6 Days Classic Beijing to Lhasa Train Tour
(BTT006) Train from Beijing - Lhasa
Escorted by private guide and vehicle; leave 365 days a year!
Easy - suitable for all levels of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
Trip Level Guide:
- Easy - suitable for all level of fitness, family with kids and senior groups.
- Moderate - suitable for ones with average level fitness, family with kids bigger than 12 yrs.
- Moderate to Strenous - suitable for ones physically fit; have experiences of high altitude trek.
- Strenuous: suitable for adventures and individual with physically fit and healthy.
Starting from the capital city of China, this 6-day Beijing Lhasa train tour is a classic short journey for tourists to enjoy a legendary Tibet train journey and discover the mysterious land of Tibet. Though it’s a long train ride, you will be rewarded with diverse breathtaking landscape, from massive grassland to majestic snow-capped mountain peaks, while the train runs along the renowned Qinghai-Tibet Railway. When in Lhasa, the center of Tibet, you will expect to visit the magnificent Potala Palace, the revered Jokhang Temple, as well as stroll along the bustling Barkhor Street to witness the life of locals. The Drepung and Sera Monastery will further make you have a deeper understanding of Tibetan Buddhism and culture.
At a GlanceDay 1
Board the train to Lhasa from BeijingDay 2
Train to LhasaDay 3
Arrive in Lhasa and Acclimate to the High Elevation of Lhasa (3,658m)Day 4
Lhasa Tour - Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple, and Barkhor StreetDay 5
Lhasa Tour - Drepung Monastery and Sera MonasteryDay 6
Depart from Lhasa
Day to Day Itinerary
Day 1: Board the train to Lhasa from Beijing
The train departs from Beijing West Railway Station in the evening. It takes about 1 hour to check in as the train takes about 1000 passengers. Please be sure to arrive at the train station for 1 hour and a half before the train departure. Your Tibet Travel Permit will need to be checked when you check in.
Stay overnight on the Train
Day 2: Train to Lhasa
It is quite a long journey that will take about 40 hours to Lhasa. You will first pass through two important provincial capital cities in northwest China, Lanzhou, and Xining. Xining is known as the beginning of Qinghai-Tibet Railway.
Travelling along the rail line, you could see the scenery of the countryside and city in northwest China. The last stop for today is Golmud, where you will arrive in late evening.
Stay overnight on the Train
Day 3: Arrive in Lhasa and Acclimate to the High Elevation of Lhasa (3,658m)
You will witness the most beautiful scenery of Qinghai-Tibet Railway, spectacular land of snow, boundless desert, vast grassland, and grand ice mountains, beautiful lakes that will continually appear and strongly attract your heart.
You will arrive in Lhasa in the noon. Your tour guide will hold a board with your name at the exit of the train station to welcome you. Transfer to the reserved hotel by a private car.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 4: Lhasa Tour - Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple, and Barkhor Street
Today's tour will first bring you to the Potala Palace which is the winter palace of the Dalai Lama. It was put to use since the 7th Century by the 33rd great king of Tibet. The most valuable collections of Potala Palace are the gilded burial stupas of former Dalai Lamas and meditation Cave of the 33rd great king of Tibet.
Then after lunch, tourists head to Jokhang Temple which was founded by the 33rd great king of Tibet in the 7th century, in order to promote the Buddhist religion. Inside you can see the statue of Buddha Sakyamuni at the age of twelve, perhaps the only most venerated object in Tibetan Buddhism. Around the temple is Barkhor Street where you can do kora (a religious circle of a building or mountain) with pilgrims and locals, in the meantime, you can buy souvenirs.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 5: Lhasa Tour - Drepung Monastery and Sera Monastery
Today, you will visit two important monasteries in Lhasa, the Drepung, and the Sera. Drepung Monastery is situated at the foothill of a mountain and was founded by Jamyang Choeje in 1416. It was once home of 10000 monks and Ganden podrang in Drepung is famous it was the government center during fifth Dalai Lama and later moved to the famous Potala Palace during fifth Dalai Lama.
After having lunch, continue to visit the Sera Monastery, which was founded in 1419 by Tsongkapa's disciple Jamchen Choeje. The most attractive is that Monks debiting is held there in the courtyard at around 3-5 in the afternoon section most of the time.
Stay overnight in Lhasa.
Day 6: Depart from Lhasa
The driver will take you to airport or train station.
- Tibet travel permit and all other necessary permits to Tibet;
- All entrance ticket fees for all tourist sites listed in the itinerary;
- Personal knowledgeable English-speaking Tibetan local tour guide;
- Personal comfortable, clean and safe vehicle with reliable Tibetan local driver; vehicle ranging from 4WD land cruiser to minibus depending on your group size;
- All lodging listed in the itinerary; it’s your decision about the accommodation class: luxury 5-star international hotel, comfortable 4-star hotel, economic 3-star hotel or budget hostel, guesthouse or tent. Please tell us your accommodation preference when submitting the enquiry; we will arrange the best-value hotels for you.
- Domestic flight/train tickets listed in the itinerary;
- All meals listed in the above itinerary;
- Tourist accident/casualty insurance;
- First aid kit;
- International flight to and out of China;
- Chinese visa (Note: we could help you with the Chinese visa application, like providing the invitation letter, presenting the hotel or domestic flight reservation copies, etc that you may need. )
- Domestic flight/train not listed in the itinerary. (We can provide you the domestic flight/train ticket booking service at the BEST discount price; please contact us our travel experts for the details.)
- Meals not specified in the itinerary; usually it costs about USD3-15 per person for one meal in TAR (Tibet Autonomous Region).
- Tips and gratitude to tour guide and driver;
- Personal expenses, like laundry, phone call, snacks, soft drinks (please do the best to avoid the alcoholic beverages during your Tibet trip), optional tour activities, etc.
Contact us for your dream trip now !Enquire Now
You May Also Like
8 Days Beijing to Lhasa and Namtso Lake Tour by Train
Train from Beijing - Lhasa - Namtso Lake - Lhasa
10 Days Beijing Lhasa Kathmandu Train Tour with Everest Base Camp
Beijing - By train - Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - Sakya - By overland - Kathmandu
14 Days Beijing Lhasa Kathmandu Overland Tour with Tibet Train Experience
Beijing - By train - Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - EBC - By overland - Kathmandu - Patan - Bhaktapur - Kathmandu
15 Days Tibet and Nepal Tour from Beijing by Train
Beijing - By train - Xian - By train - Lhasa - Yamdrok Lake - Shigatse - EBC - By overland - Kathmandu
Most Frequently Asked Questions from our Clients
Get Started - 6 Days Classic Beijing to Lhasa Train Tour