger than 12 yrs.
- Moderate to Strenous - suitable for ones physically fit; have experiences of high altitude trek.
- Strenuous: suitable for adventures and individual with physically fit and healthy.
Fly from Hongkong to Chengdu to see the lovely Giant Pandas, enjoy the stunning scenry along the world's highest railway by taking a train to Lhasa, explore the holy land Tibet by visiting its monasteries, holy lakes and mountains, then appreciate the snow-covered world's highest mountain.
At a GlanceDay 1
Arrive in ChengduDay 2
Tour some major attractions in ChengduDay 3-4
Enjoy the scenery along Qinghai-Tibet TrainDay 5
Acclimatization to the plateauDay 6
Tour Potala Place and Johkang Temple, Barkhor StreetDay 7
Tour Drepung and Sera MonasteryDay 8
visit Gampala pass, Yamdrok Lake,Karola Glacier, Kumbum MonasteryDay 9
Shigatse(3900m) to Everest Base Camp(5200) (B) via lhatse,Gyatso Pass,shegarDay 10
Everest Base Camp (5200m) return to Shigatse (3900m) Rongbuk monasteryDay 11
Shigatse(3900) to Lhasa(3650m) (B): Tashilhunpo Monastery, Bhamaputra RiverDay 12
depart from Lhasa
Day by Day Itinerary
Day 1: Arrive in Chengdu
Upon arrival in Chengdu airport, you will be transferred to your hotel in Chengdu. The rest of the day is for relaxation and you may explore the surroundings .
Stay overnight in Chengdu
Day 2: Tour some major attractions in Chengdu
In the morning, drive for about half an hour to Chengdu Panda Breeding and Research Center, the home to giant pandas, where you will catch pandas' feeding time. They are at their most active, both Adults and Babies. There's a wealth of information and a panda museum in this 230-hectare park 10 km (6 miles) north of Chengdu.
In the afternoon, we are about to head back to downtown Chengdu to visit Broad and Narrow Alley where you can have a glimpse of folk culture of Chengdu and taste the traditional delicacy in there. After dinner, we will board the train bound for Lhasa.
Stay in the train
Day 3-4: Enjoy the scenery along Qinghai-Tibet Train
It is quite a long journey of taking a train from Chengdu to Lhasa. It will take 44 hours, two days and two nights in the Train. On the first day you will pass through two important provincial capital cities in northwest China, Lanzhou and Xining which is known as the beginning of Qinghai-Tibet Railway. Travelling along the rail line, you could see the scenery of countryside and cities in northwest China. The last stop for today is Xining, where you will arrive in there about 14:16. Overall, along the long train route, tourists can enjoy the spectacular land of snows, boundless desert, vast grassland, grand ice mountains, beautiful lakes.
Stay in the train
Day 5: Acclimatization to the plateau
When you arrive in Lhasa either by train, your guide will greet you and take you to your hotel. Tourists may view the Yarlung Tsangpo River/ Bhamaputra river (the Longest and largest river in tibet) and Lhasa river on their way to Lhasa. After arriving in Lhasa ,you can take a rest and get acclimatized to high altitude.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 6: Tour Potala Place and Johkang Temple, Barkhor Street
Today's tour will first bring you to the Potala Palace which is the winter palace of the Dalai lama.It was put to use since the 7th Century by the 33rd great king of Tibet. The most valuable collections of Potala Palace are the gilded burial stupas of former Dalai Lamas and meditation Cave of the 33rd great king of Tibet.
Then after lunch, tourists head to Jokhang temple which was founded by the 33rd great king of Tibet in the 7th century, in order to promote the Buddhist religion.Inside you can see the statue of Buddha Sakyamuni at the age of twelve ,perhaps the only most venerated object in Tibetan Buddhism. Around the temple Barkhor street where you can kora (a religious circle of a building or mountain) with pilgrims and locals,in the meantime you can buy souvenirs.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 7: Tour Drepung and Sera Monastery
In the morning ,you are going to visit Drepung monastery which is one of the “ three great ” Gelug monasteries of Tibet, founded in 1416 by Jamyang choge, one of the Tsongkhapa’s main disciples. Ganden palace used to be Dalai lama’s palace in the Drepung before he moved to the Potala palace.
In the Afternoon, Tourists will visit Sera Monastery which is another one of the “great three” Gelug monasteries of Tibet, founded in 1419 by Jamchen Chojey, one of the Tsongkhapa’s main disciples. The highlights of visiting Sera Monastery is the Monks debate at around 3 - 5 in the afternoon.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 8: visit Gampala pass, Yamdrok Lake,Karola Glacier, Kumbum Monastery
Drive to Shigatse via Gyantse along highway and view Brahmaputra River at Gampala pass 4900M and visit Yamdrok Lake, a pearl on the snow land and one of the three holy lakes in Tibet and take photos at Karola Glacier, Smira Pass 4330M and visit Gyantse Kumbum, worshipped by three major Tibetan Buddhism sects and far view of the Gyantse Fortress and view Tibetan countryside through Red River Valley.
Stay overnight in Shitatse
Day 9: Shigatse(3900m) to Everest Base Camp(5200) (B) via lhatse,Gyatso Pass,shegar
We’ll leave Shigatse after getting your Alien’s travel permit, and then drive to Lhatse, it is a small town where you can take lunch. After that, you will drive to Shegar and if the weather is clear enough then on the way down to shegar you will view the Mt, Everest in the distance.
After 4 to 6 hours’ drive, then you will arrive at Rongbuk monastery but on the way, you will pass one of the highest Pass in Tibet (pang la pass height 5050m) from that’s pass you will view the whole five highest pick in the world.
Stay overnight at tent or Rongbuk monastery guest house.
Day 10: Everest Base Camp (5200m) return to Shigatse (3900m) Rongbuk monastery
In the morning, you can see the sunrise over the top of Mt Everest, and have a full view the magnificent Mt. Everest standing like a snow-capped pyramid in front of you at Rongpuk, which is the vantage point for watching Mt. Everest. Then, you can visit Rongphu Monastery which is the highest monastery in the world (5000m) and belongs to Nyingma sect. After that drive back to Shigatse
Stay overnight in Shigatse
Day 11: Shigatse(3900) to Lhasa(3650m) (B): Tashilhunpo Monastery, Bhamaputra River
In the morning, we’ll visit Tashilhunpo Monastery in Shigatse, , the seat of Tibet's second highest incarnation, the Panchen Lama. After that, we are supposed to go back to Lhasa on the friendship Highway. The whole distance is almost 280km and it takes 6 hours along the Yarlung Tsangpo River / Bhamaputra River (the Longest and largest river in Tibet).
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 12: depart from Lhasa
The guide will transfer you to the airport or train station and help you get on board.
- Tibet travel permit and all other necessary permits to Tibet;
- All entrance ticket fees for all tourist sites listed in the itinerary;
- Personal knowledgeable English-speaking Tibetan local tour guide;
- Personal comfortable, clean and safe vehicle with reliable Tibetan local driver; vehicle ranging from 4WD land cruiser to minibus depending on your group size;
- All lodging listed in the itinerary; it’s your decision about the accommodation class: luxury 5-star international hotel, comfortable 4-star hotel, economic 3-star hotel or budget hostel, guesthouse or tent. Please tell us your accommodation preference when submitting the enquiry; we will arrange the best-value hotels for you.
- Domestic flight/train tickets listed in the itinerary;
- All meals listed in the above itinerary;
- Tourist accident/casualty insurance;
- First aid kit;
- International flight to and out of China;
- Chinese visa (Note: we could help you with the Chinese visa application, like providing the invitation letter, presenting the hotel or domestic flight reservation copies, etc that you may need. )
- Domestic flight/train not listed in the itinerary. (We can provide you the domestic flight/train ticket booking service at the BEST discount price; please contact us our travel experts for the details.)
- Meals not specified in the itinerary; usually it costs about USD3-15 per person for one meal in TAR (Tibet Autonomous Region).
- Tips and gratitude to tour guide and driver;
- Personal expenses, like laundry, phone call, snacks, soft drinks (please do the best to avoid the alcoholic beverages during your Tibet trip), optional tour activities, etc.
Contact us for your dream trip now !Enquire Now
You May Also Like
8 Days Classic Tibet Tour from Xining by Train
13 Days Kathmandu-Lhasa-Beijing Tour by Train
Kathmandu-Everest Base Camp-Sakya-Shigatse-Gyantse-Lhasa-Xian-Beijing
15 Days China, Tibet and Nepal Tour by Train
Most Frequently Asked Questions from our Clients
Get Started - 12 Days Tibet Tour from Hongkong by train