8 Days Tashilhunpo Festival Tour to Lhasa, Gyantse, Shigatse, and Tsedang
(TFT005) Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - Tsedang
Escorted by private guide and vehicle; leave 365 days a year!
Easy - suitable for all level of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
Trip Level Guide:
- Easy - suitable for all level of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
- Moderate - suitable for ones with average level fitness, family with kids bigger than 12 yrs.
- Moderate to Strenous - suitable for ones physically fit; have experiences of high altitude trek.
- Strenuous: suitable for adventures and individual with physically fit and healthy.
Tashilhunpo Festival, also known as Buddha Exhibition Festival in Tashilhunpo Monastery enjoys high popularity among local Tibetans and tourists. The festival lasts for three days in the middle of the fifth lunar Tibetan month. Events reach its climax with the unveiling of a huge four-storey-tall thangka (religious painting) on a tower behind the monastery.
The itinerary centers around the Lhasa city and its surrounding scenic spots and tourists head to Tashilhunpo Monastery where you can participate various religious events that can only be seen during the big festival.
At a GlanceDay 1
Arrive in LhasaDay 2
Lhasa Tour - Potala Place, Johkang Temple, Barkor Street (B)Day 3
Lhasa Tour - Drepung and Sera Monastery (B)Day 4
Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse (360 km) (B)Day 5
One Day Tour for Tashilunpo Festival (B)Day 6
Shigatse - Samye - Tsedang (B)Day 7
Tsedang Tour - Yambulakhang Palace and Tadruk Monastery (B)Day 8
Departure from Tsedang (B)
Day to Day Itinerary
Day 1: Arrive in Lhasa
Upon your arrival at Lhasa airport or train station, you will be greeted by your Tibetan guide and escorted to your hotel in Lhasa. If you take the train to Lhasa, normally you will arrive in the late afternoon or evening, 20 minutes drive will take you to your hotel in Lhasa city.
Check in at hotel, and get acclimatized the high altitude.
Stay overnight in Lhasa.
Day 2: Lhasa Tour - Potala Place, Johkang Temple, Barkor Street (B)
Today's tour will first bring you to the Potala Palace which is the winter palace of the Dalai lama. It was put to use since the 7th Century by the 33rd great king of Tibet. The most valuable collections of Potala Palace are the gilded burial stupas of former Dalai Lamas and meditation Cave of the 33rd great king of Tibet.
Then after lunch, tourists head to Jokhang Temple which was founded by the 33rd great king of Tibet in the 7th century, in order to promote the Buddhist religion. Inside you can see the statue of Buddha Sakyamuni at the age of twelve, perhaps the only most venerated object in Tibetan Buddhism. Around the temple is Barkhor street where you can do kora (a religious circle of a building or mountain) with pilgrims and locals, in the meantime you can buy souvenirs.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 3: Lhasa Tour - Drepung and Sera Monastery (B)
In the morning ,you are going to visit Drepung monastery which is one of the “great three” Gelug monasteries of Tibet, founded in 1416 by Jamyang choge, one of the Tsongkhapa’s main disciples. Ganden palace used to be Dalai lama’s palace in the Drepung before he moved to the Potala palace.
In the Afternoon, Tourists will visit Sera Monastery which is another one of the “great three” Gelug monasteries of Tibet, founded in 1419 by Jamchen Chojey, one of the Tsongkhapa’s main disciples. The hot attraction is the Monks debate at around 3 - 5 in the afternoon.
Stay overnight in Lhasa.
Day 4: Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse (360 km) (B)
We will leave Lhasa for Yamdrok Lake through Gambala Pass (4780m) after breakfast. Yamdrok Lake is one of the three most famous holy lakes in Tibet. It covers an area of 638 square kilometers with an altitude of 4441 meters. The landscapes of mountains and lakes here tops in southern Tibet.
Then we will set out for Shigatse, via Karo-la Glacier and make a visit to Palkhor Monastery in Gyantse on the way to Shigatse, which is the biggest city in Tsang and Tibet's second largest city.
Stay overnight in Shigatse.
Day 5: One Day Tour for Tashilunpo Festival (B)
We will make a visit to Tashilhunpo Monastery and experience the Buddha Exhibition Festival in the morning. The Buddha Exhibition in Tashilhunpo Monastery has a history of more than 500 years and is different from Buddha exhibitions in other monasteries. The Buddha Exhibitions in Tashilhunpo and Drepung are most famous and solemn ceremonies in Tibet.
The Buddha Exhibition Festival of Tashilhunpo Monastery lasts from May 14 to May 16 in Tibetan Calendar. Thousands of Buddhism followers would come here to show their respects to the Buddha and tourists can watch the grand Buddha Thangka unfolding which lasts for two days and many pilgrims would do the religious circling around the gigantic Buddha and Tashilunpo monastery.
In the afternoon, we will tour to the local market to experience the daily life of the local people. Then we will tour to the new palace of Panchen Lamas. Both of them are near the Tashilhunpo.
Stay overnight in Shigats.
Day 6: Shigatse - Samye - Tsedang (B)
We will drive to Tsedang after breakfast along the Sino-Nepal Highway. We can appreciate the particular natural landscapes of Yarlung Zangbo River Valley and take ferry to corss Yarlungzongpo River to visit Samye Monastery on the way. The Samye Monastery is the first temple to be built in Tibet and the first complete with the three Buddhist jewels of Buddha, Dharma and Sangha. With these unique features, this splendid temple has become an attraction for visitors from near and far.
Stay overnight in Tsedang .
Day 7: Tsedang Tour - Yambulakhang Palace and Tadruk Monastery (B)
Tsedang is known as the capital of the ancient Yarlung Kingdom. Today, we drive 7kms to visit Yambulakhang Palace, the first building of Tibet which is built in 2nd century for Tibetan Kings. It is situated on a summit of a small hill on the east bank of the Yarlung River.
Then drive to see the tombs of Tibetan Kings. We also pay a visit to Tradruk Monastery in the afternoon.
Stay overnight in Tsedang.
Day 8: Departure from Tsedang (B)
Transfer to the airport(90km, 2 hrs) for your flight back to home.
- Tibet travel permit and all other necessary permits to Tibet;
- All entrance ticket fees for all tourist sites listed in the itinerary;
- Personal knowledgeable English-speaking Tibetan local tour guide;
- Personal comfortable, clean and safe vehicle with reliable Tibetan local driver; vehicle ranging from 4WD land cruiser to minibus depending on your group size;
- All lodging listed in the itinerary; it’s your decision about the accommodation class: luxury 5-star international hotel, comfortable 4-star hotel, economic 3-star hotel or budget hostel, guesthouse or tent. Please tell us your accommodation preference when submitting the enquiry; we will arrange the best-value hotels for you.
- Domestic flight/train tickets listed in the itinerary;
- All meals listed in the above itinerary;
- Tourist accident/casualty insurance;
- First aid kit;
- International flight to and out of China;
- Chinese visa (Note: we could help you with the Chinese visa application, like providing the invitation letter, presenting the hotel or domestic flight reservation copies, etc that you may need. )
- Domestic flight/train not listed in the itinerary. (We can provide you the domestic flight/train ticket booking service at the BEST discount price; please contact us our travel experts for the details.)
- Meals not specified in the itinerary; usually it costs about USD3-15 per person for one meal in TAR (Tibet Autonomous Region).
- Tips and gratitude to tour guide and driver;
- Personal expenses, like laundry, phone call, snacks, soft drinks (please do the best to avoid the alcoholic beverages during your Tibet trip), optional tour activities, etc.
Contact us for your dream trip now !Enquire Now
You May Also Like
5 Days Shoton Festival Experience Tour
5 Days Gaden Ngachen Chenmo Festival Tour
8 Days Yushu Horse Racing Festival Tour
Xining - Tongren - Madoi - Yushu - Xining
15 Days Kailash Tour in Saga Dawa Festival
Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - EBC - Lake Manasarovar - Kailash Trek - Saga - Sakya - Shigatse - Lhasa
Most Frequently Asked Questions from our Clients
Get Started - 8 Days Tashilhunpo Festival Tour