10 Days Litang Horse Racing Festival Tour
Escorted by private guide and vehicle; leave 365 days a year!
Easy - suitable for all level of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
Trip Level Guide:
- Easy - suitable for all level of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
- Moderate - suitable for ones with average level fitness, family with kids bigger than 12 yrs.
- Moderate to Strenous - suitable for ones physically fit; have experiences of high altitude trek.
- Strenuous: suitable for adventures and individual with physically fit and healthy.
As July and August come, Litang grassland reaches its prime time, lush with grass and flowers. Days before the Litang Horse Racing Festival, Tibean nomads would be well-dressed and take their camping facilities (such as: Pulu--Tibetan wool blanket, Tibetan mat, food, bowls, etc) to the grassland around Litang county and settle down for the festivals. Soon, the vast prairie is transformed into a city of tents.
Known as “the county of horsemanship”, Litang was listed in Intangible Cultural Heritage of Sichuan province. During the festivities, all the horses will be dressed lovely and horse racing contestants are expected to display their varied horsemanship stunts.
Apart from horse racing, there are a variety of engaging competitions related to their daily life, such as cooking, clothes making, sing and acting, etc. Besides, Tibetan medicine, animal’s fur, tea, jewellery, etc will also be sold in the traditional way in the nomadic fair. The seller and buyer will bargain with each other with symbolic finger gesture in their sleeves as a traditional way to express mutual respect, mutual benefit and fair business.
At a GlanceDay 1
(27th of July) Arrive in ChengduDay 2
(28th of July) Chengdu-RilongDay 3
(29th of July) Rilong-DanbaDay 4
(30th of July) Danba-XinduqiaoDay 5
(31st of July) Xinduqiao-LitangDay 6-7
(1st-2nd of Aug.) Enjoy Horse Racing FestivalDay 8
(3rd of Aug.) Litang-KangdingDay 9
(4th of Aug.) Kangding-ChengduDay 10
(5th of Aug.) Depart from Chengdu
Day to Day Itinerary
Day 1: (27th of July) Arrive in Chengdu
After your arrival in Chengdu Airport or train station, you will be transferred to your hotel for a rest. And then you can enjoy Sichuan opera after dinner.
Stay overnight in Chengdu
Day 2: (28th of July) Chengdu-Rilong
Drive from Chengdu to Rilong Town. On the way, we can visit the famous Dujiangyan Irrigation System and Wolong Giant Panda Natural Reserve. Driving across Balang Mountain (4500m), we will arrive in Rilong where beautiful Mt. Siguniang is located. Then visit Shuangqiao Valley where you can view more than 10 snow mountains over 4,000m.
Stay overnight in Rilong Town
Day 3: (29th of July) Rilong-Danba
Drive to Danba in the morning. Sightseeing Xiaojin ancient city & the valley of Xiaojin River en route. Danba is famous for its own beauty valley with pretty Jiarong branch Tibetan women. Visit the unique Danba Ancient block towers in Suopo, the Dadu river valley, and feel the folks and customs of Jiarong branch Tibet people.
Stay overnight in Danba
Day 4: (30th of July) Danba-Xinduqiao
Day 5: (31st of July) Xinduqiao-Litang
Drive from Xinduqiao to Litang along Yangjiang. We will drive across 2 high passes over 4000m on the way. Litang is reputed to be the highest town in the world and is the largest town in western Sichuan. We arrive in Litang on the eve of the Litang Horse Racing Festival. It is very thrilling.
Stay overnight in Litang
Day 6-7: (1st-2nd of Aug.) Enjoy Horse Racing Festival
We arrange two days for you to enjoy the Litang Horse Racing Festival with local people. Except watching the exiting races, you can also spare some time to visit the Litang Monastery on the north end of the Litang town. It was originally built in 1580 by the 3rd Dalai Lama, Sonam Gyamtso.
Stay overnight in Litang
Day 8: (3rd of Aug.) Litang-Kangding
Drive from Litang to Kangding, which is known as the Love Song City of China. The Kangding town has held the status of 'Gateway to Tibet' for a long time. When arriving in the town, you can enjoy a hot spring in the afternoon.
Stay overnight in Kangding
Day 9: (4th of Aug.) Kangding-Chengdu
Drive back to Chengdu along Dadu River and pass through Erlang Tunnel, a famous tunnel along Sichuan-Tibet. The Dadu River is a tributary of the Min River which is a tributary of the Yangtze River.
Stay overnight in Chengdu
Day 10: (5th of Aug.) Depart from Chengdu
Transfer to Chengdu Shuangliu Airport. The tour ends.
- Tibet travel permit and all other necessary permits to Tibet;
- All entrance ticket fees for all tourist sites listed in the itinerary;
- Personal knowledgeable English-speaking Tibetan local tour guide;
- Personal comfortable, clean and safe vehicle with reliable Tibetan local driver; vehicle ranging from 4WD land cruiser to minibus depending on your group size;
- All lodging listed in the itinerary; it’s your decision about the accommodation class: luxury 5-star international hotel, comfortable 4-star hotel, economic 3-star hotel or budget hostel, guesthouse or tent. Please tell us your accommodation preference when submitting the enquiry; we will arrange the best-value hotels for you.
- Domestic flight/train tickets listed in the itinerary;
- All meals listed in the above itinerary;
- Tourist accident/casualty insurance;
- First aid kit;
- International flight to and out of China;
- Chinese visa (Note: we could help you with the Chinese visa application, like providing the invitation letter, presenting the hotel or domestic flight reservation copies, etc that you may need. )
- Domestic flight/train not listed in the itinerary. (We can provide you the domestic flight/train ticket booking service at the BEST discount price; please contact us our travel experts for the details.)
- Meals not specified in the itinerary; usually it costs about USD3-15 per person for one meal in TAR (Tibet Autonomous Region).
- Tips and gratitude to tour guide and driver;
- Personal expenses, like laundry, phone call, snacks, soft drinks (please do the best to avoid the alcoholic beverages during your Tibet trip), optional tour activities, etc.
Contact us for your dream trip now !Enquire Now
You May Also Like
Most Frequently Asked Questions from our Clients
Get Started - 10 Days Litang Horse Racing Festival Tour