8 Days Private Kathmandu to Lhasa Overland Tour with EBC
(TPT007) Kathmandu - Kyirong - EBC - Tingri - Shigatse - Gyantse - Lhasa
Escorted by private guide and vehicle; leave 365 days a year!
Easy - suitable for all levels of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
Trip Level Guide:
- Easy - suitable for all level of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
- Moderate - suitable for ones with average level fitness, family with kids bigger than 12 yrs.
- Moderate to Strenous - suitable for ones physically fit; have experiences of high altitude trek.
- Strenuous: suitable for adventures and individual with physically fit and healthy.
This 8-day Kathmandu to Lhasa overland tour takes you to travel from the gorgeous Kathmandu Valley to holy Lhasa City via Gyirong Port. Driving along Friendship Highway, you’ll spend one night at Gyirong first to acclimate to the increasing altitude and prepare for the thrilling visit to the world’s highest peak - Mount Everest (8844.43m) and highest monastery - Rongbuk Monastery (5200m). Then you’ll head eastwards to Lhasa and visit Tashilhunpo Monastery, Pelkor Monastery, Gyantse Kumbum, Yamdrok Lake, en route. In holy Lhasa City, you can leisurely stroll around Potala Palace and Jokhang Temple, and follow the Barkhor Kora with sincere pilgrims, and watch the vigorous monks debating at Sera Monastery. In this 8-day private Nepal Tibet overland tour, our Tibetan tour guide, seasoned local driver and professional travel guru are always here at your disposal.
At a GlanceDay 1
Kathmandu to Syabrubesi (137km, 7 hrs)Day 2
Syabrubesi to Kyirong (40km, 4-5hrs) (B)Day 3
Kyirong to EBC to Tingri (480km, 11 hrs) (B)Day 4
Tingri to Shigatse (280km, 7 hrs) (B)Day 5
Shigatse to Lhasa via Gyantse (B)Day 6
Lhasa Tour - Potala Palace and Johkang Temple (B)Day 7
Lhasa tour - Sera and Drepung Monastery (B)Day 8
Depart from Lhasa (B)
Day to Day Itinerary
Day 1: Kathmandu to Syabrubesi (137km, 7 hrs)
Our driver will pick you up in your hotel during 9:00-9:30 am. Then we will drive to China Tibet border. While driving near Mt.Himalaya, you can see the deep gorges, snow-capped mountain on the way. We will also drive across the LuangTang National Park.
Stay overnight in village guest house in Syabrubesi.
Day 2: Syabrubesi to Kyirong (40km, 4-5hrs) (B)
After breakfast, we will drive 15km to the border to enter China. You will meet our guide in China side. Then we will drive 1 hour to Kyirong (2800m) where is surrounded by lofty snow-capped mountains and dense forests. In the afternoon, you take a stroll to visit Paba Temple (2850m), a Gelugpa temple built by Tibetan King Songtsan Gambo at the proposal of his wife Nepali princess Bhrikuti. The Nepali style temple with delicate murals is only within minutes’ walk from your hotel.
Stay overnight in Kyirong.
Day 3: Kyirong to EBC to Tingri (480km, 11 hrs) (B)
Today, we will first drive to pass through Peikutso Lake and grassland. Then we continue to drive to Everest Base Camp and visit the world highest monastery, the Rongbuk Monastery. On the way, you can view the splendid panoramic Himalaya Mountain Range at Gyawula Pass (5200m).
After visiting Everest Base Camp, we will drive to Tingri.
Stay overnight in Tingri.
Day 4: Tingri to Shigatse (280km, 7 hrs) (B)
Today, we will drive from Tingri to Shigatse. On the way, you will visit the 5000m G318 National Highway Milestone in Lhatse. After your arrival in Shigatse in the early afternoon, you will visit the seat of Panchan Lama - Tashilunpo Monastery, one of the most important monasteries in Tibet.
Stay overnight in Shigatse.
Day 5: Shigatse to Lhasa via Gyantse (B)
In the morning, we drive 90km to Gyantse, an ancient county between Shigatse and Lhasa, which boasts a variety of important cultural and historical sites - Pelkor Chode Monastery and Gyantse Kumbum. The Gyantse Kumbum is commissioned by a Gyantse prince in 1427, the 35m-high chörten, with its white layers trimmed with decorative stripes and its crown-like golden dome, is awe-inspiring. Also you can explore the real Tibet town in Gyantse.
In the afternoon, we drive 280km to Lhasa, and we will pass over the Karo la Pass (5010m) and Kambala Pass (4794m). While driving, you will see the beautiful Karo la Glacier,Yamdrotso Lake and Brahmaputra River and finally reach Lhasa.
Stay overnight in Lhasa.
Day 6: Lhasa Tour - Potala Palace and Johkang Temple (B)
Our first stop is to visit the Potala Palace, the UNESCO world heritage site and the winter palace of the Dalai Lama. Walking slowly along the long stone steps to the White and Red Palaces, you can explore the former residence of Dalai Lama and his meeting room and religious chamber. You can see the gilded burial stupas of past Dalai Lamas and the meditation cave of the 33rd great king of Tibet. A bird's-eye view of Lhasa city and Lhasa valley from the top of Potala Palace will take your breath away.
After we have lunch and then we will head to holy Jokhang Temple. It's the most sacred Buddhist site in Tibet. Outside the temple, you will witness pious Tibetan pilgrims, young and old, prostrating themselves in front of Jokhang and long lines of Tibetans following the Barkhor circuit. Inside, traveling in dim butter light, you can see the statue of Buddha Sakyamuni at the age of twelve, perhaps the single most venerated object in Tibet Buddhism. You may reach the top of Jokhang Temple to enjoy the panorama of old Lhasa city and great vista of Potala Palace.
Then we may do the kora by circling the Barkhor Street with pilgrims and locals and buy some souvenirs. Never miss the chance to enjoy the tasty sweet tea in local tea house and visit Tromzikhang, the famous farm produce market.
Stay overnight in Lhasa.
Day 7: Lhasa tour - Sera and Drepung Monastery (B)
In the morning, you are going to visit Drepung Monastery which was one of the “Great Three” Gelug Monasteries of Tibet and was founded in 1416 by Jamyang Choge, one of the Tsongkhapa’s main disciples. Ganden palace is used as Dalai Lama’s palace in the Drepung before moving to the Potala Palace.
In the afternoon, you will visit Sera Monastery which is another one of the “Great Three” Gelug Monasteries of Tibet and founded in 1419 by Jamchen Chojey, one of the Tsongkhapa’s main disciples. The highlight is the monks’ debate at around 3 - 5 in the afternoon.
Stay overnight in Lhasa.
Day 8: Depart from Lhasa (B)
The guide will transfer you to the airport or train station and help you get on board.
- Tibet travel permit and all other necessary permits to Tibet;
- All entrance ticket fees for all tourist sites listed in the itinerary;
- Personal knowledgeable English-speaking Tibetan local tour guide;
- Personal comfortable, clean and safe vehicle with reliable Tibetan local driver; vehicle ranging from 4WD land cruiser to minibus depending on your group size;
- All lodging listed in the itinerary; it’s your decision about the accommodation class: luxury 5-star international hotel, comfortable 4-star hotel, economic 3-star hotel or budget hostel, guesthouse or tent. Please tell us your accommodation preference when submitting the enquiry; we will arrange the best-value hotels for you.
- Domestic flight/train tickets listed in the itinerary;
- All meals listed in the above itinerary;
- Tourist accident/casualty insurance;
- First aid kit;
- International flight to and out of China;
- Chinese visa (Note: we could help you with the Chinese visa application, like providing the invitation letter, presenting the hotel or domestic flight reservation copies, etc that you may need. )
- Domestic flight/train not listed in the itinerary. (We can provide you the domestic flight/train ticket booking service at the BEST discount price; please contact us our travel experts for the details.)
- Meals not specified in the itinerary; usually it costs about USD3-15 per person for one meal in TAR (Tibet Autonomous Region).
- Tips and gratitude to tour guide and driver;
- Personal expenses, like laundry, phone call, snacks, soft drinks (please do the best to avoid the alcoholic beverages during your Tibet trip), optional tour activities, etc.
Contact us for your dream trip now !Enquire Now
You May Also Like
7 Days Private Tour from Lhasa to Everest and Kathmandu
Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - Everest Base Camp - Gyirong - Kathmandu
8 Days Private Tour from Lhasa to Everest Base Camp
Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - Everest Base Camp - Shigatse - Lhasa
10 Days Private Tour from Lhasa to EBC and Namtso
Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - Everest Base Camp - Shigatse - Lhasa - Namtso Lake - Lhasa
15 Days Private Tour from Lhasa to Kailash and Manasarovar
Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - Everest Base Camp - Saga - Darchen - Drirapuk - Dzutripuk - Darchen - Saga - Sakya - Shigatse - Lhasa
Most Frequently Asked Questions from our Clients
Get Started - 8 Days Private Kathmandu to Lhasa Overland Tour with EBC