8 Days Classic Shanghai and Tibet Tour by Train
(STT001) Shanghai - Lhasa
Escorted by private guide and vehicle; leave 365 days a year!
Easy - suitable for all level of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
Trip Level Guide:
- Easy - suitable for all level of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
- Moderate - suitable for ones with average level fitness, family with kids bigger than 12 yrs.
- Moderate to Strenous - suitable for ones physically fit; have experiences of high altitude trek.
- Strenuous: suitable for adventures and individual with physically fit and healthy.
For first-time travelers to China, travelling from Shanghai to Lhasa offers an utterly different experience. Shanghai like Beijing is an international megacity with fine blend of tradition and modernity. Through the 3-day classic tour in Shanghai, you can witness the prosperity of modern China and enjoy the history and architecture, art in Chinese Ming Dynasty. Meanwhile, tourists can take Qinghai-Tibet train to Lhasa, the highest man-made wonder in the world. The holy Tibetan Buddhist monasteries, devout Tibetan pilgrims and exotic alpine customs and scenery would bring you a second-to-none journey of spiritualty in Buddhism kingdom.
At a GlanceDay 1
Arrive in ShanghaiDay 2
Shanghai Tour: Shanghai Museum, Yu Garden, and Oriental Pearl TV Tower, The BundDay 3
Shanghai Tour and Board Train to Lhasa: Zhujiajiao Ancient TownDay 4-5
Scenery View of Tibet Railway, Arrive in LhasaDay 6
Lhasa Tour - Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple, and Barkhor StreetDay 7
Lhasa Tour - Drepung and Sera MonasteryDay 8
Departure from Lhasa
Day to Day Itinerary
Day 1: Arrive in Shanghai
As you arrive in Shanghai, the megacity and financial hub of China, our local guide will be expecting you at the Shanghai Pudong International Airport. Later, the guide will escort you to your hotel. After you check in, the rest of the day is for you to have a good rest or explore the surroundings yourself.
Stay overnight in Shanghai
Day 2: Shanghai Tour: Shanghai Museum, Yu Garden, and Oriental Pearl TV Tower, The Bund
Today we are about to visit some of the highlights of highlights of Shanghai Tour. Starting with fascinating Shanghai Museum, the magnificent 4-story building houses an incredible collection of bronzes, sculptures, ceramics, coins, paintings, calligraphy, costumes and other exhibits in different dynasties. It’s the perfect place for fans of Chinese history and art.
Next comes the Yu Garden. Built in the 16th century during the Ming Dynasty, the Yu Garden used to be the private residence of a senior Government administrator in the Ming Dynasty. For passionate photographer, never miss the chance to photograph Old Street of Yu Garden.
In the evening, we will visit the most iconic building of Shanghai, i.e. Oriental Pearl TV Tower. You can enjoy the amazing panorama of the skyline of Shanghai at night. And as you stroll along the Bund, you will get amazed at the spectacular Huangpu River and dazzling light from buildings of Pudong.
Stay overnight in Shanghai
Day 3: Shanghai Tour and Board Train to Lhasa: Zhujiajiao Ancient Town
In the morning, we are expected to visit picturesque Zhujiajiao Ancient Town, also known as the "Venice of China". It’s about 1 hour drive from downtown Shanghai. The ancient town dates back to Ming Dynasty. It’s highly recommended to enjoy the boat ride from one end of the water way to the other. Ke Zhi Garden and multiple shops and bridges, and street vendors selling handicrafts and goldfish and turtles provide a respite from boisterous metropolitan city.
After a good rest at hotel in the afternoon, you will be transferred to Shanghai Railway Station to board the overnight train to Lhasa. Train Z164 starts at about 20:10 from Shanghai and arrive in Lhasa at 19:44 on the third day, totally about 47 hours and 34 minutes.
Stay overnight in the train
Day 4-5: Scenery View of Tibet Railway, Arrive in Lhasa
A full day window sightseeing along Qinghai-Tibet Railway, you will see land of snows, desert, immense grassland, ice mountain, beautiful lakes which will fairly entertaining.
Shortly after your arrival in Lhasa in the late afternoon of third day, you will be warmly received by your tour guide who would say Tashi Delek, which means wishing you all the best and transferred to your reserved hotel in Lhasa. You can have a good rest to acclimatize the high altitude.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 6: Lhasa Tour - Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple, and Barkhor Street
Today's tour will first bring you to the Potala Palace which is the winter palace of the Dalai lama. It was put to use since the 7th Century by the 33rd great king of Tibet. The most valuable collections of Potala Palace are the gilded burial stupas of former Dalai Lamas and meditation Cave of the 33rd great king of Tibet.
Then after lunch, tourists head to Jokhang Temple which was founded by the 33rd great king of Tibet in the 7th century, in order to promote the Buddhist religion. Inside you can see the statue of Buddha Sakyamuni at the age of twelve, perhaps the only most venerated object in Tibetan Buddhism. Around the temple is Barkhor street where you can do kora (a religious circle of a building or mountain) with pilgrims and locals, in the meantime you can buy souvenirs.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 7: Lhasa Tour - Drepung and Sera Monastery
In the morning ,you are going to visit Drepung monastery which is one of the “great three” Gelug monasteries of Tibet, founded in 1416 by Jamyang choge, one of the Tsongkhapa’s main disciples. Ganden palace used to be Dalai lama’s palace in the Drepung before he moved to the Potala palace.
In the Afternoon, Tourists will visit Sera Monastery which is another one of the “great three” Gelug monasteries of Tibet, founded in 1419 by Jamchen Chojey, one of the Tsongkhapa’s main disciples. The hot attraction is the Monks debate at around 3 - 5 in the afternoon.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 8: Departure from Lhasa
The guide will transfer you to the airport or train station and help you get on board.
- Tibet travel permit and all other necessary permits to Tibet;
- All entrance ticket fees for all tourist sites listed in the itinerary;
- Personal knowledgeable English-speaking Tibetan local tour guide;
- Personal comfortable, clean and safe vehicle with reliable Tibetan local driver; vehicle ranging from 4WD land cruiser to minibus depending on your group size;
- All lodging listed in the itinerary; it’s your decision about the accommodation class: luxury 5-star international hotel, comfortable 4-star hotel, economic 3-star hotel or budget hostel, guesthouse or tent. Please tell us your accommodation preference when submitting the enquiry; we will arrange the best-value hotels for you.
- Domestic flight/train tickets listed in the itinerary;
- All meals listed in the above itinerary;
- Tourist accident/casualty insurance;
- First aid kit;
- International flight to and out of China;
- Chinese visa (Note: we could help you with the Chinese visa application, like providing the invitation letter, presenting the hotel or domestic flight reservation copies, etc that you may need. )
- Domestic flight/train not listed in the itinerary. (We can provide you the domestic flight/train ticket booking service at the BEST discount price; please contact us our travel experts for the details.)
- Meals not specified in the itinerary; usually it costs about USD3-15 per person for one meal in TAR (Tibet Autonomous Region).
- Tips and gratitude to tour guide and driver;
- Personal expenses, like laundry, phone call, snacks, soft drinks (please do the best to avoid the alcoholic beverages during your Tibet trip), optional tour activities, etc.
Contact us for your dream trip now !Enquire Now
You May Also Like
9 Days Shanghai Lhasa and Namtso Tour by Flight
Shanghai - Flight to Lhasa - Lhasa - Namtso - Lhasa
12 Days Shanghai Xi'an to Lhasa by Flight and Train
Shanghai - Xian - Lhasa - Shigatse - EBC - Lhasa
15 Days Shanghai Lhasa Xi'an Beijing Tour by Flight and Train
Shanghai - Lhasa - Shigatse - Lhasa - Xi'an - Beijing
14 Days Shanghai to Chengdu Tour and Lhasa to Beijing Tour
Shanghai - Chengdu - Lhasa - Xi'an - Beijing
17 Days Oriental Cultural Exploration and Tibet Tour
Shanghai - Guilin - Chengdu - Lhasa - Xi'an - Beijing
17 Days Shanghai to Lhasa and Nepal Tour
Shanghai - Flight from Shanghai - Lhasa - Namtso - Lhasa - Kathmandu - Chitwan - Lumbini - Pokhara - Kathmandu
Most Frequently Asked Questions from our Clients
Get Started - 8 Days Classic Shanghai and Tibet Tour by Train