7 Days Kathmandu to Lhasa Overland Trip without EBC
(NTT001) Kathmandu - Gyirong - Lhatse-Tingri- Sakya - Shigatse - Gyantse - Lhasa
Escorted by private guide and vehicle; leave 365 days a year!
Easy - suitable for all level of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
Trip Level Guide:
- Easy - suitable for all level of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
- Moderate - suitable for ones with average level fitness, family with kids bigger than 12 yrs.
- Moderate to Strenous - suitable for ones physically fit; have experiences of high altitude trek.
- Strenuous: suitable for adventures and individual with physically fit and healthy.
SAVE UP TO 40% by joining in our guaranteed departure small group tour (5-12 pax) with one shared tour guide and vehicle if you’re traveling solo or on a budget.
Read the details about our 7 Days Kathmandu to Lhasa Overland Trip without EBC. Find more Tibet Join-in Small Group Tours here.
In this Kathmandu to Lhasa tour, we have amazing views of the Himalaya and the picturesque Tibetan countryside greet you on the overland drive from Kathmandu to Lhasa en route from Sakya Monastery, to Shigatse, the second largest city in Tibet, the Tashihunpo monastery, the seat of the Panchen Lamas. Then to Gyantse, with its unique Palkor Monastery and Kumbum Chorten. The tour ends in Lhasa.
At a GlanceDay 1
Kathmandu to Rashuwaghadi 130kmDay 2
Gyirong to Tingri 300kmDay 3
Tingri to Shigatse via Sakya 360km (B)Day 4
Shigatse to Lhasa via Gyantse 375km (B)Day 5
Lhasa Tour – Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple and Barkhor Street (B)Day 6
Lhasa Tour – Drepung Monastery and Sera Monastery (B)Day 7
Depart from Lhasa (B)
Day to Day Itinerary
Day 1: Kathmandu to Rashuwaghadi 130km
In the morning, our staff will pick you up from your hotel in Kathmandu. Then, we will drive along small mountain road to the border at Nepalese side. You will enjoy enchanting waterfall, river, gorges, forest on the way.
Stay overnight in the local guesthouse in Rashuwaghadi(2700m)
*Transfer from Kathmandu to Rashuwaghadi is an option need to pay extra 300USD/car
Day 2: Gyirong to Tingri 300km
After you enter Tibet, our Tibetan guide will be meeting you at Gyirong border( *Transfer from Gyirong to Old Tingri(4300m). You can enjoy the beautiful border line along snow-capped mountain and evergreen forest. As we pass Tongla Pass (5100m), you can take a glimpse of the stunning Himalaya Mountain range.
Day 3: Tingri to Shigatse via Sakya 360km (B)
As you move from Tingri to Shigatse, you can view the a vast plain of Shigatse. Meanwhile, we are expected to tour Sakya Monastery and appreciate the magnificent murals and biggest Library of Buddhist scriptures in Tibet. In addition, the epic mountains vista of Mountain Everest is also the highlight.
Day 4: Shigatse to Lhasa via Gyantse 375km (B)
In the morning, we are about to visit Tashilunpo Monastery, the seat of Panchan Lama. Then, we will explore the traditional Barley Mill and view the landscape of Barley Field (in summer). As you reach Gyantse, you can enjoy the stunning vista of Gyangtse Fortress and tour the well-known Gyantse old street and Perklor Monastery, Kumbum stupa.
Next, we will pass the Manak Dam Lake and tourists can hang pray flags at Simila Mountain Pass. After that, you can view Korola Glacier on the roadside. As you pass Gangbala Pass, you will be left in awe by the turquoise Yamdrok Lake and snow-capped Mt. Naiqinkangsang.
Day 5: Lhasa Tour – Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple and Barkhor Street (B)
Today's tour will first bring you to the Potala Palace which is the winter palace of the Dalai lama. It was put to use since the 7th Century by the 33rd great king of Tibet. The most valuable collections of Potala Palace are the gilded burial stupas of former Dalai Lamas and meditation Cave of the 33rd great king of Tibet.
Then after lunch, tourists head to Jokhang temple which was founded by the 33rd great king of Tibet in the 7th century. Inside you can see the statue of Buddha Sakyamuni at the age of twelve. Outside, you can see pilgrims making prostrating in front of Jokhang Temple. Around the temple is Barkhor street, where you can do kora (a religious circle of a building or mountain) with pilgrims and locals, and explore the old market.
Besides, We can taste Tibetan tea with locals in tea house; The welcome dinner will also be arranged accordingly;
With time permitting, you may go with tour guide to visit Tibetan handicraft art or Tibetan Traditional Medicine center. You can upgrade your service to enjoy Tibetan Culture Show in the evening (fr. 60USD)
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 6: Lhasa Tour – Drepung Monastery and Sera Monastery (B)
In the morning ,you are going to visit Drepung monastery which is one of the “great three” Gelug monasteries of Tibet, founded in 1416 by Jamyang choge, one of the Tsongkhapa’s main disciples. You can visit biggest monastery kitchen inside the monastery and enjoy Buddhist Sculpture Carving workshop near Drepung.
In the Afternoon, Tourists will visit Sera Monastery which is another one of the “great three” Gelug monasteries of Tibet. The hot attraction is the Monks debate at around 3 - 5 in the afternoon. In addition, you can tour the Tibetan religious scripture printing house; inside the monastery, you can see three sand Mandalas and colorful Rock Painting of Buddha.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 7: Depart from Lhasa (B)
You will be accompanied with your tour guide to airport/train station by private car, see good-bye and end the trip.
- Tibet travel permit and all other necessary permits to Tibet;
- All entrance ticket fees for all tourist sites listed in the itinerary;
- Personal knowledgeable English-speaking Tibetan local tour guide;
- Personal comfortable, clean and safe vehicle with reliable Tibetan local driver; vehicle ranging from 4WD land cruiser to minibus depending on your group size;
- All lodging listed in the itinerary; it’s your decision about the accommodation class: luxury 5-star international hotel, comfortable 4-star hotel, economic 3-star hotel or budget hostel, guesthouse or tent. Please tell us your accommodation preference when submitting the enquiry; we will arrange the best-value hotels for you.
- Domestic flight/train tickets listed in the itinerary;
- All meals listed in the above itinerary;
- Tourist accident/casualty insurance;
- First aid kit;
- International flight to and out of China;
- Chinese visa (Note: we could help you with the Chinese visa application, like providing the invitation letter, presenting the hotel or domestic flight reservation copies, etc that you may need. )
- Domestic flight/train not listed in the itinerary. (We can provide you the domestic flight/train ticket booking service at the BEST discount price; please contact us our travel experts for the details.)
- Meals not specified in the itinerary; usually it costs about USD3-15 per person for one meal in TAR (Tibet Autonomous Region).
- Tips and gratitude to tour guide and driver;
- Personal expenses, like laundry, phone call, snacks, soft drinks (please do the best to avoid the alcoholic beverages during your Tibet trip), optional tour activities, etc.
Contact us for your dream trip now !Enquire Now
You May Also Like
5 Days Short Visit to Lhasa from Nepal by Air
Kathmandu - Lhasa
9 Days Kathmandu to Lhasa Overland Tour with EBC
Kathmandu - Tibet border - North Face Everest Base Camp - Sakya - Shigatse - Gyantse - Lhasa
10 Days Central Tibet in-depth travel then overland from Tibet to Nepal
Lhasa, Tsedang, Gyantse,Shigatse, Sakya,Everest Base Camp
7 Days Lhasa to Kathmandu Overland without visiting Everest Base Camp
Most Frequently Asked Questions from our Clients
Get Started - 7 Days Kathmandu to Lhasa Overland Trip without EBC