8 Days Yushu Horse Racing Festival Tour
(TFT009) Xining - Tongren - Madoi - Yushu - Xining
Escorted by private guide and vehicle; leave 365 days a year!
Easy - suitable for all level of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
Trip Level Guide:
- Easy - suitable for all level of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
- Moderate - suitable for ones with average level fitness, family with kids bigger than 12 yrs.
- Moderate to Strenous - suitable for ones physically fit; have experiences of high altitude trek.
- Strenuous: suitable for adventures and individual with physically fit and healthy.
Horse Racing Festival in Yushu of Qinghai province is one of the three most famous horse racing festivals in Tibetan area. It starts from 25th, July and usually lasts for a week, even longer. The typical festivities involve horse races, yak races, tugs of war, the Tibetan equivalent of a weight-lifting tournament, eating and drinking as well as dancing and singing performances, display of traditional Tibetan costume, etc. Horse Racing Festival in Yushu of Qinghai is one of the three most famous horse racing festivals in Tibetan area. It starts from 25th, July and usually lasts for a week, even longer.
Starting from Xining, tourists will arrive in Yushu(Horse racing festival venue )via Tongren, and you can appreciate the horse racing and a variety of performances held by Tibetan nomads last for a week, and visit monasteries and vast grassland along the way. As a region inhabited by Tibetan, Qinghai was the homeland of 10th Dalai Lama and Tibetan Buddhism founder Padmasambhava. In addition, there are more steppes nomads than that in ATR.
At a GlanceDay 1
Arrive in XiningDay 2
Xining - Tongren (Repkong) (B)Day 3
Tongren - Madoi (Mado) (B)Day 4
Madoi - Yushu (Jyekundo) (B)Day 5-6
Yushu Horse Racing Festival Experience (B)Day 7
Yushu to Xining by Flight (B)Day 8
Departure from Xining (B)
Day to Day Itinerary
Day 1: Arrive in Xining
Upon your arrival, your local guide will meet you at the airport or railway station and then take you to the hotel.
The rest time is for you to explore freely and have a good rest.
Stay overnight in Xining.
Day 2: Xining - Tongren (Repkong) (B)
Drive to Tongren County in the morning, and explore the Longwu monastery (Ronpo Gonchen Gompa) and Wutun Monastery in the afternoon. Founded in 1301, Longwu monastery is 186 kilometers away from Xining. Its grand hall has a number of spectacular statues of Shakyamuni and others including an 11 metre gilded statue of the founder, Tsongkapa on a stand 26 metres in circumference. The handcraft of Tongren is famous in Tibetan region. In and around the Wutun monastery, there are many Thangka- making studios where you can watch how thangkas are painted as long as you like.
Stay overnight in Tongren.
Day 3: Tongren - Madoi (Mado) (B)
In the morning, drive along the north of Anemaqing mountain ranges to the hot spring town. The mountain has long been known as the holy mountain in Golok Tibetans minds.On a clear day, you can view the summit of the mountain (6282m above the sea level) in the distance.
Madoi is the first county at the upper reaches of the Yellow River. With a length of 5464km, Yellow River is the second longest river in China with its source just in Madoi.
Stay overnight at Madoi.
Day 4: Madoi - Yushu (Jyekundo) (B)
Today, drive through Tibetan plateau, the paradise of wild animal. You may encounter a few wild donkeys in the wide grassland.
In the late afternoon, drop a visit in the Mani wall out of Yushu town. Lying only three kilometers from Yushu, it is a wonder mixed with nature and religion. Pilgrims walk round the wall of holy stones in a clockwise direction, uttering prayers and twirling prayer wheels.
Stay overnight in Yushu.
Day 5-6: Yushu Horse Racing Festival Experience (B)
We will stay at Yushu for 2 days to experience this grand ceremony of Tibetan plateau. Tourists can play and dance with Tibetans, and watch the extraordinary horsemanship in horse riding competition and archery skills, feel the power of Tibetan wrestling. Engulfed in pervasive carnival atmosphere, you will be invited in Tibetan nomads’ camps and enjoy tasty Tibetan food or explore the trade fair on the prairie.
Stay overnight in Yushu.
Day 7: Yushu to Xining by Flight (B)
Day 8: Departure from Xining (B)
You will be driven to the Xining airport for your flight to next destination.
If you are interested in extending trip to Tibet, you may take a train from Xining to experience the Qinghai Tibet Railway travel.
- Tibet travel permit and all other necessary permits to Tibet;
- All entrance ticket fees for all tourist sites listed in the itinerary;
- Personal knowledgeable English-speaking Tibetan local tour guide;
- Personal comfortable, clean and safe vehicle with reliable Tibetan local driver; vehicle ranging from 4WD land cruiser to minibus depending on your group size;
- All lodging listed in the itinerary; it’s your decision about the accommodation class: luxury 5-star international hotel, comfortable 4-star hotel, economic 3-star hotel or budget hostel, guesthouse or tent. Please tell us your accommodation preference when submitting the enquiry; we will arrange the best-value hotels for you.
- Domestic flight/train tickets listed in the itinerary;
- All meals listed in the above itinerary;
- Tourist accident/casualty insurance;
- First aid kit;
- International flight to and out of China;
- Chinese visa (Note: we could help you with the Chinese visa application, like providing the invitation letter, presenting the hotel or domestic flight reservation copies, etc that you may need. )
- Domestic flight/train not listed in the itinerary. (We can provide you the domestic flight/train ticket booking service at the BEST discount price; please contact us our travel experts for the details.)
- Meals not specified in the itinerary; usually it costs about USD3-15 per person for one meal in TAR (Tibet Autonomous Region).
- Tips and gratitude to tour guide and driver;
- Personal expenses, like laundry, phone call, snacks, soft drinks (please do the best to avoid the alcoholic beverages during your Tibet trip), optional tour activities, etc.
Contact us for your dream trip now !Enquire Now
You May Also Like
7 Days Gyantse Damar Festival Tour
Lhasa - Lake Yamdrok - Gyantse - Lhasa
5 Days Gaden Ngachen Chenmo Festival Tour
8 Days Tibet Nagqu Horse Racing Festival Budget Travel by Train
Lhasa - Nagqu - Lhasa
15 Days Tour Kailash in Saga Dawa Festival
Lhasa - Shigatse - EBC - Saga - Lake Manasarovar and Mt. Kailash - Zhangmu - Kathmandu
Most Frequently Asked Questions from our Clients
Get Started - 8 Days Yushu Horse Racing Festival Tour