11 Days Lhasa to EBC Overland Tour from Shanghai by Train
(STT011) Train from Shanghai - Lhasa - Yamdrok Lake - Shigatse - Sakya - EBC - Lhasa
Escorted by private guide and vehicle; leave 365 days a year!
Easy - suitable for all levels of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
Trip Level Guide:
- Easy - suitable for all level of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
- Moderate - suitable for ones with average level fitness, family with kids bigger than 12 yrs.
- Moderate to Strenous - suitable for ones physically fit; have experiences of high altitude trek.
- Strenuous: suitable for adventures and individual with physically fit and healthy.
The tour starts with a train ride from Shanghai, which will take you to the third pole of the world, following the rail line of the famed Qinghai-Tibet Railway. After arriving in Tibet, you will first spend two days on Lhasa sightseeing, visiting the majestic Potala Palace, revered Jokhang Temple, lively Barkhor Street, and other important monasteries, all leaving you a vivid image of Tibetan culture and lifestyle.
Then you will experience one of the most recommended road trips in the world, as you drive from Lhasa to Everest Base Camp, passing by incredible attractions like Yamdrok Lake, Gyantse Kumbum, Sakya Monastery and Mount Everest. Viewing the stunning sunrise of Everest Summit will be a now-or-never chance to take in the utmost beauty of the world’s highest mountain. At last, your tour guide will take you back to Lhasa where you can fly to your next destination.
At a GlanceDay 1
Board the Train to Lhasa from ShanghaiDay 2
Train to LhasaDay 3
Scenery View of Tibet Railway, Arrive in LhasaDay 4
Lhasa Tour - Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple, and Barkhor StreetDay 5
Lhasa Tour - Drepung and Sera MonasteryDay 6
Drive from Lhasa to GyantseDay 7
Drive to Sakya via ShigatseDay 8
Drive to Everest Base Camp and Relax a Night at Rongbuk GuesthouseDay 9
EBC and Return to ShigatseDay 10
Shigatse to LhasaDay 11
Departure from Lhasa
Day to Day Itinerary
Day 1: Board the Train to Lhasa from Shanghai
After arrival in Shanghai, you could have a rest or look around in shanghai on your own. In the evening, you will be transferred to Shanghai Railway Station to board the overnight train to Lhasa. Please be sure to arrive in train station 1 hour and a half before the train departure. Your Tibet Travel Permit will need to be checked when you check in.
Day 2: Train to Lhasa
It is quite a long journey that will take about 47 hours, two days and two nights in the Train, at the first day you will pass through two important provincial capital cities in northwest China, Lanzhou and Xining. Xining is known as the beginning of Qinghai-Tibet Railway. Travelling along the rail line, you could see the scenery of countryside and city in northwest China.
Stay overnight on the Train
Day 3: Scenery View of Tibet Railway, Arrive in Lhasa
Today, you will witness the most beautiful scenery of Qinghai-Tibet Railway. The land of snows, the desert, the grassland, Snow Mountains and the lakes will continually appear and strongly attract your heart.
You will arrive in Lhasa in the late afternoon. Your tour guide will hold a board with your name on it at the exit of the train station to welcome you. A private car will take you from the train station to the reserved hotel.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 4: Lhasa Tour - Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple, and Barkhor Street
Today's tour will first bring you to the Potala Palace which is the winter palace of the Dalai lama. It was put to use since the 7th Century by the 33rd great king of Tibet. The most valuable collections of Potala Palace are the gilded burial stupas of former Dalai Lamas and meditation Cave of the 33rd great king of Tibet.
Then after lunch, tourists head to Jokhang Temple which was founded by the 33rd great king of Tibet in the 7th century, in order to promote the Buddhist religion. Inside you can see the statue of Buddha Sakyamuni at the age of twelve, perhaps the only most venerated object in Tibetan Buddhism. Around the temple is Barkhor street where you can do kora (a religious circle of a building or mountain) with pilgrims and locals, in the meantime you can buy souvenirs.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 5: Lhasa Tour - Drepung and Sera Monastery
In the morning ,you are going to visit Drepung monastery which is one of the “great three” Gelug monasteries of Tibet, founded in 1416 by Jamyang choge, one of the Tsongkhapa’s main disciples. Ganden palace used to be Dalai lama’s palace in the Drepung before he moved to the Potala palace.
In the Afternoon, Tourists will visit Sera Monastery which is another one of the “great three” Gelug monasteries of Tibet, founded in 1419 by Jamchen Chojey, one of the Tsongkhapa’s main disciples. The hot attraction is the Monks debate at around 3 - 5 in the afternoon.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 6: Drive from Lhasa to Gyantse
Today, we will drive from Lhasa to Gyantse. On the way, we will pass over the Gangbala Pass (4790 m). From the top of the pass in clear weather, you can see the fabulous shade of deep turquoise Yamdrok-tso Lake. It is shaped like coiling scorpion with deep blue in color. Far in the distance is the huge massif of mount Nanchan kangtsang (7191m).
Besides, you can also appreciate Korola Glacier on the roadside. At Manak Dam Lake, tourists can hang pray flag at Simila Mountain Pass.
Stay overnight in Gyantse
Day 7: Drive to Sakya via Shigatse
In the morning, we will drive on towards Shigatse after visiting the famous Gyantse Kumbum.
In Shigatse, you will visit the famous Tashilhunpo Monastery where you can see the well preserved largest statue of Jampa (future god) in the world. The monastery itself is an abiding place for the successive Penchen Lamas.
Then we will drive towards the Sakya County where you can visit the famous Sakya Monastery. The most interesting thing in Sakya sect is that the sect does not believe in reincarnation and the head of sakya sect will wear white cassock and also marry to birth their child for next generation.
Stay overnight in Sakya County.
Day 8: Drive to Everest Base Camp and Relax a Night at Rongbuk Guesthouse
It takes about 5 hours driving from Sakya to Rongbuk. From Tingri to Everest Base Camp with the very rough road, you will pass the wild grassland and cross the rapid rivers and high mountains.
If it is in clear weather, you can have a glimpse of 4 mountains which is 8000m high or more, including Mt. Lhotse (8516m), Mt. Everest (8848m), Mt. Qowowuyag (8201m), Mt Mayalu (8463m). Enjoy your remaining time at Everest base camp.
Stay overnight in Rongbuk Guest House or Tent
Day 9: EBC and Return to Shigatse
In the morning, you can see the sunrise appearing on the top of Mt. Everest, and have a full view the magnificent Mt. Everest standing like a snow-capped pyramid in front of you at Rongbuk, which is the vantage point for watching Mt. Everest. Then, tourists can visit Rongbuk Monastery which is the highest monastery in the world (5000m) and belongs to Nyingma sect. After that, drive back to Shigatse.
Stay overnight in Shigatse
Day 10: Shigatse to Lhasa
Today, we will drive back to Lhasa on the friendship Highway. The whole distance is almost 280km and it takes 6 hours along the Yarlung Tsangpo River/Bhamaputra River (the Longest and largest river in Tibet).
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 11: Departure from Lhasa
You will be transferred to Lhasa airport for your flight to next destination.
- Tibet travel permit and all other necessary permits to Tibet;
- All entrance ticket fees for all tourist sites listed in the itinerary;
- Personal knowledgeable English-speaking Tibetan local tour guide;
- Personal comfortable, clean and safe vehicle with reliable Tibetan local driver; vehicle ranging from 4WD land cruiser to minibus depending on your group size;
- All lodging listed in the itinerary; it’s your decision about the accommodation class: luxury 5-star international hotel, comfortable 4-star hotel, economic 3-star hotel or budget hostel, guesthouse or tent. Please tell us your accommodation preference when submitting the enquiry; we will arrange the best-value hotels for you.
- Domestic flight/train tickets listed in the itinerary;
- All meals listed in the above itinerary;
- Tourist accident/casualty insurance;
- First aid kit;
- International flight to and out of China;
- Chinese visa (Note: we could help you with the Chinese visa application, like providing the invitation letter, presenting the hotel or domestic flight reservation copies, etc that you may need. )
- Domestic flight/train not listed in the itinerary. (We can provide you the domestic flight/train ticket booking service at the BEST discount price; please contact us our travel experts for the details.)
- Meals not specified in the itinerary; usually it costs about USD3-15 per person for one meal in TAR (Tibet Autonomous Region).
- Tips and gratitude to tour guide and driver;
- Personal expenses, like laundry, phone call, snacks, soft drinks (please do the best to avoid the alcoholic beverages during your Tibet trip), optional tour activities, etc.
Contact us for your dream trip now !Enquire Now
You May Also Like
8 Days Classic Shanghai and Tibet Tour by Train
Shanghai - Lhasa
9 Days Shanghai Lhasa and Namtso Tour by Flight
Shanghai - Flight to Lhasa - Lhasa - Namtso - Lhasa
12 Days Shanghai Xi'an to Lhasa by Flight and Train
Shanghai - Xian - Lhasa - Shigatse - EBC - Lhasa
10 Days Shanghai Lhasa Everest Base Camp Tour by Train
Train from Shanghai - Lhasa - Yamdrok Lake - Shigatse - EBC – Lhasa
Most Frequently Asked Questions from our Clients
Get Started - 11 Days Lhasa to EBC Overland Tour from Shanghai by Train