6 Days Lhasa Tour from Hong Kong by Train
(HTT001) Hong Kong - Xining - Qinghai Lake - Train to Lhasa - Lhasa
Escorted by private guide and vehicle; leave 365 days a year!
Easy - suitable for all level of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
Trip Level Guide:
- Easy - suitable for all level of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
- Moderate - suitable for ones with average level fitness, family with kids bigger than 12 yrs.
- Moderate to Strenous - suitable for ones physically fit; have experiences of high altitude trek.
- Strenuous: suitable for adventures and individual with physically fit and healthy.
Starting from the international harbor city of Hong Kong, the tour will first take you to Xining by air. Spending a day in exploring the stunning Qinghai Lake and the Bird Island will be a wonderful experience before your train journey to Tibet. Then, taking no more than 24 hours, the Tibet train will transfer you to the roof of the world, where you will enjoy the best of Lhasa has to offer, including the imposing Potala Palace, revered Jokhang Temple, magnificent Drepung and Sera Monastery. You will also stroll in the bustling Barkhor Street like locals to taste the authentic Tibet culture and lifestyle.
At a GlanceDay 1
Xining ArrivalDay 2
Qinghai Lake Day Tour and Take overnight Train to LhasaDay 3
Enjoy beautiful scenery of Qinghai-Tibet Railway and arrive in LhasaDay 4
Lhasa Tour: Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple and Barker StreetDay 5
Lhasa Tour: Drepung and Sera MonasteryDay 6
Day to Day Itinerary
Day 1: Xining Arrival
From Hong Kong you need to take a connecting flight to Xining, in Qinghai province of China. On arrival in Xining, our guide will transfer you to your reserved hotel. The rest of the day is for you to explore the surroundings or take a rest in the hotel.
Stay overnight in Xining
Day 2: Qinghai Lake Day Tour and Take overnight Train to Lhasa
In the early morning, drive about 2.5 hours from Xining to Qinghai Lake, China's largest inland salt water lake. The ellipse-shaped lake looks like a huge poplar leaf sitting on the alpine prairie. Scenery in Qinghai Lake varies according to seasons. Summer and autumn have the most comfortable weather conditions and the lake's scenery is most beautiful during these seasons. The most charming and attractive place in Qinghai Lake is the Bird Island. It situates on the western shore of the Lake. Cruising for about 30 minutes is a popular way to appreciate the lake. On the way to this charming lake, you can get a view of Riyue Mountain.
In the afternoon, drive back to Xining. Then, transfer to railway station for your overnight train to Lhasa.
Stay overnight in the train
Day 3: Enjoy beautiful scenery of Qinghai-Tibet Railway and arrive in Lhasa
Today, you will enjoy the most beautiful scenery of Qinghai-Tibet Railway, spectacular land of snows, boundless desert, vast grassland, and grand snow-capped mountains, beautiful lakes that will continually appear and strongly attract your heart. You will arrive in Lhasa at about 12:00. Your tour guide will hold a welcome sign with your name on it to greet you at the exit of the train station and escort you from the train station to your reserved hotel in Lhasa. The rest of the day is for you to get acclimatized to the altitude of Lhasa.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 4: Lhasa Tour: Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple and Barker Street
Today's tour will first bring you to the Potala Palace which is the winter palace of the Dalai lama. It was put to use since the 7th Century by the 33rd great king of Tibet. The most valuable collections of Potala Palace are the gilded burial stupas of former Dalai Lamas and meditation Cave of the 33rd great king of Tibet.
Then after lunch, tourists head to Jokhang Temple which was founded by the 33rd great king of Tibet in the 7th century, in order to promote the Buddhist religion. Inside you can see the statue of Buddha Sakyamuni at the age of twelve, perhaps the only most venerated object in Tibetan Buddhism. Around the temple is Barkhor street where you can do kora (a religious circle of a building or mountain) with pilgrims and locals, in the meantime you can buy souvenirs.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 5: Lhasa Tour: Drepung and Sera Monastery
In the morning ,you are going to visit Drepung Monastery which is one of the “great three” Gelug monasteries of Tibet, founded in 1416 by Jamyang choge, one of the Tsongkhapa’s main disciples. Ganden palace used to be Dalai lama’s palace in the Drepung before he moved to the Potala Palace.
In the Afternoon, Tourists will visit Sera Monastery which is another one of the “great three” Gelug monasteries of Tibet, founded in 1419 by Jamchen Chojey, one of the Tsongkhapa’s main disciples. The hot attraction is the Monks debate at around 3 - 5 in the afternoon.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 6: Lhasa Departure
The guide will transfer you to the airport or train station and help you get on board. The tour ends.
- Tibet travel permit and all other necessary permits to Tibet;
- All entrance ticket fees for all tourist sites listed in the itinerary;
- Personal knowledgeable English-speaking Tibetan local tour guide;
- Personal comfortable, clean and safe vehicle with reliable Tibetan local driver; vehicle ranging from 4WD land cruiser to minibus depending on your group size;
- All lodging listed in the itinerary; it’s your decision about the accommodation class: luxury 5-star international hotel, comfortable 4-star hotel, economic 3-star hotel or budget hostel, guesthouse or tent. Please tell us your accommodation preference when submitting the enquiry; we will arrange the best-value hotels for you.
- Domestic flight/train tickets listed in the itinerary;
- All meals listed in the above itinerary;
- Tourist accident/casualty insurance;
- First aid kit;
- International flight to and out of China;
- Chinese visa (Note: we could help you with the Chinese visa application, like providing the invitation letter, presenting the hotel or domestic flight reservation copies, etc that you may need. )
- Domestic flight/train not listed in the itinerary. (We can provide you the domestic flight/train ticket booking service at the BEST discount price; please contact us our travel experts for the details.)
- Meals not specified in the itinerary; usually it costs about USD3-15 per person for one meal in TAR (Tibet Autonomous Region).
- Tips and gratitude to tour guide and driver;
- Personal expenses, like laundry, phone call, snacks, soft drinks (please do the best to avoid the alcoholic beverages during your Tibet trip), optional tour activities, etc.
Contact us for your dream trip now !Enquire Now
You May Also Like
8 Days Lhasa and Namtso Lake Tour from Hong Kong by Train
Hong Kong - Flight to Xining - Qinghai Lake - Train to Lhasa - Namtso Lake - Lhasa
10 Days Tibet Everest Base Camp Tour from Hong Kong by Train
Hong Kong - Flight to Xining - Qinghai Lake - Train to Lhasa - Shigatse - Everest Base Camp - Lhasa
12 Days Tibet Nepal Tour from Hong Kong with Tibet Train Experience
Hong Kong - By flight - Chengdu - By train - Gyantse - Shigatse - EBC - By overland - Kathmandu
14 Days Hong Kong Chengdu Lhasa Xian Beijing Tour
Hong Kong - Chengdu - Train to Lhasa - Lhasa - Xi'an - Beijing
Most Frequently Asked Questions from our Clients
Get Started - 6 Days Lhasa Tour from Hong Kong by Train