10 Days Beijing to Kathmandu tour by Train
Escorted by private guide and vehicle; leave 365 days a year!
Easy - suitable for all levels of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
Trip Level Guide:
- Easy - suitable for all level of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
- Moderate - suitable for ones with average level fitness, family with kids bigger than 12 yrs.
- Moderate to Strenous - suitable for ones physically fit; have experiences of high altitude trek.
- Strenuous: suitable for adventures and individual with physically fit and healthy.
This is one of the most popular itineraries in Tibet and covers all the best that the land can offer. The tour starts from Beijing, and you will take Qinghai-Tibet train to Lhasa from Xi'an. Then tourists will explore the heritage sites like Potala Palace, Jokhang temple and traditional Barkhor street, important Buddhist monasteries like Drepung, Sera and Tashilhunpho monastery. Besides, the overland Tibet tour passes through the beautiful turquoise Yamdrok lake, karo glacier and covers Tashilhunpo monastery. You can enjoy superb scenery of the Everest Base camp and the Rongbuk monastery. Finally cross the Nepal and Tibet border and drive to Kathmandu, where the tour ends.
At a GlanceDay 1
Take Train from Beijing to Xi'anDay 2
Xi'an Tour: Terracotta Warriors and Horses Museum, BanPo Museum and Underground PalaceDay 3
Board the overnight train to Lhasa from Xi’anDay 4
Sightseeing along the railway and arrive in Lhasa in the late afternoonDay 5
Lhasa Sightseeing: Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple, and Barkhor StreetDay 6
Lhasa Sightseeing: Drepung and Sera MonasteryDay 7
Lhasa(3650m) to Shigatse( 3900m)Day 8
Shigatse(3900m) to Everest(5200m) via TingriDay 9
Everest(5200m) to Old Tingri (4300m)Day 10
Old Tingri(4300m) to Kathmandu via Gyirong Port
Day to Day Itinerary
Day 1: Take Train from Beijing to Xi'an
Meet the Guide and other tour members, and board the overnight train to Xi'an
Stay overnight on the train
Day 2: Xi'an Tour: Terracotta Warriors and Horses Museum, BanPo Museum and Underground Palace
After your arrival in Xi'an in the early morning, the guide will get you transfered to hotels. Later, you are about to visit the Eighth Wonder of the World, the Terracotta Warriors and Horses Museum. You will not only be attracted by the life-sized warrior figures and horses, each of which has distinct facial expressions and positions, but also be astonished by various kinds of ancient weapons which reflect the highly advanced technology in weapon-making 2,200 years ago.
Then visit the BanPo Museum, the Underground Palace as well.
Stay overnight in Xi'an
Day 3: Board the overnight train to Lhasa from Xi’an
In the early morning, you will board the famous sky train to Lhasa in Xi’an railway station to start the wonderful journey of exploring the highest train ride in the world. The train journey will take you about 32 hours.
Stay overnight in the train
Day 4: Sightseeing along the railway and arrive in Lhasa in the late afternoon
A full day window sightseeing along Qinghai-Tibet Railway, you will see land of snows, desert, immense grassland, ice mountain, beautiful lakes which will fairly entertaining.
Shortly after your arrival in Lhasa in the late afternoon, you will be warmly received by your tour guide and transferred to your reserved hotel in Lhasa. Have a good rest to acclimatize the high altitude.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 5: Lhasa Sightseeing: Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple, and Barkhor Street
Today's tour will first bring you to the Potala Palace, which is the winter palace of the Dalai lama. It was put to use since the 7th Century by the 33rd great king of Tibet. The most valuable collections of Potala Palace are the gilded burial stupas of former Dalai Lamas and meditation Cave of the 33rd great king of Tibet.
Then after lunch, you will head to Jokhang Temple which was founded by the 33rd great king of Tibet in the 7th century, in order to promote the Buddhist religion. Inside you can see the statue of Buddha Sakyamuni at the age of twelve, perhaps the only most venerated object in Tibetan Buddhism. Around the temple is Barkhor street where you can do kora (a religious circle of a building or mountain) with pilgrims and locals, in the meantime you can buy souvenirs.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 6: Lhasa Sightseeing: Drepung and Sera Monastery
In the morning, you are going to visit Drepung monastery which was one of the “three greet” Gelug monasteries of Tibet and was founded in 1416 by Jamyang choge, one of the Tsongkhapa’s main disciples. Ganden palace is used as Dalai lama’s palace in the Drepung before moving to the Potala palace.
In the afternoon, head to the Sera Monastery which is one of the “great three” Gelug monasteries of Tibet, founded in 1419 by Jamchen chojey, one of the Tsongkhapa’s main disciples. The most popular attraction is the monk debate at around 3:00 – 5:00 in the afternoon.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 7: Lhasa(3650m) to Shigatse( 3900m)
In the morning, drive from Lhasa to Shigatse .On the way, drive over the Gampala pass (4790 m), and you will have a glimpse of Yamdrok-tso (4400m) .The Lake is surrounded by many snow-capped mountains and in the distance you can have spectacular views of Holy Mount Nyenchen Khangsar, (7191m) the highest mountain near Lhasa.
Gyantse was historically Tibet's third largest city (after Lhasa and Shigatse).In Gyantse, we will visit the famous Pelkor Monastery and Gyantse Kumbum.
After one and a half driving, we arrive in Shigatse, which is the second largest city in Tibet. In Shigatse, we’ll visitTashilunpo Monastery, the seat of Tibet's second highest incarnation, the Panchen Lama.
Stay overnight in Shigatse
Day 8: Shigatse(3900m) to Everest(5200m) via Tingri
We’ll leave Shigatse after getting your Alien’s travel permit, and then drive to Lhatse, it is a small town where you can have lunch.After that, you will drive to Shegar and if the weather is clear enough then on the way down to shegar you will view the Mt, Everest in the distance .
After 4 to 6 hours’ drive , then you will arrive at Rongbuk monastery but on the way , you will pass one of the highest Passes in Tibet (pang la pass height 5050m) from that’s pass you will view the whole five highest peaks in the world.
Stay overnight at tent or Rongbuk monastery guest house.
Day 9: Everest(5200m) to Old Tingri (4300m)
In the morning, you can see the sun rise on the top of Mt Everest and have a full view the magnificent Mt. Everest standing like a snow-capped pyramid in front of you at Rongpuk, which is the vantage point for watching Mt. Everest. Then, you can visit Rongphu Monastery which is the highest monastery in the world (5000m) and then drive to Old Tingri where you can enjoy the beauty of whole Himalaya range.
Stay overnight in Tingri.
Day 10: Old Tingri(4300m) to Kathmandu via Gyirong Port
In the early morning, we will drive to border - Gyirong Port. On the way to Gyirong Port, you will pass a Nyalam Tong pass(5,150) where the Friendship Highway connects Kathmandu, Nepal and Lhasa, Tibet crosses at meters elevation.
The road to Gyirong Port is not bad but the altitude and the atmosphere is rabidly changing in front of your eyes. In the afternoon, you will arrive in border - Gyirong Port , and move to Kathmandu.
Our Guide will drop you off at the border bridge.
- Tibet travel permit and all other necessary permits to Tibet;
- All entrance ticket fees for all tourist sites listed in the itinerary;
- Personal knowledgeable English-speaking Tibetan local tour guide;
- Personal comfortable, clean and safe vehicle with reliable Tibetan local driver; vehicle ranging from 4WD land cruiser to minibus depending on your group size;
- All lodging listed in the itinerary; it’s your decision about the accommodation class: luxury 5-star international hotel, comfortable 4-star hotel, economic 3-star hotel or budget hostel, guesthouse or tent. Please tell us your accommodation preference when submitting the enquiry; we will arrange the best-value hotels for you.
- Domestic flight/train tickets listed in the itinerary;
- All meals listed in the above itinerary;
- Tourist accident/casualty insurance;
- First aid kit;
- International flight to and out of China;
- Chinese visa (Note: we could help you with the Chinese visa application, like providing the invitation letter, presenting the hotel or domestic flight reservation copies, etc that you may need. )
- Domestic flight/train not listed in the itinerary. (We can provide you the domestic flight/train ticket booking service at the BEST discount price; please contact us our travel experts for the details.)
- Meals not specified in the itinerary; usually it costs about USD3-15 per person for one meal in TAR (Tibet Autonomous Region).
- Tips and gratitude to tour guide and driver;
- Personal expenses, like laundry, phone call, snacks, soft drinks (please do the best to avoid the alcoholic beverages during your Tibet trip), optional tour activities, etc.
Contact us for your dream trip now !Enquire Now
You May Also Like
8 Days Classic Tibet Tour from Xining by Train
14 Days Kathmandu-Lhasa-Beijing Tour by Train
11 Days Tibet Tour from Hongkong by train
Hongkong- Chengdu-Lhasa-Gyantse-Shigatse-Everest Base Camp-Lhasa
15 Days China, Tibet and Nepal Tour by Train
Most Frequently Asked Questions from our Clients
Get Started - 10 Days Beijing to Kathmandu tour by Train